Why are Alex Honnold and Tommy Caldwell so much smarter than Kelly Slater and Shane Dorian?

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Yeah but el cap/climbing became his, like, raison d’etre.
If he makes a mistake at least he doesn't have to worry about plan B like the CT guys do.
Yeah, just saying, I don’t think he’s a dope or berkeley engineering wouldn’t’ve been an option

Reactions: Pico

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I think Alex honnald is the personification of staying calm under pressure

he knows he can do the crazy sh!t he does because he’s done it before, but with stuff to save hime
doing it again without aid isn’t any more difficult, its just that the risk is higher
to me, that attitude is cool

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
i lived next to a rock climbing gym in Bend for a couple years and got super into climbing and training in the gym and then bouldering outside around that area. it came fairly naturally to me being tall and light and still young. i worked hard at it, becoming fairly obsessed and single minded as I tend to do. i liked how it combined almost nerdy feeling problem solving with a high level of physical difficulty. there is a certain amount of suffering involved but the post climb high was great. also the gym was a great place to meet women. i was just getting to the point where i felt ready to do some real climbs and had a couple experienced climbers who were going to take me to do some routes at smith rock but then one of them had an accident and got all messed up. i still wanted to do some climbs but never got the chance. i did some top roping stuff but it didn't feel like the real thing knowing that the consequences were low and i enjoyed bouldering more. i ended up moving back to the coast and got back into surfing. probably for the best.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
i lived next to a rock climbing gym in Bend for a couple years and got super into climbing and training in the gym and then bouldering outside around that area. it came fairly naturally to me being tall and light and still young. i worked hard at it, becoming fairly obsessed and single minded as I tend to do. i liked how it combined almost nerdy feeling problem solving with a high level of physical difficulty. there is a certain amount of suffering involved but the post climb high was great. also the gym was a great place to meet women. i was just getting to the point where i felt ready to do some real climbs and had a couple experienced climbers who were going to take me to do some routes at smith rock but then one of them had an accident and got all messed up. i still wanted to do some climbs but never got the chance. i did some top roping stuff but it didn't feel like the real thing knowing that the consequences were low and i enjoyed bouldering more. i ended up moving back to the coast and got back into surfing. probably for the best.
Is it too late?
I was doing the climbing gym until Covid, butwas taking a break to let my elbow tendonitis
the spring before that, I paid a guide for a day of multi pitch trad climbing and, yeah, post climb high is real

now I’m kinda over the climbing gym
it was fun and challenging, but seems silly
So I havent climbed in years, but still want to get out again.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Is it too late?
I was doing the climbing gym until Covid, butwas taking a break to let my elbow tendonitis
the spring before that, I paid a guide for a day of multi pitch trad climbing and, yeah, post climb high is real

now I’m kinda over the climbing gym
it was fun and challenging, but seems silly
So I havent climbed in years, but still want to get out again.
no, it's not too late. there is nowhere nearby to do it here and surfing has taken over for me though. i'm not fat or anything but i've bulked up a lot since my early 20's and whenever i mess around with bouldering i feel so heavy and lame. i don't feel like i need to be great at everything I do but there is something about wanting to be good and improve at things that i enjoy. it doesn't seem like i will ever be good at climbing again unless i move somewhere else so i just kind of let it go. i can only keep up with so many hobbies i guess.

my current GF was really into climbing before we got together. i told her about this thread and she said climbers are just as stupid as surfers.

i was like, thanks? :shrug:

Oct 16, 2002
Bali, Indonesia
my current GF was really into climbing before we got together. i told her about this thread and she said climbers are just as stupid as surfers.

Not gonna argue that at all. I am sure there are legions of meathead dirtbags parked in camper vans across the world. And there are clearly very thoughtful and articulate surfers like Dr. Cliff Kapono, Ricky Grigg, and William Finnegan. It's just when I hear Honnold and Caldwell talk, they seem infinitely more enlightened than equivelant surf world figureheads like Slater and Dorian, who come across as righteous in their ill informed opinions, entitled in their righteousness, and closed minded when presented with the dynamic shapeshifting of American cultural life.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
I lived in Yosemite when I was 17. Lost soul. Did a little bouldering. Started up the GP Apron. Realized I would soon die if I kept it up. I went back to DP at the end of Summer and moved to HI

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
"Bali Idgit and the Surf World Figure Heads" is the name of my new string quartet with 3 cellos and 2 violas, what only play Dead Kennedy cover songs. They dress as vanlifer deadbeats with Black Sunglasses and hula skirts. Obligatory Lei necklaces, of course.

:roflmao::roflmao::nana::monkey::nana::roflmao::roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: Pyhtagorous

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
my friend has two business degrees from temple university. she used to write countless essays and reports and many were often 40 pages or more. now, in real life, she sent a reply to a person running a huge company. she had been told something. she replied with a few sentences. he fired back, pissed off, "say copy! that's all i want to know. copy means you understand!!!" schools just tell people who want to hire you that you're a good test taker. the real world is way different. so glad i don't live in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: parkiteric

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
don’t get me started on that. I often take the 5 minutes or so to write a thorough and detailed email, get a snarky remark about the length of the email (1-2 paragraphs, real war and peace style emails) but then as soon as I write a one or two word reply, i get a half dozen follow up emails because people are mostly unintelligent, wasting far more of everyone’s time than if they would just read my original emails which usually contain any and all information needed that would preclude the need for time sucking and unending follow ups.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
don’t get me started on that. I often take the 5 minutes or so to write a thorough and detailed email, get a snarky remark about the length of the email (1-2 paragraphs, real war and peace style emails) but then as soon as I write a one or two word reply, i get a half dozen follow up emails because people are mostly unintelligent, wasting far more of everyone’s time than if they would just read my original emails which usually contain any and all information needed that would preclude the need for time sucking and unending follow ups.
do you not use paragraphs in your emails either?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
schools just tell people who want to hire you that you're a good test taker. the real world is way different. so glad i don't live in it.
I disagree with this.

You have broad range of personality types.

A few years ago I'm getting ready to start class and the teacher before me would always run late. (This is really bad form, btw,)

So when my class started I would send my students in the classroom while she put her stuff away to hurry her along.

I go in and just start chatting her up.

I say, "What are you teaching?"

She says "Business writing."

I say "I used to teach business writing but I stopped because the business students were too combative."

She looks out to my students and says "How many of you are business majors?"

About 5 of them raise their hands.

I say "Yeah, Assholes. All of them!"