Brad Gerlach Wave Ki

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I have a few adult learner friends And I think a major flaw is that all of these guys don’t want to waste waves. In their head they want to surf each wave perfect and to completion, but what they end up doing is safety surfing or check turning all the way to the shoulder. I try to tell them to go all out on one turn and risk it to see what if feels like (cause they all say they want to do a snap in the lip). I remember as a grom trying to explode on one turn and learning what that feels like and risking the whole wave to try it. Gotta risk it to even see what it’s like. I see that with Yuri. He wants to ride each wave all the way to the inside, never commits to a big turn.
You talk to adult learners in the lineup? I never. Jeannie is even worse.

My friend is kind of an adult learner hybrid. He surfed as a grom. Didn’t surf for years and now is committed to surfing everyday. He surfs way better than Yury but has some of the same hiccups. He’s a boar whore and will ride a different boar and type of boar each session. Fish, performance twin, midlength, stubby thruster, longboar. He’s had a few Albums, Plasmic and the Twinsman. It’s like using a new baseball glove every game. Never breaks in the glove. He fell on a good wave and asked one of the uncles what he did wrong. John told him wrong sport. Haha.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009

My friend is kind of an adult learner hybrid. He surfed as a grom. Didn’t surf for years and now is committed to surfing everyday. He surfs way better than Yury but has some of the same hiccups. He’s a boar whore and will ride a different boar and type of boar each session. Fish, performance twin, midlength, stubby thruster, longboar. He’s had a few Albums, Plasmic and the Twinsman. It’s like using a new baseball glove every game. Never breaks in the glove. He fell on a good wave and asked one of the uncles what he did wrong. John told him wrong sport. Haha.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Casa might be stuck in a acid filled barrel without a telephone, but he was right about this one.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

I surf at about an intermediate level. I've been in the phase of, "EFF THIS, I'M ONLY RIDING MY THRUSTER IN EVERY SITUATION." While it has definitely helped my surfing, I'm not a 150 lb 'QS surfer and the waves have been absolute shyte. Today I saw a guy who rips riding a widerboard and figured maybe it's time to get the twin fish out again.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I surf at about an intermediate level. I've been in the phase of, "EFF THIS, I'M ONLY RIDING MY THRUSTER IN EVERY SITUATION." While it has definitely helped my surfing, I'm not a 150 lb 'QS surfer and the waves have been absolute shyte. Today I saw a guy who rips riding a widerboard and figured maybe it's time to get the twin fish out again.
He has a T&C Pang Sinr that he got cheap off CL. Last swell he promised to ride the same boar the whole week. He rode a JS Big Baron the first day then the Sinr the rest of the week. I think it helped him dial in that boar.

I ride my DJ twin when the waves have curve and push and my HIC Kerry Tokoro twin fish when the waves are soft. Tokoro 6’0 thruster if we ever get a oh south again. Right tools for the job.

Reactions: Havoc and PRCD

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
I have a few adult learner friends And I think a major flaw is that all of these guys don’t want to waste waves. In their head they want to surf each wave perfect and to completion, but what they end up doing is safety surfing or check turning all the way to the shoulder. I try to tell them to go all out on one turn and risk it to see what if feels like (cause they all say they want to do a snap in the lip). I remember as a grom trying to explode on one turn and learning what that feels like and risking the whole wave to try it. Gotta risk it to even see what it’s like. I see that with Yuri. He wants to ride each wave all the way to the inside, never commits to a big turn.
this is why i love surfing crappy cold punchy beachbreaks. no pressure. nobody cares. so many waves to blow.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
There’s a reef I loved to surf as a grom, it’s a good wave but if you paddle 20 yards deeper, it’s a two pump closeout. Used to love to get empty wave after empty wave of pump and closeout snap. Got to try so many different floater, snap, revo combos.

Adult learners for some stupid reason, want to surf marquee spots and sit next to pros / former pros.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Your best years for learning to surf are when you're young.
So true.

I've had some marginal improvements this year- mostly related to picking the best wave in a set but surfing with my 13 yr old son and his buddies and seeing their rate of improvement is mind blowing.

They all have perfect natural styles from starting young and skateboarding.

Reactions: urchined and PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
So true.

I've had some marginal improvements this year- mostly related to picking the best wave in a set but surfing with my 13 yr old son and his buddies and seeing their rate of improvement is mind blowing.

They all have perfect natural styles from starting young and skateboarding.
I think a lot of it is what @racer1 said - they have a beginner's mind. They're a blank slate and willing to try stuff.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Exactly, an abundance of time and and opportunity to make mistakes.

Bodies and minds that still have heaps of potential for neuro-muscular learning- mostly from simple observation and copying.

Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Waves mean different things at different times.

They don't give a shitt if they fall- no way do I wanna blow a prime set wave.
I have this same mindset and it's probably holding me back. Time passes very quickly at our age. It passes slowly for kids and they assume there will always be another wave.

Reactions: Maz and racer1

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Blowing waves is one thing not charging is another. Eating sh*t sending it is almost as respected as sending it and making it. There’s a regular at my go to that pulls back when it gets thick. The crew just groans someone told her once you got a helmet, a leash and a Tokoro no excuses.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

He sounds like me except the adult learner part haha!

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Yury gotta use some of that YouTube or boar whore money to get to Waco and buy a Stretch. Yeah @racer1 getting reposted by Stretch on IG.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Guys that pick it up well in adulthood are guys like @ReForest - they were good at some other athletic discipline like skating and move well. Eric Koston is another example. You’re not going to go from unathletic to surfing as an adult.
I think previously skating sort of helps but sort of not. Surfing is completely different and the body movements are so different that sometimes it feels like skating hinders improving on surfing maneuvers... but i do think being flexible and active helps when learning to surf better. Honestly, i think the cholo has helped and being so obsessed with surfing that your wife threatens to divorce you! I think that will improve your surfing a lot. Video review and an unhealthy obsession :LOL: