Brad Gerlach Wave Ki

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Surfing is hard if you have no athletic background or talent. We compare ourself to pros who are in the top 0,01% of the surfing population skillwise. That's fairly stupid when most of us surf a few times pr week and half-ass it. Yuri is doing just fine compared to when he started and the amount he is in the water.

I owe Yuri a lot. Many of my best posts have been at his expense.

View attachment 159847
, != .

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I watched your Waco clips and was talking to Gregg about it. He said the whole LH crew has been telling you to open up your shoulders more on your turns. With your height and leverage you’ll be throwing Margo buckets.
thanks coach. venmo me the invoice.

joking aside, when I try to open up my shoulders more I end up over turning and blowing waves. I got a 6’4 wingspan so things get fcked up fast. I’m more successful keeping things tighter up top. I can’t do the vibey arm sh!t.

backside I definitely open up my shoulders more but that’s from years of microdosing weed and surfing bowls after high School everyday.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Yuri strikes me as someone with cinderblocks for shoes.

their hips and shoulder move before their feet and are always off balance. It’s like half a second or less but the end result is this stiff out of sync movement I think we are seeing.

sometjmes you see it when folks are playing a game like tennis where they need to quickly react and they move their upper body before setting their legs/stance are ready for that movement.
Like @Northern_Shores said, Yuri has the anthropometry of a horseman. I would add that he has the physiognomy of a bugman which is fitting because he is a computer janitor. There's only so far he's going to take this and he's about there - he's accumulating age and responsibilities faster than he's accumulating skills. Your best years for learning to surf are when you're young.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Its funny to watch a middle aged guy very publicly learn to surf...particularly as an adult it takes a long time and is a slow process, and is painful to witness. I guess a coach helps, but imo there is only one way for anyone to learn to surf...surf a lot. Who knows what a couple more years will bring for the guy...I guess its fitting for the adult learner crew to have their own influencer, god knows theres a lot of them around here.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Its funny to watch a middle aged guy very publicly learn to surf...particularly as an adult it takes a long time and is a slow process, and is painful to witness. I guess a coach helps, but imo there is only one way for anyone to learn to surf...surf a lot. Who knows what a couple more years will bring for the guy...I guess its fitting for the adult learner crew to have their own influencer, god knows theres a lot of them around here.
I'm gonna disagree in this case. Guy's been surfing for 10 years already! I don't think it's gonna happen for him to progress beyond learner stage WITHOUT coaching. He ain't a natural.

I wonder if he actually becomes a decent intermediate surfer if his viewership will suffer...if the beginners can no longer identify with him, who will watch?
I think he loses viewers when they progress past him because he isn't improving. Luckily there's always a new crop of learners every summer!

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Does Yuri Tomo?

Maybe that’s what he needs. He already surf skates.
I’m finally seeing Tomos discounted on the rack for $880 haha. Thankful we can put this trend behind us.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
From what I gather he's also MIA whenever the waves hit head high or above

Know your limits I guess but I figure after 10 years you'd be comfortable enough to push yourself in some mildly challenging conditions? I don't know how you'd expect to progress if you avoid surfing whenever it's good

Reactions: Aruka and oeste858

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I have a few adult learner friends And I think a major flaw is that all of these guys don’t want to waste waves. In their head they want to surf each wave perfect and to completion, but what they end up doing is safety surfing or check turning all the way to the shoulder. I try to tell them to go all out on one turn and risk it to see what if feels like (cause they all say they want to do a snap in the lip). I remember as a grom trying to explode on one turn and learning what that feels like and risking the whole wave to try it. Gotta risk it to even see what it’s like. I see that with Yuri. He wants to ride each wave all the way to the inside, never commits to a big turn.