XTR

Aug 31, 2019
They get about this yellow:

oof-- how long have you had that board to get that yellow? when was that board made? i assume the bottom is whiter than the top side. yeah def thinking of getting some color now.

Aug 31, 2019
Yeah, Yellows in blotches too, not all over. Shame because the construction lasts a lot longer.
Color is key. My next one would def be that dank af olive green color that was posted in the Ghost thread.
yeah definitley gonna consider getting color now. care to share the pic of the olive green ghost? i am thinking of a ghostly teal/greenish color fade with black rails -- goes with the phantom asthetic.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
that's not my board, but I have a ghost that's 3 years old and it turned that yellow in about 3-4 months. I ended up spraying it myself.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Aug 30, 2020
hex.com
Heres the photo of the olive green from XTR. Also the dark grey that comes out with a purpleish tint.

These boards look like they are going to last a very long time.

It will be a couple months before I can get ride reports out on the flex values. Land locked atm

That TOMO looks like it might be 7. They said they fixed the yellowing with version 8.

Attachments

Last edited:

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
FYI: You can get Aipa's through XTR now.
I'm not sure which Aipa answered my emails, but he answered all and sent me a rendering based on my dims within 24 hours each time. I didnt even ask for it... That earns my business
1605883705405.png

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2009
I was getting ready to write my Driver 2.0 review, unfortunately, the tail on my XTR buckled today in 2-3ft Newport after less than 3 months of use... will keep you guys posted on they have to say, but this has been the most frustrating custom board order experience I've ever dealt with.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I'm not sure which Aipa answered my emails, but he answered all and sent me a rendering based on my dims within 24 hours each time. I didnt even ask for it... That earns my business
View attachment 101168
That's from Duke. He's shaping based off of Ben's stuff and his own stuff.

Make no mistake: Duke is the shiz.

I contacted him to make me a Dark Twinn in XTR, and it was off to the races from there. I highly recommend his stuff.

Duke and Akila shape similar boards, although Akila has his own secret sauce.

Reactions: need 4 speed

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
That's from Duke. He's shaping based off of Ben's stuff and his own stuff.

Make no mistake: Duke is the shiz.

I contacted him to make me a Dark Twinn in XTR, and it was off to the races from there. I highly recommend his stuff.

Duke and Akila shape similar boards, although Akila has his own secret sauce.
Its probably yours that caught my eye as I was perusing the 'order status' page... not that I have a board on order. Just one of the weird things i do

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I was getting ready to write my Driver 2.0 review, unfortunately, the tail on my XTR buckled today in 2-3ft Newport after less than 3 months of use... will keep you guys posted on they have to say, but this has been the most frustrating custom board order experience I've ever dealt with.
Was it the parallel carbon construction?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
View attachment 101168
Yeah, I think Duke is making his own variants off dad Ben’s legendary Sting. Their shaping businesses are separate. But they both use the classic AIPA logo which is confusing.
I kinda doubt Akila will offer through XTR. the FW/SD collab may restrict which models he could release. I would like that option for his twin fish models.
I will say that he must be slammed with custom orders. It’s been months.

Reactions: sh3
Jul 5, 2009
Was it the parallel carbon construction?
IMG_8274.jpg
yeah it was, I honestly had more durable team light PU boards from CI, and that's not saying a lot. When I took it to Dan Taylor a few weeks back to get the tail reinforced, he mentioned there were hardly any glass, and the nose was off (whatever, it's the nose) but still...

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
When I took it to Dan Taylor a few weeks back to get the tail reinforced, he mentioned there were hardly any glass, and the nose was off (whatever, it's the nose) but still...
Not surprising - seems par for the course.

Are shapers actually seeing the boards coming out of XTR with their name on them?

So many cases of reeeeeally obvious QC issues over the years... I've had have several personally, multiple reports from other posters here on the BB, seen just plain awful stuff on the used racks too.

And I'm just one person.

Maybe the average consumer doesn't pick up on a lot of stuff so word might not usually get back to the label that contracts XTR.

But the stuff I've seen is not subtle - it's stuff that sticks out like a sore thumb - and would never get the OK from a decent manufacturer.

Last edited:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
View attachment 101218
yeah it was, I honestly had more durable team light PU boards from CI, and that's not saying a lot. When I took it to Dan Taylor a few weeks back to get the tail reinforced, he mentioned there were hardly any glass, and the nose was off (whatever, it's the nose) but still...
What do you mean "to get the tail reinforced?" What did you have done?

Reactions: ReForest

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Not surprising - seems par for the course.

Are shapers actually seeing the boards coming out of XTR with their name on them?

So many cases of reeeeeally obvious QC issues over the years... I've had have several personally, multiple reports from other posters here on the BB, seen just plain awful stuff on the used racks too.

And I'm just one person.

Maybe the average consumer doesn't pick up on a lot of stuff so word might not usually get back to the label that contracts XTR.

But the stuff I've seen is not subtle - it's stuff that sticks out like a sore thumb - and would never get the OK from a decent manufacturer.
Really, I thought most people's experience with XTR was they're more durable in general.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
View attachment 101218
Interesting...

My board in parallel construction feels really light weight (almost too light). The nose was recently broken off and i didnt feel the impact was that hard to do that much damage, but the board hit the other guys board while in the whitewash so it wasnt clear what happened.

Still... it makes me question the construction. Not having a stringer on these parallel carbon boards would certainly be a contributing factor to your break and possibly mine too. It you had a stringer (wood or high density foam) that probably would not have happened. The same could probably be said about mine too.

Having said all that, did you like the feeling and flex of the parallel construction or did you not even notice? @Puffy

Reactions: jkb