Caity Simmers, Stud or Dud?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Her world title hopes just increased by 2 fold when Carissa and Steph bounced.

-I think Molly is netter than Caity on an objective level at the moment.

-Caity is still a monster. It'll be interesting what happens if she ever hits a significant growth spurt.
-Caity is sick and improving constantly.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I think Caity has more natural talent and style. Molly is definitely stronger looking but her surfing is a little stiff. Maybe she's overly coached or something. Whatever it is, her surfing doesn't excite me.

If Caity can put on a little more muscle and stay injury free she will be really hard to beat in any condition.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Her world title hopes just increased by 2 fold when Carissa and Steph bounced.

-I think Molly is netter than Caity on an objective level at the moment.

-Caity is still a monster. It'll be interesting what happens if she ever hits a significant growth spurt.
-Caity is sick and improving constantly.
She’s 18 years old. Her parents are short. There is no growth spurt coming lol.

Related, Steph and Carissa bounced because they saw what’s coming, not as some sort of gift to the younger generation.

Molly and Caity are very different surfers. They’ll thrive in different conditions, but will each be top 3 at the end of the year (I’m not writing Caroline off just yet).

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I think Caity has more natural talent and style. Molly is definitely stronger looking but her surfing is a little stiff. Maybe she's overly coached or something. Whatever it is, her surfing doesn't excite me.

If Caity can put on a little more muscle and stay injury free she will be really hard to beat in any condition.
^ This
Another way to put it.
Molly is more of an athlete like most contemporary pro's and she likes to charge.
Caity has the X-factor that can't be taught/trained/coached, such as, Curren or Occy or Dane. Not that she is their equal or will go on to become...? But they seem to share a common disposition, that is unique, and even more so in our era.
It's great to watch it as it happens for her and I hope she doesn't get groomed by corporate influences or gets seriously injured.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Caity has the X-factor that can't be taught/trained/coached, such as, Curren or Occy or Dane. Not that she is their equal or will go on to become...? But they seem to share a common disposition, that is unique, and even more so in our era.
It's great to watch it as it happens for her and I hope she doesn't get groomed by corporate influences or gets seriously injured.
I think the earlier analogy to JJF is spot on. If she can stay healthy, she’s a natural and she will go far.

it’s on her to hit the strength programs before the injuries stack up, not after.

Reactions: Aruka

liquidmedium

OTF status
Jan 4, 2005
moku loa
Caroline Marks popped up in my insta feed.. straight to her page, three dots in the upper right corner… hit block button… no need to see that garbage

This Caity popped up on Insta, checked some post… wow, total ripper. Hit the follow button, instant fan ….

• Dislike
Reactions: Clayster

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I think the earlier analogy to JJF is spot on. If she can stay healthy, she’s a natural and she will go far.

it’s on her to hit the strength programs before the injuries stack up, not after.
I thought about the JJF comparison but thinking about him growing-up on the NS w/ the waves, siblings, and culture compared to Caity in Oceanside… any rational understanding is not mine.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Pretty wild that Joey Buran and Caity are both from Oceanside (we'll use the term loosely).
Joey coched her for the US Team early on.
Now they both won at Pipe.

*It's really fucking awkward that we can't call the winners "Pipe Masters"

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I thought about the JJF comparison but thinking about him growing-up on the NS w/ the waves, siblings, and culture compared to Caity in Oceanside… any rational understanding is not mine.
Agree. I meant the nature aspect not the nurture of their respective playgrounds.

Reactions: Woke AF

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Pretty wild that Joey Buran and Caity are both from Oceanside (we'll use the term loosely).
Joey coched her for the US Team early on.
Now they both won at Pipe.

*It's really fucking awkward that we can't call the winners "Pipe Masters"
Carlsbad does not approve of your loose interpretation…

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
They’re both so good to watch. Between the two, I was impressed by Caitys ability to read the waves so well. In the final, she knew right off the bat when she was on a dud and fit in two decent turns. Molly, on the other hand, took off on a dud and was trying to stall so hard despite there being no barrel. Subtle point I guess, but Caity looked more comfortable/loose, even if she looked a little bit child like.