XTR

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
here's a pic of the nose, i wasn't too fussed about it, because it was more cosmetic but it was glassed super light on the tip too, I had to get a repair on it three sessions in, but it was my fault duck diving in shallow water.
I cant see the ding? Is it on the very tip or the side of the nose?

Jul 5, 2009
I cant see the ding? Is it on the very tip or the side of the nose?
there's no ding to the nose, just the shape was off, which as I said, I didn't really care for the problem.

and yeah mine was about two months, so two separate batches.

Jul 5, 2009
You doing JJF style backflips with that wax to the nose?
just read a long time ago, having wax all over doesn't really hurt because it really doesn't add that much weight, and you never know what weird things can happen

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I've had like 8 XTR and no issues. Must be lucky.

Didn't you order a T. Patterson from XTR that came out with a botched tail? I remember you posting you contacted T.Patterson about it and they told you indeed the tail should have been nothing like the board you ended up with.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Didn't you order a T. Patterson from XTR that came out with a botched tail? I remember you posting you contacted T.Patterson about it and they told you indeed the tail should have been nothing like the board you ended up with.
No, the board was finished and signed by Patterson so I reckon it was on them. Nothing wrong with XTR's glassing or construction in that case.

I don't doubt any of the posts from people having issues. It really sucks to read. I like how XTR boards ride but it doesn't make me want to keep buying them if the quality is going down.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I've been getting them since probably 2008/2009. I've had around 8 or 9. Mostly shapes from Lost early on. Was really liking the SDII back than in xtr. More Pyzel shapes over the recent years. I've never had an issue other than coloring and most of those boards had to be shipped up north to me in the past. Packaged well and always showed up unscathed. I've only gotten wood stringered boards through them and never felt the need to go away from that. I have an order with them right now being worked on so hopefully my good experience streak continues.

I was looking at a couple of boards my buddy picked up recently. Both shape wise was spot on but both had coloring that was off from the ref he supplied which is something that seems to be a reoccurring theme. I don't care so much about coloring, but it would be nice to see them step their coloring game up. They are consistently inconsistent in that area in my experiences.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I’m a little hesitant in their finishing and color work. I wouldn’t feel confident in a super custom spray and/or tint where you’re expecting exact RAL or Pantone colors. I received two purple/darker purple boards that were supposed to be gray and black. I even referenced a stock XTR board that actually looked (in person) how I wanted mine to turn out and it was evidently too hard to have my board(s) resemble that stock board (twice). If you’ve perused their stock board offerings over the years, it’s hard not to miss the “color mishap” statement on a lot of boards.

My remade Pyzel Astro Pop’s rails still didn’t feel the same as stock PU’s in the same thickness. They were much less refined on the XTR. There are some rumblings from the Pyzel camp that they don’t feel the XTR versions are truly representative of the original files/finished shapes. I was heavily persuaded by a Pyzel employee to get Pyzel’s Electralite tech instead of an XTR. I still think XTR is a solid tech and I’m not writing them off yet, but my first experience with the product’s QC (Javier and Shey are are/were very accommodating) didn’t get me too fired up to build a quiver with their boards.

Reactions: trifish

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
I’m a little hesitant in their finishing and color work. I wouldn’t feel confident in a super custom spray and/or tint where you’re expecting exact RAL or Pantone colors. I received two purple/darker purple boards that were supposed to be gray and black. I even referenced a stock XTR board that actually looked (in person) how I wanted mine to turn out and it was evidently too hard to have my board(s) resemble that stock board (twice). If you’ve perused their stock board offerings over the years, it’s hard not to miss the “color mishap” statement on a lot of boards.

My remade Pyzel Astro Pop’s rails still didn’t feel the same as stock PU’s in the same thickness. They were much less refined on the XTR. There are some rumblings from the Pyzel camp that they don’t feel the XTR versions are truly representative of the original files/finished shapes. I was heavily persuaded by a Pyzel employee to get Pyzel’s Electralite tech instead of an XTR. I still think XTR is a solid tech and I’m not writing them off yet, but my first experience with the product’s QC (Javier and Shey are are/were very accommodating) didn’t get me too fired up to build a quiver with their boards.
Same shaper, Ollie, does Pyzel and XTR's Pyzel. They're a 3 minute walk from each other.

Reactions: oeste858

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
No, the board was finished and signed by Patterson so I reckon it was on them.
Do you know for a fact the board was finished by TP?

From looking at their list of boards in production over the years it doesn't seem like he makes up a large percentage of their output. I'd find it hard to believe he drives up to Oceanside to finish one or two boards every once in a while. Maybe they ride down to San Clemenny with someone and he finishes them and sends them back up there.

That really surprises me that a shaper of his caliber with 40+ years of experience would totally goof a board like that and be alright with sending it out to a customer. Most guys at his level wouldn't want to sign their name on something like that.

All my Tomos were "signed" by DT with his sig but I know he never touched them.

Reactions: sh3

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Same shaper, Ollie, does Pyzel and XTR's Pyzel. They're a 3 minute walk from each other.
I know, I met Ollie and got the low-down from the Pyzel guys. Ollie isn’t finishing the boards and my issue with the Astro Pop was a glassing/sanding issue. The Pyzel employee steering me away from XTR to their Electralite was during a phone call prior to me ordering through XTR.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Do you know for a fact the board was finished by TP?

From looking at their list of boards in production over the years it doesn't seem like he makes up a large percentage of their output. I'd find it hard to believe he drives up to Oceanside to finish one or two boards every once in a while. Maybe they ride down to San Clemenny with someone and he finishes them and sends them back up there.

That really surprises me that a shaper of his caliber with 40+ years of experience would totally goof a board like that and be alright with sending it out to a customer. Most guys at his level wouldn't want to sign their name on something like that.

All my Tomos were "signed" by DT with his sig but I know he never touched them.
The guys at TP said the blanks are cut at XTR and then finished by Timmy. The signature is identical to my other TP boards.

Reactions: JDJ

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
The guys at TP said the blanks are cut at XTR and then finished by Timmy. The signature is identical to my other TP boards.
I think Timmy had a small learning curve when I he finally started to go epoxy and XTR route. I think everything is pretty tight compared to the time period when Aruka ordered that board.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
The color on epoxy doesnt totally set in right away. It takes weeks or months for the color to set it. I ordered a grey El Tomo from XTR and when i picked it up it was purple. I was a little bummed about it. I sold it and saw it a couple months later and it was grey! Totally changed color on me.