Brad Gerlach Wave Ki

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
If you're not skating a pool there's not much carryover.
v. true.

no crossover at all from street.

Most kids who surf here and rip can skate bowls (well).

You can see the flow and the way they get comfortable doing grinds, slides and airs leads to similar manoeuvres in the water.

Also weighting/unweighting and using gravity and potential energy to harness/generate speed with quiet upper body.

Medina and JJF would be two main guys with a skate background who demonstrate that.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
...Maybe some Triactin.
I'm on the gear now. Its like having an electric motor bolted to the underside of my 4' 8" micro foamie. I had my best wave ever since my skateboard accident on it midweek (not sure what day as I'm surfing so much). Thanks for the cue, I just said to myself "triactin teeroi would shred" and I actually managed multiple tiger/superman pumps down the line despite the little flexible fins making for a very slidy ride. I've been practicing the cues in anticipation of getting back on my fibreglass boar, which as of a few days/3 sessions ago has happened.

Getting back on the fibreglass was a bit of a shock, the boar paddles underwater! I suppose that's the difference between 35L and 23. The fibreglass boar does catch waves better though and duckdiving is a breeze in comparison. On my first session I could not turn it - felt too needly and tracky which I realised was incorrect back foot postion - the extra length meant I was popping up with my feet too far forward. Plus I am really out of touch with the way it reacts. The second sesh went much better in onshore messy peaks. This morning had a shocking sesh on it - too big and dumping and I hardly caught anything and came in early to save energy for tomorrow. I did go in this arvo on my standup boog for some easy inside white water takeoff/backoff high tide waves - had considerably more standup time on the boog than the morning sesh on the fibreglass. Apart from being fun I think it helps my popup fitness. Surprisingly once its up and planing it rides little waves all the way to the beach more easily than the fibreglass. I put that down to no fin drag, rectangular planshape holding width and very little rocker.

I'm going to take a rest tomorrow morning (likely to be dumping again) and do my rotator cuff elastic band exercises instead, thus saving energy for the arvo high tide sesh on the fibreglass. Swell will have dropped a bit and it should be peaky at high tide. I'm going to remember the triactin, I can't wait!

• Love
Reactions: teeroi

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I'm on the gear now. Its like having an electric motor bolted to the underside of my 4' 8" micro foamie. I had my best wave ever since my skateboard accident on it midweek (not sure what day as I'm surfing so much). Thanks for the cue, I just said to myself "triactin teeroi would shred" and I actually managed multiple tiger/superman pumps down the line despite the little flexible fins making for a very slidy ride. I've been practicing the cues in anticipation of getting back on my fibreglass boar, which as of a few days/3 sessions ago has happened.

Getting back on the fibreglass was a bit of a shock, the boar paddles underwater! I suppose that's the difference between 35L and 23. The fibreglass boar does catch waves better though and duckdiving is a breeze in comparison. On my first session I could not turn it - felt too needly and tracky which I realised was incorrect back foot postion - the extra length meant I was popping up with my feet too far forward. Plus I am really out of touch with the way it reacts. The second sesh went much better in onshore messy peaks. This morning had a shocking sesh on it - too big and dumping and I hardly caught anything and came in early to save energy for tomorrow. I did go in this arvo on my standup boog for some easy inside white water takeoff/backoff high tide waves - had considerably more standup time on the boog than the morning sesh on the fibreglass. Apart from being fun I think it helps my popup fitness. Surprisingly once its up and planing it rides little waves all the way to the beach more easily than the fibreglass. I put that down to no fin drag, rectangular planshape holding width and very little rocker.

I'm going to take a rest tomorrow morning (likely to be dumping again) and do my rotator cuff elastic band exercises instead, thus saving energy for the arvo high tide sesh on the fibreglass. Swell will have dropped a bit and it should be peaky at high tide. I'm going to remember the triactin, I can't wait!
Glad you’re back in the water.

I watch my friends ease back into surfing after an injury on cheater boars. Mid-lengths or mini- mals. I think it takes longer to get back into shortboar paddling shape doing that. Last time I hurt my shoulder I rode an oversized fish for a couple of surfs then back on my shortboar. My regulars in town and NS are a long paddle and I paddled in as hard as I paddled out. I felt it got me back into my mediocre paddling shape sooner.

23L that’s a chip. My dd are 32L.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Glad you’re back in the water.

I watch my friends ease back into surfing after an injury on cheater boars. Mid-lengths or mini- mals. I think it takes longer to get back into shortboar paddling shape doing that. Last time I hurt my shoulder I rode an oversized fish for a couple of surfs then back on my shortboar. My regulars in town and NS are a long paddle and I paddled in as hard as I paddled out. I felt it got me back into my mediocre paddling shape sooner.

23L that’s a chip. My dd are 32L.
My paddling fitness is good now. I put a lot of work into the rehab exercises and I've been back in the water a while now. The micro foamie has been good, it doesn't paddle or catch waves well because it is short, but its 35L means it sits high out of the water which was good for my shoulder condition, being soft it also helped confidence. I was able to apply the triactin yesterday arvo and committed myself to the takeoffs on the fibreglass and got plenty of waves. I need to get my takeoff timing back, no answer to that other than to get out there and practice and think positive think triactin.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
This guy popped up on YouTube. Surfs much better than Yury and his reviews are more detailed. Plus he’s an older Asian goofy footer. Feeling that. But he’s a little too tall to be in my mental midget club.

Yeah, he’s already erBB approved. Pretty relatable.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
what level of surfer would u all say he is?
Hes pretty good for a tall Asian. He must eat long grain rice.

Black belt fo suu.

Advanced/expert. The squirt he gets on the Bobby Quad in those little waves is high level. If he surfed my regular and minded his manner he would get waves. Maybe not sets unless he knows one of the uncles but he’d get nuggets.

therarebirdshow

OTF status
Jan 28, 2013
www.amazon.com
Is the bottom of the scale the guy you've seen at the regular for ten years and somehow still sucks :)waving: reading through this thread hasn't cured my kookdom) or the fifty year-old dad from Nebraska that tried surfing once on his vacation to Cabo even though he had the shits because he decided to try "ethnic" food for the first time?