How far do you live from "your local" surf spot?

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
1 hour drive to the first good spot. 1:45 drive to my preferred spot. If no traffic at all (there usually isn't, I live my house at 4am).

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
5 minutes by car ~ a mile but still outside of the tsunami inundation zone so we don't have to evacuate when the sirens go off.
Used to be 5 min to our beach house fronting the breaks we grew up on.
As kids staying at the beach we'd listen to the ocean all night fighting mosquitos with lit punks anticipating a predawn paddle out. or going home to a warm shower/bed and no mosquitos to fight but not feeling and smelling the ocean.

Reactions: Iceman and Boneroni

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
5 minutes by car ~ a mile but still outside of the tsunami inundation zone so we don't have to evacuate when the sirens go off.
Used to be 5 min to our beach house fronting the breaks we grew up on.
As kids staying at the beach we'd listen to the ocean all night fighting mosquitos with lit punks anticipating a predawn paddle out. or going home to a warm shower/bed and no mosquitos to fight but not feeling and smelling the ocean.
That damn foghorn, the thundering UPS plane at dawn, screeching parrots, the hell's Angel wannabe reving his Harley setting off car alarms all the way to West point Loma Blvd. After 35 years living walking distance from the waves the last ten years in Aviera have been like going to heaven.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
They saw my board, a borrowed Windansea Surf Club board from Tom Tweed. Then one of them said, "Dude, that board gives you executive privilege, man." I had to laugh.
I remember that guy.

I thought I lived close, guess not. Takes me 1.5 songs on radio to get to PPP, Crowdiff is 11 minute drive.

Reactions: sdsrfr and sponge

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Nine miles from the ocean. (17 minutes)
Twelve miles from the nearest consistent non-beach break. (25 minutes)
Thirteen miles from LA's most consistent beach break. (18-22 minutes)
Thirty or so miles from where I prefer surfing. (45+ minutes)

Before moving to LA from Santa Cruz I was never more than 1.5 miles from the surf, 7 minutes to my local.

I don't expect to ever have a "local" again. I don't care to be social in the water anyway.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
About equidistant from 92122 to shores but I never surf there... pretty much avoid it like the plague.

7 miles, 15 minutes to my local but within 30 minutes I can be anywhere from the border to oside. best of both worlds when considering work and... I can't afford beach living.

oh and I disagree about living close to localized spots. at least a couple I am thinking of, many of the top tier don't live very close to the break at all.
Not sure how it is now but to your point (in my day anyway) La Mesa crew ruled SMJ.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Not sure how it is now but to your point (in my day anyway) La Mesa crew ruled SMJ.
A handful of those guys are actually from Mission, but not many. I get sh!t every time I paddle out there and I grew up closer to it than 90% of them.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Currently and been a while now.... to damn far, but not that far to where I cant surf a dawnie and be home for lunch or catch a evening sesh after work. My local mountain shred resorts are just as close too. Get about 70-80 sessions a year rn with 2 kids and full time job. Often post up for multiple days when its good and dont even bother when its not. Always have a place to stay (hashtagvanlife) Surf more then some of my buddies who live costal. Remote work has been good to me recently. I've lived biking distance from a fairly consistent spot, but also 100 steps from the sand and still drove like a mofo chasing the carrot. Just the way it is around here. I'll be back someday, hopefully close to a warm sand bottomed point break at least part time.

"Living at the beach isn't the answer. Guys who live at the beach get waterlogged. I'm there for the waves, nothing else." Dora-

misterhat

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2007
Apparently there’s something about what it takes a “local” that I don’t understand.

Help me out here PPK.

He’ll give you a clue.

Which part you own?

How do you respond?

Yeah, li dat.

Actions. Out of the water.

Trestles? GTFO. After 1980? GTFO twice.

If surfing was/is the most important thing in your life wouldn’t be living in California. Not judging, but jfc for real?
Being a local isn't ownership, it's being part of a community. I consider a wave to be localized when your status in the community impacts which waves you catch. Trestles isn't really localized because how good you are is the single biggest factor in what waves you get. Northside HB pier is more localized because your relationships with other surfers is a lot more important than it is at lowers.

edit: When I started surfing in the early 90's living close to a spot used to be important, but with most surfers getting priced out it's not really a factor anymore. This works both ways, too. I couldn't move to PV and paddle out at Lunada and expect to not get sh!t, I would have to know people first.

Last edited:

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
A handful of those guys are actually from Mission, but not many. I get sh!t every time I paddle out there and I grew up closer to it than 90% of them.
The pecking order there always cracks me up, and usually the loudest "locals" are very mediocre surfers.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
The pecking order there always cracks me up, and usually the loudest "locals" are very mediocre surfers.
It was all the SRH HARD AS FOOK crew in the 90s. They got quiet as soon as violence/breath holding contests become imminent.

Reactions: MathDebater

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Currently and been a while now.... to damn far, but not that far to where I cant surf a dawnie and be home for lunch or catch a evening sesh after work. My local mountain shred resorts are just as close too. Get about 70-80 sessions a year rn with 2 kids and full time job. Often post up for multiple days when its good and dont even bother when its not. Always have a place to stay (hashtagvanlife) Surf more then some of my buddies who live costal. Remote work has been good to me recently. I've lived biking distance from a fairly consistent spot, but also 100 steps from the sand and still drove like a mofo chasing the carrot. Just the way it is around here. I'll be back someday, hopefully close to a warm sand bottomed point break at least part time.

"Living at the beach isn't the answer. Guys who live at the beach get waterlogged. I'm there for the waves, nothing else." Dora-
You are definitely on it more than most. The thing that amazes me is how you navigate your way through the Portland war zone to get to the coast. You must have a tank or a big jacked up truck or something. Are there even roads in Portland anymore or is it just rubble and smoke? I heard the smoke and teargas from the burned out city core has made it's way across the country and is polluting the NY skyline now. Oregon sucks.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
when I was up there it was a trip sipping on a killer beer with hipster food in a really nice setting, then walking to my car 1/2 block away it was a complete chitshow

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink