“I can’t breathe” 2.0

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Yes and everyone who audibly says they can’t breathe actually can in fact breathe.

I’m not saying what the cop did was ok or not ok (I’ll reserve that judgement for when/if more evidence emerges), I’m just saying if you can make sound with your voice you are breathing.

Science.
Again, I never said otherwise. Although you are conveniently ignoring the fact that people often say "I can't breathe" as a simple way of saying that they are having trouble breathing. When your airway is constricted, it's a lot easier to say "I can't breathe" instead of "I am having trouble breathing, would you mind easing up on my trachea please".

PS: I have 10 years of experience on both sides of this type of “inability” to breathe.
Exactly, which most of the public does not have. Therefore they are more likely to panic and make the situation worse, along with saying "I can't breathe" to get their point across.

Is it comfortable? Hell know. Do you THINK you can’t breathe? Sometimes.

But saying “I can’t breathe” and expecting a cop to believe that you can’t is not going happen. Cops are trained to know that sound = respiration.
Sure, however they should also take that person seriously when if they say "I can't breathe", because it can lead to other issues. Like death.

Reactions: afoaf

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Again, I never said otherwise. Although you are conveniently ignoring the fact that people often say "I can't breathe" as a simple way of saying that they are having trouble breathing. When your airway is constricted, it's a lot easier to say "I can't breathe" instead of "I am having trouble breathing, would you mind easing up on my trachea please".

Exactly, which most of the public does not have. Therefore they are more likely to panic and make the situation worse, along with saying "I can't breathe" to get their point across.

Sure, however they should also take that person seriously when if they say "I can't breathe", because it can lead to other issues. Like death.
You get no argument from me.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Duffy I think you’re missing the point. There are different levels of impairment.

If I held your underwater and gave you a coffee stirrer to use as a snorkel and you eventually died would I be able to argue that technically you were able to breathe so it’s not murder?

Reactions: mundus

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Duffy I think you’re missing the point. There are different levels of impairment.

If I held your underwater and gave you a coffee stirrer to use as a snorkel and you eventually died would I be able to argue that technically you were able to breathe so it’s not murder?
You’re jumping to a lot of conclusions about what I said that I haven’t actually said.

Can you quote where I said that this was ok?

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
You’re jumping to a lot of conclusions about what I said that I haven’t actually said.

Can you quote where I said that this was ok?

You argued that he could breath because he made a sound. I'm pointing out that people who could still breath can still die from impaired breathing. Particularly if it's for an extended period of time. Say 7 min with a 190lb cop kneeling on the back ones neck

Last edited:

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Plus, a knee on your neck might be in the right spot to cut off circulation and choke you out.
That was my first thought, excellent way to compress the carotid, I'd love to see the training the police received for this, what a senseless death

I wonder what the autopsy will show for cause of death

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
That was my first thought, excellent way to compress the carotid, I'd love to see the training the police received for this, what a senseless death
That would be a blood choke.

That's going to be the key. He was allegedly under the influence. So that's another possible cause/contributor.

The cop could have moved the knee to the guys back. I don't know how hard he had been resisting, but at that point it looked like most of the fight was out of him. IMO, he was being stubborn. With the crowd hammering on him, it would have been an admission of guilt to move his knee. In his eyes. Poor choice on his part.

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
You argued that he could breath because he made a sound. I'm pointing out that people who could still breath can still die from impaired breathing. Particularly if it's for an extended period of time. Say 7 min with a 190lb cop kneeling on the back ones neck
Who weighed the cop?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

He’s definitely getting blood choked. Judging from what’s posted I could somewhat safely guess that he’s passed out from loss of blood to the brain. Because of the skip in time we don’t know how long he was out.

When you go sleepy time from a strangle the clock starts ticking. The longer the blood is restricted the more potential for brain damage up to and including death. If he was out for more than a couple minutes that could definitely kill him.

A guy who trained at Gracie Barra in Santa Ynez got choked unconscious, didn’t wake up, died in the ambulance on way to hospital.

Aneurysm.

• Sad
Reactions: the janitor

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Semantics. I just threw out a number that seemed appropriate. Go let a 145lb twink kneel on the back of your neck for 7 min and let us know how it works for you!
cop looks closer to a 140 lb (aging and ugly) twink than a grizzled 190 lb Adonis-like stud (like myself).

And twink boy was on the side of his neck which is worse.

• Haha
Reactions: $kully

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I read one analysis that claims the choke was held for four minutes after he passed out. I swear the cop on top of him looks like he is enjoying himself.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I read one analysis that claims the choke was held for four minutes after he passed out. I swear the cop on top of him looks like he is enjoying himself.
The guy was cuffed right? Not to worry with qualified immunity which in reality is absolute immunity the cop probably will get off. GWS I am not saying this is what you want to happen.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Get ready, the victims complete criminal history will be released while officers disciplinary record will remain sealed.