XTR

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Lightbender vs. Twinsman: whats the different type of waves they're intended for? Matt recommended the Lightbender for east coast beach break, but didnt contrast the Twinsman
From what I gather, the Twinsman is for better waves, and absolutely not a groveler.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Bummers. +1 on rubbing some wax on the side of the fin help stubborn boxes a lot.

ive done the same. at least this is XTR so mostly cosmetic.

thanks for the measuring tape shots. :cheers:

Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Bummers. +1 on rubbing some wax on the side of the fin help stubborn boxes a lot.

ive done the same. at least this is XTR so mostly cosmetic.

thanks for the measuring tape shots. :cheers:
I read that Vaseline helps. Its water soluble.

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
so is 8.5" the goldilocks fin placement on your 3rd El Tomo twin? Or back to the drawing board for #4? LOL
I admire your persistence with this design. If all else fails, at least we know it works well as a quad
This is actually #4. :monkey:

1st was JKB's (fin placement was off), 2nd was a custom i ordered (felt too short - it was a 5'4), 3rd was Dan's personal (fin placement was off) and now comes tha 4th.

1st was HD blue stringer. 2nd was wooden stringer. 3nd was LFT. 4th is parallel carbon.

So far this 4th one feels the best. But the fins I had on the 3rd feel different on this one. I think i need a wider fin with this one because the boxes are up further. I felt a little release on a couple bottom turns yesterday when i rode it. I dont know if its the break in the wing/flyer or if its the fins. :unsure: Gonna have to ride it some more and work it out.

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I think i need a wider fin with this one because the boxes are up further. I felt a little release on a couple bottom turns yesterday when i rode it. I dont know if its the break in the wing/flyer or if its the fins. :unsure: Gonna have to ride it some more and work it out.
Hope it works out for you. I really haven't loved that double diamond tail on a couple different boards (none are twins). Maybe it's all in my head, but I swear sometimes on turns it can feel like it skips for a beat until it hits the next sharp point of the tail. That doesn't happen with a smoother line like on a traditional swallow- which is what I ride most. This might be the release you described.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019
hello all - been reading through most of the pages here and figured i would ask some questions since this seems to be the most appropriate forum. most PU and eps boards i have ridden seem to dent in sooner rather than later as i am roughly 5'10.5'' and 205 ish lbs. i dont think i am heavy footed...maybe just heavy?! anyhow the only boards that seem to not dent in are firewires in lft or helium construction - carbon wrap by lost or spine-tek by CI - basically those sand which constructions.

i am currently contemplating on getting a custom pyzel phantom xl made - but i am having a tough time on which construction i want. if i go through pyzel i would obviously get an EPS made by them --however i have never owned an XTR constructed board before but the tech seems a good go between PU and EPS. light and strong. the 2 boards i in my quiver now are my FW seaside and Glazer - both being 5'8''@ 35.1 /35.4 liters. i have owned a couple different boards but these just work for me. they float me well i also think the helium and lft construction help with the buoyancy and the decks are strong - literally zero pressures on them.

i am having a hard time determining if i go down in liters or up in liters with XTR. is XTR just as boyant as the helium or lft constructions? if i want to stay at around the 35 liter mark - should i just get 35 liters in xtr or add / minus?

being a 200lbs would give me two options -
the SL - CK carbon which reminds me of the carbon wrap spine on lost boards
or the parallel carbon - which is unique to xtr.

i am having a rough time determine which of these to use and would love to hear thoughts on both? is one more stiff that the other? i really like the flex characteristics of the firewires i am using and would like to mimic that.

also when it comes to the glassing - being 200lbs - i would think that the team 8c would dent in? or am i wrong? or should i just go with the standard 8.c?? i really dont want to dent in my board - but also dont want some super stiff thing..

i am sure these could all be answered by javier down at XTR but figured i would ask here first and then use this info when i give them a ring here in the next couple of days if i decide to go the XTR route.

thanks for reading

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
For your first XTR I'd say go with a wood stringer/8.c. It feels great and its a safe bet. Its lighter than PU but not crazy light and the durability is good. I'm 180lbs and barely leave much of anything on the decks. Just some very light heel marks. Nothing like the craters I leave in my PU's. I'd run the same volume you like in your FW on the XTR.