Brad Gerlach Wave Ki

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Yury gotta use some of that YouTube or boar whore money to get to Waco and buy a Stretch. Yeah @racer1 getting reposted by Stretch on IG.

mama I made it!

they DM’d me for board dims and if it was okay to repost but I thought they were just gonna repost in their stories, when I saw it was an actual post I almost cried bruh.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I think previously skating sort of helps but sort of not. Surfing is completely different and the body movements are so different that sometimes it feels like skating hinders improving on surfing maneuvers... but i do think being flexible and active helps when learning to surf better. Honestly, i think the cholo has helped and being so obsessed with surfing that your wife threatens to divorce you! I think that will improve your surfing a lot. Video review and an unhealthy obsession :LOL:
I have a cholo on the beach watching me surf. It does help and makes it so I know what is actually happening on a wave. Some people weirdly enough have no clue of what's going on when they are surfing. Yuri is on the cholo train too and we can all see the results :)

1691432218689.png

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
mama I made it!

they DM’d me for board dims and if it was okay to repost but I thought they were just gonna repost in their stories, when I saw it was an actual post I almost cried bruh.
Dude! That edit from Racer was so sick. Makes me wanna go there. Waco should do a repost too. lol.
Need to save up some funds.

Reactions: slipped_disc

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Waco reposted mine in the their stories and I was surprised cause the music has swear words, but then I saw they deleted the story after a couple hours

• Love
Reactions: ReForest

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I think previously skating sort of helps but sort of not. Surfing is completely different and the body movements are so different that sometimes it feels like skating hinders improving on surfing maneuvers... but i do think being flexible and active helps when learning to surf better.
I've seen several skaters pick up surfing relatively quickly later in life. Maybe skating itself doesn't help, but the fact that skaters are tough duus and have the right mindset.

Honestly, i think the cholo has helped and being so obsessed with surfing that your wife threatens to divorce you! I think that will improve your surfing a lot. Video review and an unhealthy obsession :LOL:
I think the cholo can help but it can't teach the feel. You really need to feel the movements. I think about this a lot, ackshually. Did I need video to learn muay thai? No, I did not. I needed reps and to learn the feel. Then again, I had an instructor too. :unsure:

Reactions: Havoc and ReForest

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yury gotta use some of that YouTube or boar whore money to get to Waco and buy a Stretch. Yeah @racer1 getting reposted by Stretch on IG.

he sometimes surfs a pool in a mall in NJ. The waves look awful, as bad as his local but in a different crappy way.
Maybe he should apply to become a founding member of Subway's Sarf Country Club on Long Island! If the wave is half the quality of what they sold Subway, Yury will improve in no time. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: teeroi

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
This thread is beyond any topic by now, so I might just ask here.
- Is there a distinct cholo physiognomy?

The neck and head of several specimen appear to be attached more at a forward position. Not right on top between the shoulders as observed in whiteys and even Mongolians, both aquatic and steppe dwelling.

• Haha

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
That mall pool in jerz costs $200 per session...100% not worth it. Would rather watch Always sunny and eat chips on the couch.

Reactions: ehiunno

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I've seen several skaters pick up surfing relatively quickly later in life. Maybe skating itself doesn't help, but the fact that skaters are tough duus and have the right mindset.

I think the cholo can help but it can't teach the feel. You really need to feel the movements. I think about this a lot, ackshually. Did I need video to learn muay thai? No, I did not. I needed reps and to learn the feel. Then again, I had an instructor too. :unsure:
Ryan Sheckler looks like he is having a hard time picking it up. He's getting better, but not picking it up that fast. I think you are absolutely right... you have to feel it. Maybe watching yourself on Muay Thai would help you? :unsure:

Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Ryan Sheckler looks like he is having a hard time picking it up. He's getting better, but not picking it up that fast. I think you are absolutely right... you have to feel it.
If you have his contact info, can you reach out to him for me and tell him to quit? This is my advice to adult learners (except you) ;)

Maybe watching yourself on Muay Thai would help you? :unsure:
I don't do it anymore. Most of my progress was watching and imitating. Speaking of that, I watched the groms today and they really go huge rather than safe.

• Haha

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I grew up skating from about 8 and didn’t start standup surfing until 14, but used to bodyboard from around 8 as well. I could read waves and the ocean and had been barreled many times. Whoever said bodyboard first was great advice. Also I learned how to eat it by getting rolled in the shorebreak on my Bodyboard.

I think skating actually hindered me. Sure the balance was there, but my stance has always been really narrow from starting on the skateboard. Also in skating, it’s kinda bad style to use your arms, I think that’s why I still barely rotate mine.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I grew up skating from about 8 and didn’t start standup surfing until 14, but used to bodyboard from around 8 as well. I could read waves and the ocean and had been barreled many times. Whoever said bodyboard first was great advice. Also I learned how to eat it by getting rolled in the shorebreak on my Bodyboard.

I think skating actually hindered me. Sure the balance was there, but my stance has always been really narrow from starting on the skateboard. Also in skating, it’s kinda bad style to use your arms, I think that’s why I still barely rotate mine.
Yup! Totally different body mechanics in surfing than in skating. My stance is narrow too from skating and I notice my turns wanna go more horizontal (like a tail slide) instead of under the lip.

There are very few people that can rip on both. Curren Caples is pretty gnarly at both surfing and skating, but i think hes a better skater than he is surfer.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Yup! Totally different body mechanics in surfing than in skating. My stance is narrow too from skating and I notice my turns wanna go more horizontal (like a tail slide) instead of under the lip.

There are very few people that can rip on both. Curren Caples is pretty gnarly at both surfing and skating, but i think hes a better skater than he is surfer.
Also a skater before a surfer, and I have a narrow stance for it.

One benefit though: I do think skating gives you really strong feet and a good sense of foot control which I think is really helpful when surfing. probably more applicable to tranny skating.

ivan Florence is a good example of someone who rips and looks natural either surfing or skating.