4/3 recommendations

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
First Mutant I had when I moved north was LT but it wasn't full butter tech. That was my first foray in to cold water suits. MT since then. My 2mm Rip Curl is a LT and I don't think it'd be comfortable if it was thicker. Only other brand I've tried has been Xcel and didn't care for them. There's prob warmer suits but if I'm not warm enough in my 5/4 PT then I'm not surfing.

Lowqi2

OTF status
Mar 17, 2013
There are a few different liners to choose from. Some are designed to be lightweight, others are for warmth. I ask for the warmest liner available.

I have a secondary neck gasket added.

I have the cuffs at the wrists and ankles pulled in slightly from the stock size.

I ask for some seam taping in a couple of high stress areas (ribs and crotch).
Jkb, what suit and liner do you recommend for SoCal/orange county winter water temps (56-59)? are liners needed or should I just go 3/3 no liner?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Jkb, what suit and liner do you recommend for SoCal/orange county winter water temps (56-59)? are liners needed or should I just go 3/3 no liner?
Are you looking to get a Cyber wetsuit?

Everyone has a different threshold for cold water. I was almost always comfortable in a 3/2 Cyber down in OC/SD throughout the entire winter, except for maybe the 2 coldest days of the year. I would mostly dawn patrol.

I think a 3/3 is a good option for the 56-59 range. I'd go with smoothskin, a liner, and a neck gasket. I don't know the names of the different liners, but I ask for the warmest one available.

Oct 26, 2016
Are you looking to get a Cyber wetsuit?

Everyone has a different threshold for cold water. I was almost always comfortable in a 3/2 Cyber down in OC/SD throughout the entire winter, except for maybe the 2 coldest days of the year. I would mostly dawn patrol.

I think a 3/3 is a good option for the 56-59 range. I'd go with smoothskin, a liner, and a neck gasket. I don't know the names of the different liners, but I ask for the warmest one available.
Yeah, going to order a Cyber but it won’t be till late January till I get it. Going to have to get a Isurus 3mm this Friday for immediate replacement of the Fbomb.

was gonna try without liner since it adds another $70 to $80 ....but will reconsider since you recommend it

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Yeah, going to order a Cyber but it won’t be till late January till I get it. Going to have to get a Isurus 3mm this Friday for immediate replacement of the Fbomb.

was gonna try without liner since it adds another $70 to $80 ....but will reconsider since you recommend it
I'm sure you'll be happy with the Isurus. They are good quality suits and it sounds like they've made warmth improvements since I got one.

There will be quite a bit of overlap with a 3mm Isurus and a 3mm Cyber. Are you looking to have 2 suits so you'll always have a dry one?

I do recommend a liner, personally. Others may not. I can definitively say that I've have found suits with liners to be warmer than those without. It's like adding 0.5mm, IMO. Maybe a good compromise for you is getting the lightest liner Cyber has??

Reactions: Aruka
Oct 26, 2016
Yes, keep them in rotation. Kind of needing one asap and Isurus has my size. Trying on some Isurus on Wednesday.

Cyber will be about 2 months out. Plus Cyber rep Steve good with emails but doesn’t seem to want to pick up his phone, lol

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

‘I’ve always felt that if you’re going to have 3mm arms you might as well have 4mm torso.

you can cool down by doing a little flush if needed.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
See a lot of the Feral suits up here in SF. It's becoming camouflage for transplants of slightly below average ability -- that and a Danny Hess board. Guys with that combo are trying so hard to be local that they might as well be wearing a sign that says tech bro.

Anyway, asked a guy in the water about it, and it said it was comfy but not too warm.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
so I got my feral delivered today. I hope I don't jynx myself but this is the most comfortable best fitting suit I've ever put on. Doesn't seem like it's going to be warm, it's that flexible and seemingly thin.

gonna give her a go tomorrow hopefully
My 2yr old 3/2 feral almost as wam as new 4/3 Flashbomb. Way warmer suit than it feels due to the Yamamoto. I’ve been switching them off in rotation the last week.

Reactions: silentbutdeadly

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
See a lot of the Feral suits up here in SF. It's becoming camouflage for transplants of slightly below average ability -- that and a Danny Hess board. Guys with that combo are trying so hard to be local that they might as well be wearing a sign that says tech bro.

Anyway, asked a guy in the water about it, and it said it was comfy but not too warm.
Gonna make a trip up there with my Hess. Can I wear my Padres hat?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

So a Linden gun and Isurus suit is no longer in?

Reactions: ehiunno

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
54 degree water and 47 offshore air in my 3m hooded Isurus Sun perfectly warm and cozy. With no booties my feet were cold as F tho. Same conditions Sat in my 4/3 RC Flashbomb was a little colder. Yamamoto for the win!

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
So a Linden gun and Isurus suit is no longer in?
Actually I was in Aqua Surfboards (RIP Wise) and there were some new Lindens on the rack. A 7'6 and 8'0. They had a flat deck and massive rails. The shop guys said Gary told them the flat decks are all the rage at Nazare this year. I couldn't imagine those rails would want to do anything but go straight.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020
Thought I'd share my experience with some suits some of you might be considering.

Disclaimer: I haven't worn any of these in the water yet. I live in San Diego where the water has been in the high 50's lower 60's in November. I'm 5'10 175 lbs.

Tried the Isurus 3.3 Zipfree in two sizes LS and MT , Feral 4/3 Chest Zip LS, and Rip Curl 4/3 Flashbomb E6 Zipfree without smoothie LS.

Isurus: This is hands down the best feeling wetsuit. Easy on, easy off. Extremely flexible. Neoprene feels like excellent quality. The problem is the sizing for me. According to the size guide, I should be LS. I ordered LS but it feels a bit loose in the neck. Feels great everywhere else. But could be a bit tighter. I worry that in the water this will be a problem. Isurus suggested they send me size MT and I agreed. This one feels tighter but too long. At 5'10", I'm at the bottom of the height range according to the chart. There's a bit of excess material in the torso and behind the knees. I don't like it. I think the perfect size would be the Medium but they are sold out until March/April. Still considering keeping the LS because it feels so good. I'm just worried about flushing with the neck not being as tight as the other suits. Also, because it feels so thin, I'm concerned this will not be warm enough for the coldest days. But many people in the forum have commented that it's plenty warm. I think the compression design must work quite well. The bungee pull on the chest to tighten the upper is not as good as Rip Curl. The suit bunches up around the bungee when it's tightened. The Rip Curl doesn't do that. And the bungee loses some tension when you let it go. Probably a non-issue but I hope they take a look at Rip Curl's suits and improve that part of the suit since their zip free suits are going to be huge sellers.

Feral: Size LS fits great. Hands down the most luxurious, best quality of the suits I tried. I think it's a step above Isurus in craftsmanship and quality. Feels really good on the skin. Also, I think this would easily be the warmest of the suits. But it's pretty restrictive in the shoulders/traps. I know this will get better with use but when the others are so much more flexible right off the bat, it's hard to choose this one. After years in a Patagonia R1, I want better flexibility. I'd choose it if I were surfing somewhere colder than San Diego. Also I like the styling much better than Isurus and RC. Simple and not highly visible logos.

Rip Curl: Size LS fits perfectly. So so flexible. The flash lining is a little itchy but I don't expect I'll feel that in the water. Love how easily it goes on and comes off. Quality of the neoprene looks like sh!t compared to the Yamamoto suits. But ultimately I think I'm choosing this one because it's flexible and fits well. Also of note is the zip free closure mechanism is superior to the one on the Isurus.

In the end, I wish Isurus had a medium in stock. And I will get a 2.2 zip free when the time comes. But for now, the water is pretty chilly and my leaking, very, very old Patagonia 3 mil isn't cutting it.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020

What's the story with your fbomb? Didn't like it? Didn't last Long? I just ordered a 4/3 zip free. Feels good. Haven't been in the water yet.

Dec 1, 2020
6'9", 235 here. I ordered a Flashbomb because I saw it online for a good price. I should have gone with my gut and went straight for the O'Neill Heat. The Fbomb felt like it could have gotten me through the Iditarod, it was so warm. It felt very durable, too. If size weren't an issue, I'd have kept it. But, the O'Neill Heat offers much more room (both suits were XLT). The Fbomb compressed my spine and felt like it was cutting off circulation to my extremities, while the Heat feels much more comfortable. If anyone is in a situation like mine, get an O'Neill.

Edit: I'm not a surfer, but I consulted with a surfer/DJ as I was on the hunt for my suit. If anyone here likes Nu Disco, perhaps you'd like to put his music in your ears:

Edit again: Link removed. Message me if you're interested.

Last edited:

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
6'9", 235 here. I ordered a Flashbomb because I saw it online for a good price. I should have gone with my gut and went straight for the O'Neill Heat. The Fbomb felt like it could have gotten me through the Iditarod, it was so warm. It felt very durable, too. If size weren't an issue, I'd have kept it. But, the O'Neill Heat offers much more room (both suits were XLT). The Fbomb compressed my spine and felt like it was cutting off circulation to my extremities, while the Heat feels much more comfortable. If anyone is in a situation like mine, get an O'Neill.

Edit: I'm not a surfer, but I consulted with a surfer/DJ as I was on the hunt for my suit. If anyone here likes Nu Disco, perhaps you'd like to put his music in your ears: H E N D O's SoundCloud.
First of all, stop looking down at all of us
Second, show us your high altitude t!ts.
please and thank you