How far do you live from "your local" surf spot?

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
walked to surf this morning.

annual north shore camp out for my bday.

not a soul for miles around.

18mph/onshore, head high and solo for two hours.

Happy start to a new year.

:waving::shaka:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I've heard the SMJ crew tell people "brah this is MISSION BEACH, not San Diego!" As if that makes a difference. Imagine moving from the mainland to Wahiawa, surfing Haleiwa every day, and then hassling JOB when he shows up because his house is 5 miles up the road and not right there.
I can understand the attitude.

If I'm not mistaken USD kids love Mission Beach livin' and every male USD student is a surfer bro.

Imagine a constant rotation of USD surfer bros invading your spot.

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Being a local isn't ownership, it's being part of a community. I consider a wave to be localized when your status in the community impacts which waves you catch.
Status in the community?

So the HB mayor and the city treasurer can basically paddle out and burn everyone? What about the city attorney?

Trestles isn't really localized because how good you are is the single biggest factor in what waves you get. Northside HB pier is more localized because your relationships with other surfers is a lot more important than it is at lowers.
I've never surfed HB so not sure what you're getting at.

If I think it's what you're getting at it doesn't work out well and things get complicated.

When I was growing up it was about one thing: where did you grow up surfing?

This kept it simple. You grew up surfing there you were a part of the pecking order. Otherwise, unless the crowd was minimal, you were just another guy in the water waiting for an opportunity.

Then sometime in the early 2000s as the area population and surfing somewhat exploded that all changed. Cocksucking or being someone's buddy suddenly got you a ticket into the the pecking order and a lot of these guys don't want to wait their turn at times when no one was looking. Spend some months traveling or living elsewhere a bit and come back suddenly some guy you've never seen in your life is paddle battling or setting up to burn you. The SUP thing made it even worse - "Who is this guy who almost clobbered me with his paddle?" "Oh that's so-and-so's friend."

The way I see it, personally, I will never (and should never) have local status at any wave where I didn't grow up surfing. That includes any spot I surf on the regular.

The only thing I can do is use my ability and wave knowledge to get what I can.

An adult blow-in will never understand or have a connection to a spot the way someone who grew up surfing there will.

When I see guys from the East Coast, Texas, Brazil, etc playing local at a place where they arrived as an adult surfer there is something about it that just screams "slimy sense of entitlement."

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Closest beach: 10 minute drive.
Closest decent wave: 12 - 13 minute drive.
Closest really good wave: 20 minutes, but it's always packed when it's good.

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
12 - 15 minute drive to my daily spot. 20 minute drive if I'm looking for something a little different. Then there's those days that you just drive up and down the coast trying to convince yourself that there's something better around the next point. This is where a 20 minute drive turns into an hour search. :foreheadslap:

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Status in the community?

So the HB mayor and the city treasurer can basically paddle out and burn everyone? What about the city attorney?
Given that the HB city attorney sued Newsom to keep the beaches open last year, he can probably have any wave he wants at the Northside pier bowl.

When I was growing up it was about one thing: where did you grow up surfing?

This kept it simple. You grew up surfing there you were a part of the pecking order. Otherwise, unless the crowd was minimal, you were just another guy in the water waiting for an opportunity.

Then sometime in the early 2000s as the area population and surfing somewhat exploded that all changed. Cocksucking or being someone's buddy suddenly got you a ticket into the the pecking order and a lot of these guys don't want to wait their turn at times when no one was looking. Spend some months traveling or living elsewhere a bit and come back suddenly some guy you've never seen in your life is paddle battling or setting up to burn you. The SUP thing made it even worse - "Who is this guy who almost clobbered me with his paddle?" "Oh that's so-and-so's friend."

The way I see it, personally, I will never (and should never) have local status at any wave where I didn't grow up surfing. That includes any spot I surf on the regular.

The only thing I can do is use my ability and wave knowledge to get what I can.

An adult blow-in will never understand or have a connection to a spot the way someone who grew up surfing there will.

When I see guys from the East Coast, Texas, Brazil, etc playing local at a place where they arrived as an adult surfer there is something about it that just screams "slimy sense of entitlement."
This is the exact issue I've been having.

Havoc

May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Given that the HB city attorney sued Newsom to keep the beaches open last year, he can probably have any wave he wants at the Northside pier bowl.

This is the exact issue I've been having.
every time i stay away from a break ive surged for 30+ years, when i get back there is a new crew of entitled fktards i've never seen hassling everyone. its weird but reality these days.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
every time i stay away from a break ive surged for 30+ years, when i get back there is a new crew of entitled fktards i've never seen hassling everyone. its weird but reality these days.
I used to frequently surf a notoriously localized spot. Then I went off the Africa for three years and when I go back there was a while new, young crew on it. My first time back and these guys were taking off on the shoulder and I knew you could make the wave from much further back. These kids would snake me and after about the fourth time one of them kicks out and says, "I'm going to drop in on you every time." Later, while changing on the rocks, one of these knuckleheads sees my board and realizes I'm "from the area." He kind of apologized but said, "You know how it is. You can't just go to the peak." I wasn't back paddling these guys, I was taking off 15 yard up the reef. Because of the bad vibes that and a subsequent day I gave up on the spot. Too many dirty underwearers.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
30-40 minute drive for me. Just long enough to listen to a podcast or a bible sermon. ;)

I've surfed O-side long enough to know who is local and who isn't. I respect all the guys that have been there for years and years. Old farts, kooks, and rippers alike. I stay in my little zones and corners and get the best waves I can without getting in anyones way.

Also, lots of the guys i've made friends with have seen my surfing improve over the years and know how dedicated I am, so sometimes they give me pass when the waves are good and all the local boys are out... which is more than i could ask for or expect.

Havoc

May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
30-40 minute drive for me. Just long enough to listen to a podcast or a bible sermon. ;)

I've surfed O-side long enough to know who is local and who isn't. I respect all the guys that have been there for years and years. Old farts, kooks, and rippers alike. I stay in my little zones and corners and get the best waves I can without getting in anyones way.

Also, lots of the guys i've made friends with have seen my surfing improve over the years and know how dedicated I am, so sometimes they give me pass when the waves are good and all the local boys are out... which is more than i could ask for or expect.
10 iterations of the same tomo is beyond dedication duuu! :cheers:

• Love
Reactions: MathDebater

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
So much this!
I hate having to sound someone who should know better, that their douche friend, just snowballed me or got in my way for the 2nd or 3rd time. A few of the BMC guys at Blacks are the worst when it comes to inviting their buddies to the front of the line.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

kawika

Michael Peterson status
Mar 25, 2003
Alaska/New Mexico/BCS, MX
12 - 15 minute drive to my daily spot. 20 minute drive if I'm looking for something a little different. Then there's those days that you just drive up and down the coast trying to convince yourself that there's something better around the next point. This is where a 20 minute drive turns into an hour search. :foreheadslap:
You just described my life when I lived up top of Corral Canyon. If the points were flat in the spotting scope, then we head North for greener pastures.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
So much this!
I hate having to sound someone who should know better, that their douche friend, just snowballed me or got in my way for the 2nd or 3rd time. A few of the BMC guys at Blacks are the worst when it comes to inviting their buddies to the front of the line.
So I'm bodyboarding at Windansea, catching a few from the outside. Bill Andrews paddles out then says out loud to the lineup, "This Hawaiian boogieboarder is catching all the lefts. Why hasn't anyone dropped in on him yet?" FU Bill. And RIP brother.

kane

Michael Peterson status
Sep 30, 2003
Yeah, I wanna know which of you coastal elites lives in one of those villa mansions on La Jolla Farms.

can I use one of your 8 showers after a quick evening surf?
Alisha keys leaves me a key under the door mat.