XTR

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
View attachment 101218
yeah it was, I honestly had more durable team light PU boards from CI, and that's not saying a lot. When I took it to Dan Taylor a few weeks back to get the tail reinforced, he mentioned there were hardly any glass, and the nose was off (whatever, it's the nose) but still...
seems it broke right after the carbon stopped. looks to create a weak point where you need the most strength, major design flaw. still interested in the SL-C construction, any ride reports?

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
looks like you can choose to extend the carbon all the way to the end of the tail, maybe a better option for next time.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
seems it broke right after the carbon stopped. looks to create a weak point where you need the most strength, major design flaw. still interested in the SL-C construction, any ride reports?
I just sold my Pyzel Astro Pop (5'6" x 19 1/2" x 2 3/8", 28.6L) in SL-C and 8.C glassing. There was an QC issue that has been discussed ad nauseam earlier in this thread and was rectified by XTR with a replacement board.

It's difficult to compare varying constructions across different shapes. The two SL-C boards XTR produced were off the same order card, but had different flex values listed (4 vs. 6) and the second one was noticeably heavier than the first.

I was told SL-C was their recommended construction for those that didn't like the aesthetics of the parallel carbon and though it not have the same desired flex rebound, it was a close second.

To me, XTR's SL-C felt pretty similar flex wise to Future Flex, so more on the stiff side compared to PU. Again, I'm comparing the seven boards I've had owned in Future Flex (+ two I've Awayco'd) to the XTR. The SL-C felt stiffer than my Varial/Infused Glass board, albeit they're all different models, but they're all within four inches in length (5'6' - 5'10") , 2.375" thick and similar volume.

I'm surfing smallish beachbreak 95% of the time, so I don't think any alt construction's characteristics are going to be exemplified in the waves I'm surfing. I'm mostly riding these alternative constructions to get a little more longevity out of a board's "pop/liveliness" compared to PU and some added durability.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
To be be fair, i really liked the flex on the parallel carbon. You could really feel the spring and projection off a deep bottom turn. It launched you up the face. However the board was so light weight that it would be hard set the rail at times. I think i am going to order the same board in a new construction for a comparison.

Jul 5, 2009
What do you mean "to get the tail reinforced?" What did you have done?
Oh yeah I made a post a few weeks back about the issue, the leash on my board (the flap part, not the string, I know how to tie a proper leash string hehe) started to eat into my board less than a month into my use, and it was getting to the point where it was eating through the foam and my tail was starting to get squishy, I contacted Shey about it, and they told me to drop it off overnight in their shop to "add some reinforcement", but for me, it wasn't worth the time and money to drop off a board 80 miles away from where I live overnight, so I just went to Dan Taylor to help me get the reinforcement. I will put up some pictures of the nose later...

Being out of town during October, I've had the board for less time than the 12+ weeks of waiting time I've had with this board, it just felt like a huge slap on the face with the whole thing... Shey had mentioned he could probably get me a board at cost, or I might go directly to lost and give lightspeed a chance, as they shape did click with me.

Attachments

Reactions: jkb and ReForest
Jul 5, 2009
I just sold my Pyzel Astro Pop (5'6" x 19 1/2" x 2 3/8", 28.6L) in SL-C and 8.C glassing. There was an QC issue that has been discussed ad nauseam earlier in this thread and was rectified by XTR with a replacement board.

It's difficult to compare varying constructions across different shapes. The two SL-C boards XTR produced were off the same order card, but had different flex values listed (4 vs. 6) and the second one was noticeably heavier than the first.

I was told SL-C was their recommended construction for those that didn't like the aesthetics of the parallel carbon and though it not have the same desired flex rebound, it was a close second.

To me, XTR's SL-C felt pretty similar flex wise to Future Flex, so more on the stiff side compared to PU. Again, I'm comparing the seven boards I've had owned in Future Flex (+ two I've Awayco'd) to the XTR. The SL-C felt stiffer than my Varial/Infused Glass board, albeit they're all different models, but they're all within four inches in length (5'6' - 5'10") , 2.375" thick and similar volume.

I'm surfing smallish beachbreak 95% of the time, so I don't think any alt construction's characteristics are going to be exemplified in the waves I'm surfing. I'm mostly riding these alternative constructions to get a little more longevity out of a board's "pop/liveliness" compared to PU and some added durability.
I'm with you, my last 8.0 pyzel ghost was almost 7lbs+ which was a bit heavier than some of my PU boards.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Curious what made you end up selling it? It seemed like you were happy with the replacement board. Sucks to put in all that time and money and end up selling the board.

These stories of QC issues make me sad. Javi seems like the kind of guy who's shop I'd want to support. Obviously all shapers produce the occasional dud, but it does make me wonder what kind of volume they are putting out that there would be this many QC problems.

If there are any issues with the two I've gotten they have escaped my eye. I agree the carbon stopping in the middle of the tail block seems like a strange design decision. The Gremlin I have is a 5-fin and so the PC runs to the quad box which hopefully would help mitigate the issue. The Shadow is a thruster and has the PC all the way to the end of the tail. It's also basically the perfect weight for decent to good waves at just a hair lighter than my PU/PE boards around that size.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Curious what made you end up selling it? It seemed like you were happy with the replacement board. Sucks to put in all that time and money and end up selling the board.

These stories of QC issues make me sad. Javi seems like the kind of guy who's shop I'd want to support. Obviously all shapers produce the occasional dud, but it does make me wonder what kind of volume they are putting out that there would be this many QC problems.

If there are any issues with the two I've gotten they have escaped my eye. I agree the carbon stopping in the middle of the tail block seems like a strange design decision. The Gremlin I have is a 5-fin and so the PC runs to the quad box which hopefully would help mitigate the issue. The Shadow is a thruster and has the PC all the way to the end of the tail. It's also basically the perfect weight for decent to good waves at just a hair lighter than my PU/PE boards around that size.
I was looking for a board to take over the waist high and under stuff from my NB2 and it just didn't have the same instantaneous speed that the NB2 did. It's probably how the rocker works with how I generate speed (more off my front foot). I went through numerous FCSII fin sets/configurations: KA large, FT large, AM Aircore large, KA fronts/Reactor medium rears, AM 2+1, MR 2+1 and there was never an "aha" moment. The board worked perfectly well with all the fin sets, but it just didn't have that extra 5-10% extra that got me excited to keep it. I rode it pretty much exclusively for two months and I'm impressed with the durability with only some pretty minor foot dents to speak of. I don't think my having not loved the board had anything to do with XTR. The replacement board was night and day better than the original one with the rail issue, just did not end up being a favorite.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I've had like 8 XTR and no issues. Must be lucky.
Same. Never had an issue with 6-7 XTRs, most stringerless. Last one is SL-C and it's my favorite build so far.
I wouldn't hesitate to order another myself but bummed to hear people have been having issues, and I can see how it's more of a hassle to deal with if you're not local, like Chase.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
I had the leash plug completely rip out on my first surf (never seen that happen before on any construction). I really like the way the boards feel so I chalked it up to bad luck. Next board had different toe angles on the front fins. I never would have caught that except it was a Tomo; so the channel running down the middle gave me a point of reference to notice/measure.

Its a huge bummer. They are really user friendly to order from. I really like how the tech feels (sl-c). They give you access to shapes like Tomos that would be really hard to find otherwise.

I’d be first in line to order more if the quality complaints disappeared from this forum.

BE11222E-F8B2-4904-8879-6979B269833E.jpeg4CC34E6E-ECAC-41B7-9926-5A95ABEB8B20.jpeg

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
All of the complaints so far seem to stem from glassing issues. Or would you guys consider them more of a sanding issue?

Jul 5, 2009
that looks intense! It looks very similar to the quality I'm getting, I was taking out the fins to return the board last night, and it put a hole right through the glass when I barely pulled on it. Right now Shey is saying they can remake my board for $600, which I don't think I will be pulling the trigger on... it just doesn't justify the cost, and I'd rather go local or lost direct.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Here is mine. It was a very strange looking break. It happened underwater in the whitewash so i dont know what happened. All i know is some idiot who was paddling back out in the take off zone checked his board, so it must have hit his somehow.

Jul 5, 2009
here's a pic of the nose, i wasn't too fussed about it, because it was more cosmetic but it was glassed super light on the tip too, I had to get a repair on it three sessions in, but it was my fault duck diving in shallow water.

Attachments

Jul 5, 2009
Here is mine. It was a very strange looking break. It happened underwater in the whitewash so i dont know what happened. All i know is some idiot who was paddling back out in the take off zone checked his board, so it must have hit his somehow.

How old is your board? maybe its a batch issue?