How much name dropping/boasting can you tolerate?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
In social situations?

What are your strategies for dealing with someone like this when you can't escape?

It's mostly surf talk too, so especially irritating.

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I go into mental drift pretty quickly.

I do the same when people talk about work. So much good sh!t out there in the world and you want to talk about WORK?! GTFO. Even my coworkers and I don't talk about work when we're at work. At least we try to avoid it.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
This guy is over the top.

It's the husband of my wife's cousin.

I just can't stand to be around the guy. The self congratulatory stories, the talk of his Navy Seal buddies, he cannot stop talking about himself, etc

I avoided an event she wanted me to attend last week because of this guy, gave him another chance the other day and it was even worse.

I am supposed to be around him again this weekend so I'm hoping to strategize in advance.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar

I just can't stand to be around the guy. The self congratulatory stories, the talk of his Navy Seal buddies, he cannot stop talking about himself, etc

I avoided an event she wanted me to attend last week because of this guy, gave him another chance the other day and it was even worse.

I am supposed to be around him again this weekend so I'm hoping to strategize in advance.
Tell him you know a person who knows a person who punched out Michael Biehn on Kanan Dume and he was in that Navy Seals movie. This person was rampantly full of sh!t but why let the truth get in the way of a distractionary yarn?

You could also pretend to faint and play dead.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018

Maybe take a Benzo as a one off?

Mar 15, 2022
Not sure if this will work in your situation but I carpool with a guy who tells the same stories over and over. It’s gotten to the point where I will tell him his own stories and pretend they’re mine. He’s got a good sense of humor about it and realizes that it’s time to turn up the radio and give us a break.

Maybe you can try the same approach.