How far do you live from "your local" surf spot?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Yeah, I wanna know which of you coastal elites lives in one of those villa mansions on La Jolla Farms.

can I use one of your 8 showers after a quick evening surf?

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
I'm about a 10-20 min easy drive to where I normally surf. I would absolutely love to live next to a decent surf break, and be able to walk from my house to surf. Just being able to check it everyday, hop out for a quick before or after work surf. That would be killer. You guys that have that are lucky.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Welcome to my neighborhood. My home break is in the bottom left corner and my home is strait back from there on the bay side of the island. An incredible place to live 10 months out of the year and the other 2 months you just have to hunker down and deal with it.

Picture grabbed off the web. Not one of my own.
I could never live in Santa Cruz, way too cray.
nice photo tho

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I could never live in Santa Cruz, way too cray.
nice photo tho
Its not Santa Cruz. Its a East Coast summer tourist trap. This time of the year is insane with 300,000 summer residents plus god only knows how many day trippers. From September until June there are only about 10,000 year round residents. From late August until mid-June this is an absolutely awesome place to live and raise a family.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Apparently there’s something about what it takes a “local” that I don’t understand.

Help me out here PPK.

He’ll give you a clue.

Which part you own?

How do you respond?

Yeah, li dat.

Actions. Out of the water.

Trestles? GTFO. After 1980? GTFO twice.

If surfing was/is the most important thing in your life wouldn’t be living in California. Not judging, but jfc for real?
How often do you ride the ferris wheels?

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Its not Santa Cruz. Its a East Coast summer tourist trap. This time of the year is insane with 300,000 summer residents plus god only knows how many day trippers. From September until June there are only about 10,000 year round residents. From late August until mid-June this is an absolutely awesome place to live and raise a family.
ugh, even worse than santa cruz

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Welcome to my neighborhood. My home break is in the bottom left corner and my home is strait back from there on the bay side of the island. An incredible place to live 10 months out of the year and the other 2 months you just have to hunker down and deal with it.

Picture grabbed off the web. Not one of my own.
Thanks for sharing! I love seeing shots of beaches and neighborhoods like this.

Reactions: bluengreen

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Here's a little video, made by a friend of mine. It shows the character of the coastline, and our insane weather, quite well.

South Island WC? Absolutely beautiful wherever it is, jealous!

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Thanks for sharing! I love seeing shots of beaches and neighborhoods like this.
Most of the time the waves down the street from my house are garbage but every once in a while the place goes mental. Visiting surf legend on the wave of the day, on the day of the year for 2020. The buffer in my camera filled up long before he exited this tube.

lopez.JPG

There are certainly worse places for a grom to be a grom....... One of mine on the same day as above.

5ADE0E9F-0C7B-427A-9F3B-66CF88A27E23 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Currently about a 15 minute drive from my house to the spot I frequent the most. But I guess I'm not local enough anymore, because I've been barked at a couple times recently - both times by transplants from New Jersey - for daring to sit deep and wait my turn near "their" peak. Being native to a city and having multiple generations of your family live there doesn't count for much these days.

Sponge, about 20 years ago I got told I had "a lot of nerve riding an LA board" at one of the LJ reefs. It was a Spyder I think I found half-wrecked in someone's basement. My grandma lives within a few hundred feet of that reef. EDIT: I lied. The reef is tucked a little further away than I thought. It's almost exactly 2,000 feet from her living room to the peak.

Last edited: