4/3 recommendations

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
OK, granted it's warm in the house (78 degrees) but just tried on that 4/3 Quik XLT Syncro and it's absurd. Sure it fits well in the waist/stomach/lower torso area but legs and arms are way tight (and I am not swoll in the slightest) and the shoulders are even tighter, couldn't even zip it up. Granted I do have pretty wide shoulders but holy sh!t. Maybe if it's colder in the morning I'll try it on again but my hopes are low right now and I'm bumming hard.

Any suggestions? At my height/weight (6'4" 200-205 [an apparent anomaly in the surfing world]), I don't see any option on the size chart except an XLT. Anyone have any recent experience with Coral Reef in Westminster? I used to get custom 3/3s back in the day 25 years ago from there and they did me well as low as 53 degrees (as cold as it got in VC). But that was obviously a long time ago.

Honest question: COULD I get away with a 3/2 and booties/gloves/hood up north?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
OK, granted it's warm in the house (78 degrees) but just tried on that 4/3 Quik XLT Syncro and it's absurd. Sure it fits well in the waist/stomach/lower torso area but legs and arms are way tight (and I am not swoll in the slightest) and the shoulders are even tighter, couldn't even zip it up. Granted I do have pretty wide shoulders but holy sh!t. Maybe if it's colder in the morning I'll try it on again but my hopes are low right now and I'm bumming hard.

Any suggestions? At my height/weight (6'4" 200-205 [an apparent anomaly in the surfing world]), I don't see any option on the size chart except an XLT. Anyone have any recent experience with Coral Reef in Westminster? I used to get custom 3/3s back in the day 25 years ago from there and they did me well as low as 53 degrees (as cold as it got in VC). But that was obviously a long time ago.

Honest question: COULD I get away with a 3/2 and booties/gloves/hood up north?
How far up north?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
How far up north?
Sonoma County.

I'm thinking of this; the days I froze my ass off in places like OB/Marin, was wearing a 3/2 but it was my feet and hands that really were cold; trunk was fine...

My old 3/2 literally went into the Prima Deschecha landfill 4 days ago but the seam circle covers were leaving bloody holes in my back and that's the last thing I need in shark country. Not to mention it was very uncomfortable.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
I would get a 4/3 as an all around California suit for winter. Add booties and good as needed. I can’t imagine NorCal winter in a 3/2

I love my vissla 4/3. As to sizing I’m short and fat so I am of no help lol

Reactions: sdsrfr

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I would get a 4/3 as an all around California suit for winter. Add booties and good as needed. I can’t imagine NorCal winter in a 3/2

I love my vissla 4/3. As to sizing I’m short and fat so I am of no help lol
I hear you. I need to do some introspection on this. It's actually the air temp not the water that makes me think about this.

I have a strong feeling the sizing ranges on wetsuits are all fucked because they are made in China/Thailand/Papua New Guinea(?) instead of the US. I don't even want to think of the height of their shower heads.

Reactions: MathDebater

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I think there will be a certain point where you'll want a 4/3. Probably around February -May you'll really miss that extra 1mm.

But give it a try and see how long you can go. 5mm booties will help you stay in a 3/2 longer than 3mm booties. Obviously a hood will too.......one that tucks into your wetsuit and covers the back of your neck. That squid lid sh*t is for when the water dips below 70 in SoCal.

:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I am far from a large muscular man but when trying on 5 mils a couple years ago I was amazed how tight the shoulders were on the oneils, like they are cut for small japanese guys. Xcels are the way to go.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Get the cheapest thing possible. The El Cheapo suit will do just fine. Search for something in the $150-$200 range.
Kind of what I was thinking too, thanks. The one I had ordered/tried was about $170. Trying it on while the house was warm may not have helped. :roflmao:

Also, is it just me or are the bottom of the back zips on suits these days cut placed way higher than they used to be? :unsure:

Oh well, in meantime, off to the dump to get rid of household stuff that don't need (moving is a joy). Can't believe I am dawn patrolling that right now but line yesterday afternoon was insane; just turned around and went home. Hopefully still a little swell to grab the wife and kids and hit the usual later this morning.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Kind of what I was thinking too, thanks.
Was joking.

You said your body type has trouble fitting into the standard cuts and you're going to be living in coldwaterland.

I'd suggest ordering a custom suit from a quality manufacturer instead of something cheap OTR.

If you're going OTR the higher end Billabong suits seem well made and have had good feedback in regard to warmth.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
4/3 is standard up there for a reason. Get a proper 4/3, you will thank yourself later. I like the Psycho Series lineup O'Neill makes. Fits my large shoulders well and has great flexibility. When Wise was open I would try on a bunch there and buy the previous year model to knock down the price some. Find a shop near you and try on some different brands and compare. You will walk out all sweaty but its the best way to compare the fit/flex. I've never tried on a cheap suit that felt good and wasn't stiff.

Reactions: sdsrfr and Kento

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
I've been using a 3.5/3mm Feral with a hood and 4mm boots. I'm mainly surfing OBSF so I don't get cold that much as I always have to move around. Feral suit is pretty flexible once its worked in and surprisingly warm for its thickness

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
4/3 is standard up there for a reason. Get a proper 4/3, you will thank yourself later. I like the Psycho Series lineup O'Neill makes. Fits my large shoulders well and has great flexibility. When Wise was open I would try on a bunch there and buy the previous year model to knock down the price some. Find a shop near you and try on some different brands and compare. You will walk out all sweaty but its the best way to compare the fit/flex. I've never tried on a cheap suit that felt good and wasn't stiff.
Thanks - kind of the affirmation I needed to hear. Was despairing a bit last night; trying to find a well-fitted wetsuit stresses me out.

I was laughing with my wife, saying wait, why didn't we move to Hawaii? :monkey:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Was joking.

You said your body type has trouble fitting into the standard cuts and you're going to be living in coldwaterland.

I'd suggest ordering a custom suit from a quality manufacturer instead of something cheap OTR.

If you're going OTR the higher end Billabong suits seem well made and have had good feedback in regard to warmth.
Oh. Well, it seemed plausible. :roflmao:

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
you will not be happy in a 3/2. Maybe it would be fine like now, if the sun is out and the wind is calm and the water is in the mid/high 50's but...

I have been going with $200 +/- suits for the past few years. The expensive suits are nice at first but fall apart just as fast as the cheap ones.

Feral are really nice but I felt always chilly in it.

Reactions: Havoc

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
you will not be happy in a 3/2. Maybe it would be fine like now, if the sun is out and the wind is calm and the water is in the mid/high 50's but...

I have been going with $200 +/- suits for the past few years. The expensive suits are nice at first but fall apart just as fast as the cheap ones.

Feral are really nice but I felt always chilly in it.
Thanks. My feeling exactly. Like I said, I was despairing hard last night also because the move is happening in just a couple weeks and I want to surf up there with minimal delay. It might also be easier to put the suit on inside a walk-in freezer as opposed to an 80 degree house. Well, a happy medium at least.

I remember surfing OB once many years back with a 3/2 and no booties with water in low 50s and it was highly unpleasant. No feeling in my feet at all; I had to look down while on waves to confirm that yes, I still did have feet and yes, they actually were making contact with the board.

Heard the same things re: the relative durability of the expensive suits. For the investment, it should last at least a few seasons. Just so long as the suit is limber enough to touch my toes, lift knee up to armpit level, and cross forearms behind my back, then all is well.

Definitely appreciate the advice everyone - thanks! :cheers: