“I can’t breathe” 2.0

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Do you know how the human vocal chords make sound?
Holy semantics Batman. People say "I can't breathe" all the time when they are having trouble breathing. It's a quick, easy way to get the message across with minimal effort. They are obviously not choking, but they are not exactly in good shape either.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
We also have another Karen, called cops and said a black guy was threatening her life because he asked her to leash her dog, but racism is just a distraction!

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I’m sure whatever he did warranted execution by asphyxiation without due process!

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Holy semantics Batman. People say "I can't breathe" all the time when they are having trouble breathing. It's a quick, easy way to get the message across with minimal effort. They are obviously not choking, but they are not exactly in good shape either.
Yes and everyone who audibly says they can’t breathe actually can in fact breathe.

I’m not saying what the cop did was ok or not ok (I’ll reserve that judgement for when/if more evidence emerges), I’m just saying if you can make sound with your voice you are breathing.

Science.

PS: I have 10 years of experience on both sides of this type of “inability” to breathe.

Is it comfortable? Hell know. Do you THINK you can’t breathe? Sometimes.

But saying “I can’t breathe” and expecting a cop to believe that you can’t is not going happen. Cops are trained to know that sound = respiration.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
It's true, if you're talking you're breathing. But that's not really the point. Once again an unarmed black man has been killed by a cop.
If you're talking, you're exhaling. You can do the same thing with your head underwater but you'll eventually die if you don't come up for a breath. His ability to inhale was obviously nil or severely limited.
Plus, a knee on your neck might be in the right spot to cut off circulation and choke you out.
He's dead, so I'll take the black guy's word for it.