How far do you live from "your local" surf spot?

kawika

Michael Peterson status
Mar 25, 2003
Alaska/New Mexico/BCS, MX
Would love a pic of your area. You're in Alaska, right?
After 30 years in AK, I moved to coastal PNW. It's rural enough that it still feels like Alaska but access is easier and the water is slightly warmer. :cheers: I lived in Kodiak for about 5 years and that was the only time I had easy access to surf in Alaska.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I'm a 3-5 minute drive to the Cardiff-Swami's complex/Encinitas alphabet streets zone depending on lights and which street I choose to get to the beach. I'm a 15-20 min drive to my lifetime regular spot.

It's always fun to be getting vibed by some blow in that's been a "local" for a couple of years and then be warmly greeted by a real long-timer. The look on Mr. insta-locs face is always priceless and the apology is always accepted. The LJ reefs trip me out....

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Being a local isn't ownership, it's being part of a community. I consider a wave to be localized when your status in the community impacts which waves you catch. Trestles isn't really localized because how good you are is the single biggest factor in what waves you get. Northside HB pier is more localized because your relationships with other surfers is a lot more important than it is at lowers.

edit: When I started surfing in the early 90's living close to a spot used to be important, but with most surfers getting priced out it's not really a factor anymore. This works both ways, too. I couldn't move to PV and paddle out at Lunada and expect to not get sh!t, I would have to know people first.
Up until very recently we were a community of one full time (me) and my wife and kids part time. There are three new people that spend half their time here. Good people. We’re now outnumbered by vacation rental places. I spent well over 1,500 nights here with no other humans within 7km of bad dirt road. The last time I surfed lowers was May 1979, north side hb, 1973.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
The pecking order there always cracks me up, and usually the loudest "locals" are very mediocre surfers.
I'm a mediocre surfer. I have no illusions about this. And I have no problem with a bit of localism to maintain order in the status quo. I'm just not going to listen to it when I'm the target of it in my own hometown, at waves a couple miles from where I took my first steps.

I've heard the SMJ crew tell people "brah this is MISSION BEACH, not San Diego!" As if that makes a difference. Imagine moving from the mainland to Wahiawa, surfing Haleiwa every day, and then hassling JOB when he shows up because his house is 5 miles up the road and not right there.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
I'm a mediocre surfer. I have no illusions about this. And I have no problem with a bit of localism to maintain order in the status quo. I'm just not going to listen to it when I'm the target of it in my own hometown, at waves a couple miles from where I took my first steps.

I've heard the SMJ crew tell people "brah this is MISSION BEACH, not San Diego!" As if that makes a difference. Imagine moving from the mainland to Wahiawa, surfing Haleiwa every day, and then hassling JOB when he shows up because his house is 5 miles up the road and not right there.
right - talented surfers will surf ... friendly ones will make friends, dicks will be dicks

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I actually had something similar happen.

This guy snaked me and I asked him what was with the back paddle? In the most haole accent imaginable he responds with "brah, who you? Where you from?". I was born and raised literally 3 miles away from where we were surfing. My uncles and grand parents ashes were spread at the beach up the road. This guy moved here with his military parents a few years ago and was white as can be. He was 18 and literally half my size. It was so absurd that I just laughed at him. My friend who saw the whole thing proceeded to burn him every time he saw him.

Cool story bro.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I actually had something similar happen.

This guy snaked me and I asked him what was with the back paddle? In the most haole accent imaginable he responds with "brah, who you? Where you from?". I was born and raised literally 3 miles away from where we were surfing. My uncles and grand parents ashes were spread at the beach up the road. This guy moved here with his military parents a few years ago and was white as can be. He was 18 and literally half my size. It was so absurd that I just laughed at him. My friend who saw the whole thing proceeded to burn him every time he saw him.

Cool story bro.
someone like that I would just drop in on relentlessly and if he complains tell him ur just getting started

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
edit: When I started surfing in the early 90's living close to a spot used to be important, but with most surfers getting priced out it's not really a factor anymore. This works both ways, too. I couldn't move to PV and paddle out at Lunada and expect to not get sh!t, I would have to know people first.
I bought my house specifically because of its proximity to my favorite surf spot. It was a life goal I made for myself when I was about 14 and had to rely on my older sisters to drive me to the beach to surf. Pulled in off in the first half of my 20s. There were no surf cams back then and just unreliable telephone recorded surf reports. If you wanted to be on it every time it was good you really had to live close enough to check it in person. By the late 90s most people had cell phones. Used to **** me off to see someone on the steps calling all his buddies to tell them it was good at a particular spot and I'd be sure to burn in the water.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
I'm a 3-5 minute drive to the Cardiff-Swami's complex/Encinitas alphabet streets zone depending on lights and which street I choose to get to the beach. I'm a 15-20 min drive to my lifetime regular spot.

It's always fun to be getting vibed by some blow in that's been a "local" for a couple of years and then be warmly greeted by a real long-timer. The look on Mr. insta-locs face is always priceless and the apology is always accepted. The LJ reefs trip me out....
Started going south on 5 to Lomas st fe because the chesterfield intersection just bugs me. LJ reefs trip me out too. Random guys out there somehow making it really hard to be in the right place at the right time. No worries, it's all gravy now anyway.

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
10 minutes drive but it doesn't matter how far it is, as its FLAT! 2 weeks of flat actually.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Way way back last century, the Mission Jetty guys were happy to get scraps at Blacks. J.P., Andre, Johnny Boland. Good times. LOL, they got plenty behind NPSP and myself.
Those were some very fun times. I never pulled status on JP though, he was my hook up for cheap wetsuits and I didn't want to get stuck with neon pink or some other heinous color.

• Haha
Reactions: Boneroni