2024 Huatulco Area Surf Guides

Apr 30, 2022
Yes unless you did want a crazy crowded party scene in which case I'd say Maruata, Michoacan is probably a decent bet - as long as you are okay with that scene being in BFE and not a city like Mazatlan or Acapulco.
Is the week after Easter also near as busy as the week before?

And I'm a lot more into towns and villages then I am cities, so rural scene is not a problem. I am more concerned about the cartel + gang violence and travel advisories for that are; it sounds like a much sketchier area than Baja Sur, Nayarit and Oaxaca

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Is the week after Easter also near as busy as the week before?
That is my understanding, but the only time I've been to Latin America in March/April was in 1999 and I went early in the month and Easter was at the end. I went because that was college spring break and as an adult, March is an outstanding surf month and April's a fairly good one in my personal opinion, and these are two of the nicest months of the year where I live even if it's flat. Today is flat and it's 71 and gorgeous.

And I'm a lot more into towns and villages then I am cities, so rural scene is not a problem. I am more concerned about the cartel + gang violence and travel advisories for that are; it sounds like a much sketchier area than Baja Sur, Nayarit and Oaxaca
I have no experience with Oaxaca but assuming you'll be rolling with a guide mostly I'd expect that would be extremely safe. I was in Cabo 20 years ago so I have nothing current there.

My guess is, if you are trying to set up a Nelson/Castelgar cartel and you're moving in on CNJG, you are going to die very swiftly wherever, and if you are there to surf, fish, snorkel, nap, watch quasi-stray dogs fuck, and mind your own business and not disrespect anyone, you will be more or less similarly safe in any of those areas. I've waited for transport on the side of the road for an hour+ in Michoacan and Nayarit and I've never been robbed, even though it feels like I'm asking for it at that point.

I think getting too wedded to a spot rather than a broad region in Mexico is a mistake. There's an excellent variety of surf and transportation options depending on the swell. Let the Bay call the Day.

Apr 30, 2022
"I have no experience with Oaxaca but assuming you'll be rolling with a guide mostly I'd expect that would be extremely safe "

Well apparently I need a guide to surf half the breaks on Oaxaca :p ... but if I visit the area for surf I'd anticipate half the time surfing I'd be seeking a guide or staying at a surf camp, and the other half I'd be solo. Seems Huatulco most of the surf there needs a guide, and less so if you go further east or west...

Michoacan I'd prolly be solo unless I can time it to meet up with my friend who has been visiting the area for many years; he never rents a car though and just stays in La Ticla, but is familiar with the area and has been shuttled to the other surf towns around there. I guess if I stick to the coast side of hwy 200, be respectful an fly a surf board on my vehicle it's pretty safe? ... Just don't go cruising inland on random roads, be an idiot or drive anywhere at night?

Lately in the news I've been reading some pretty brutal stories about the situation in Michoacan.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
"I have no experience with Oaxaca but assuming you'll be rolling with a guide mostly I'd expect that would be extremely safe "

Well apparently I need a guide to surf half the breaks on Oaxaca :p ... but if I visit the area for surf I'd anticipate half the time surfing I'd be seeking a guide or staying at a surf camp, and the other half I'd be solo. Seems Huatulco most of the surf there needs a guide, and less so if you go further east or west...

Michoacan I'd prolly be solo unless I can time it to meet up with my friend who has been visiting the area for many years; he never rents a car though and just stays in La Ticla, but is familiar with the area and has been shuttled to the other surf towns around there. I guess if I stick to the coast side of hwy 200, be respectful an fly a surf board on my vehicle it's pretty safe? ... Just don't go cruising inland on random roads, be an idiot or drive anywhere at night?

Lately in the news I've been reading some pretty brutal stories about the situation in Michoacan.
I daytripped Ticla once in a rando truck rented from a hotel up in Colima state. Lived. Not sure if the car makes you more of a target.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I daytripped Ticla once in a rando truck rented from a hotel up in Colima state. Lived. Not sure if the car makes you more of a target.
Everyone knows what a rental with boards on it is. Assuming he’s going to fly into ixt/zih and rent a car it’s roughly a 4 1/2 hour trip. The bad guys aren’t looking for that, they don’t care about you. You’re not breaking new ground here. There’s always good reefer around, be responsible. Look for off hours between shifts to surf. Pay attention on the road.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
We actually got stopped by non uniform armed men on the way back from Conejo. Even our guide was scared. Kinda sucked.
Meh, you get used to them being around. If you’re around all the time they know who you are and what you’re doing. Besides the law/military and the crooks there are vigilante groups made up of both of the above.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
yeah I'm normally not affected at all but I'm not used to being stopped by armed men in street clothes. Maybe things are different on the mainland part :)

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006

I hear Pascuales is good in late fall and winter. Not so crazy heavy. Stay right there. No guide. I might target a christmas trip there this year.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
I talked to Jaime today.
The guides working around Huatulco have formed an association for this season and beyond. They have standardized fees and services. Booking with them now includes gas, non alcoholic drinks, breakfast, power bars, shade, chairs. Below is fee schedule he sent me.

View attachment 173444
your guide does not seem to answer emails ....

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
So funny hearing people bring up Cartel stuff. Its like a straight guy worried about a gay guy hitting on them.

You know who holds down Scorpion Bay ? Yep....
You never had gay guys hit on you?

What.a faggot.

Last edited: