“I can’t breathe” 2.0

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
For some guys, just being restrained with their hands behind their back and laying prone can inhibit their breathing, particularly if they're on chemistry or have worked themselves into that excited delirium. Sometimes with obese people, too.

I never liked the carotid restraint to begin with. I only saw it work as intended a couple times. Sheriff Deputies at the jail who were well-practiced at it and one of my sergeants who liked to bust that out as his go-to move.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I read one analysis that claims the choke was held for four minutes after he passed out. I swear the cop on top of him looks like he is enjoying himself.
It looks like the black dude scared the life out of him before what the video and he's making the black do pay for that.

The cop looks scared/angry

Totally disregulated.

The rational part of his brain is shut down.

I don't get why there is not more innovation in non leathal restraint.

The black guy is dead. His family's lives are ruined.

The cop's life and the life of his family is ruined.

The tax payers will incur a HUGE cost for this catastrophe.

Black people have another reason to be freaked out.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Body triangle?
that’s one way but it requires a squeeze that can’t be sustained for long. Body triangle is good for smashing your internal organs.

Knee on belly (sternum) works as long as you have something to grip on and pull up your victim.

What I do is a modified side control. My arm (nearest the head) goes under the victim’s back right next to and parallel to the spine, I’mi on my toes driving my chest into their chest and shoulder pressure cross face. It constricts the chest cavity and makes it painful to breathe in if you try. The cross face turns the head helping to increase the pressure.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
You can also suffer brain damage and die from limited airflow and still make noise. You know that and I know that. Ask Caca about hypoxemia.
That doesn’t appear to be what happened here. He passed out from the restriction of blood to the brain and cop didn’t allow blood flow to be restored.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
For some guys, just being restrained with their hands behind their back and laying prone can inhibit their breathing, particularly if they're on chemistry or have worked themselves into that excited delirium. Sometimes with obese people, too.

I never liked the carotid restraint to begin with. I only saw it work as intended a couple times. Sheriff Deputies at the jail who were well-practiced at it and one of my sergeants who liked to bust that out as his go-to move.
The blood is the best and safest way to subdue someone and it’s absurd that it’s been banned by most police departments. When done correctly the perp goes to sleep, you let go and cuff him. He wakes up.

Now you sh!t like on the video. Cop knew what he was doing.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
You can also suffer brain damage and die from limited airflow and still make noise. You know that and I know that. Ask Caca about hypoxemia.
Prolonged (keyword) hypoxia can cause coma, seizures, brain damage and death. I don't believe that can happen in a few minutes however. But then I'm not a doctor and neither are you. If I had to guess, I'd go with a blood choke that was held after he lost consciousness. The gasping and struggling for breath can also be the result of a heart attack. The obvious stress of the situation could have triggered that as well. Regardless, the cop is fvcked. How you summon an ambulance because you think the suspect is in distress and then maintain a choke on what appears to be an unconscious man in the street, I don't get. That guy looked way done to me. He was cuffed and face down in the street. The cop could have easily moved his knee to the back and taken the pressure off of his neck. He chose not to. His life is fvcked from here. Bad choices.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
That doesn’t appear to be what happened here. He passed out from the restriction of blood to the brain and cop didn’t allow blood flow to be restored.
Make sure you submit your findings to the DA and the FBI so they can save taxpayer money from the medical examiner and apply it to the settlement to the victims family. Mkay, thanks.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Prolonged (keyword) hypoxia can cause coma, seizures, brain damage and death. I don't believe that can happen in a few minutes however. But then I'm not a doctor and neither are you. If I had to guess, I'd go with a blood choke that was held after he lost consciousness. The gasping and struggling for breath can also be the result of a heart attack. The obvious stress of the situation could have triggered that as well. Regardless, the cop is fvcked. How you summon an ambulance because you think the suspect is in distress and then maintain a choke on what appears to be an unconscious man in the street, I don't get. That guy looked way done to me. He was cuffed and face down in the street. The cop could have easily moved his knee to the back and taken the pressure off of his neck. He chose not to. His life is fvcked from here. Bad choices.
Did you read the police statement? It’s laughable. The chief and the PR rep should be tossed along with these four cops.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
It looked to me like the cop's knee was between back of the neck and the spine, not across the carotid or across the front of the throat like an armbar. Head was pointed to the victim's right and the cop's feet/shins were crossing over the victim's left. So maybe it was the equivalent of a chest compression.

knee.JPG

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Let's end police forces and let people defend themselves from criminals.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
that’s one way but it requires a squeeze that can’t be sustained for long. Body triangle is good for smashing your internal organs.

Knee on belly (sternum) works as long as you have something to grip on and pull up your victim.

What I do is a modified side control. My arm (nearest the head) goes under the victim’s back right next to and parallel to the spine, I’mi on my toes driving my chest into their chest and shoulder pressure cross face. It constricts the chest cavity and makes it painful to breathe in if you try. The cross face turns the head helping to increase the pressure.
Rico Rodriguez smothered a guy into submission with his bodyfat. I can't find the video. Early Aughts. I think it was Pride. Anyways, that was the best one.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Wut?

There's only one way in and out of your lungs
Stick your head underwater and try.
If enough weight/pressure is on your torso, you can exhale but not inhale, and die.
You can choke on say, a plastic baggie, and exhale, but not inhale, and die.
Pretty sure the act of breathing requires air to go both ways, or you die.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Stick your head underwater and try.
If enough weight/pressure is on your torso, you can exhale but not inhale, and die.
You can choke on say, a plastic baggie, and exhale, but not inhale, and die.
Pretty sure the act of breathing requires air to go both ways, or you die.
We need to have breath holding contest.