How far do you live from "your local" surf spot?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
9.5 miles away and takes about 10 minutes to get there, but they recently approved a bunch of new development to transform my neighborhood so that fast track might soon change.

I'm 4 miles from the nearest beach but a lot of the "locals" are from places like NJ so I try to avoid it unless it's actually good. There's a moustached guy there right now who always wears soccer jerseys now riding a keel fish who was always kind of a hog. He now has posted himself at the top of the pecking order for 2nd shift. He paddles back to the top every time and takes every wave. Always thought he grew up there - then I overhear him talking the other day - he's an adult learner who didn't grow up there.

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
used to be less than a few hundred yards, about a 5min walk. now, about a 10min drive.

now that I drive I actually surf a larger variety of spots. doubt I’ll ever have the same local status as I once had/have at the old local.

I do miss taking my wetsuit off in the shower, however.

Reactions: MathDebater

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
300 yards to the end of the street. Been a shitload more broken glass than usual this Summer. The Pier's not quite a mile but it's so crowded I surf it a handful of times each year now. Mayport's a minor 10 minutes first thing in the morning if I avoid the Navy traffic jam that can gridlock the last few hundred yards. The rest of the time it's a meme of Walmart mobility scooter-tier stupidity for a shade under 20 minutes.

Reactions: Aruka

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
I think that's the general sentiment, but to my mind, completely silly.
Yup. And if you are on the mauka side of I-5, you're a val!

Other places, the wrong surfboard or wetsuit will show you are "not local."

To me, it's the place you put the hard yards into. The place you surf the most and the place where you've worked your way into some sort of pecking order, at least socially. It so happens that it's mostly only possible that you can do that at a spot that's fairly close.
One time I was at Windansea when some young punks started yelling, "Go back to Clairemont." (Val) After I confronted them, they backed off. They saw my board, a borrowed Windansea Surf Club board from Tom Tweed. Then one of them said, "Dude, that board gives you executive privilege, man." I had to laugh.

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest and sdsrfr

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
About equidistant from 92122 to shores but I never surf there... pretty much avoid it like the plague.

7 miles, 15 minutes to my local but within 30 minutes I can be anywhere from the border to oside. best of both worlds when considering work and... I can't afford beach living.

oh and I disagree about living close to localized spots. at least a couple I am thinking of, many of the top tier don't live very close to the break at all.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
We measure in clicks here.

3kms to slab i can no longer partake of.
5kms to beach break i hit up in off-season.
(Both by dirt track)

20 minutes from the point breaks i surf in winter up north.

1,5 hours from the south tip end of the island.

Less to anything closer.

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
For about 25 years I lived on a barrier island of NC and was always less then 5 minutes from the surf. Come time to buy a house couldnt afford to buy on the island so I'm now about 15 minutes from the surf. I always imagined myself living at the beach all my life but now have a couple acres of mostly wooded land at the end of a quiet cul-da-sac and absolutely love it although there are days I miss living so close to the ocean and would get more sessions in if I was still just a bike ride away.