How far do you live from "your local" surf spot?

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
No particular reason for asking, just curious :)

I'm about 10ish minutes' drive (depending if I get caught by a couple of traffic lights). Wish I could afford a house within walking distance, but moaning about 10ish minutes' drive is the epitome of first world problems :D

What's your surf-commute?

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Before my knee replacement, I am 3-4 minutes away from Cardiff Reef. Have not moved but am now one of those former surfers…. Still love seeing the surfers from PCH on my daily walks.

Guys, get the stoke, as much stoke as possible. One day, you’ll wake up and it will all be history. Believe me…

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I noticed a general rule that the closer you live to your local beach, the more local you are.
I think that's the general sentiment, but to my mind, completely silly.

To me, it's the place you put the hard yards into. The place you surf the most and the place where you've worked your way into some sort of pecking order, at least socially. It so happens that it's mostly only possible that you can do that at a spot that's fairly close.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
439 yards to the sand. Another Few hundred yards down the beach if the sandbar to the east looks better than the jetty. And about a quarter mile further east if that’s the spot working best

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
2150 feet, according to Google. couple minutes by bike.

Before my knee replacement, I am 3-4 minutes away from Cardiff Reef. Have not moved but am now one of those former surfers…. Still love seeing the surfers from PCH on my daily walks.

Guys, get the stoke, as much stoke as possible. One day, you’ll wake up and it will all be history. Believe me…
am nursing a knee injury right now, with uncertain prognosis. one minute, everything was great - one wrong move later, my knee doesn't work properly. gonna give it another week of RICE and see what is still possible.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Boneroni and Havoc

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
The farthest I've lived since I left my parents house, 8 miles. Fortunately it's only 15 minutes thanks to the proximity of the freeway. It's looking like our next home will push me another 5 minutes or so inland via surface streets. It could be worse but I do miss living close enough that all my sh!t got rusty.

Reactions: keenfish and Havoc