Why are Alex Honnold and Tommy Caldwell so much smarter than Kelly Slater and Shane Dorian?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Surfing is more about competing with a pack for a limited resource.

Rock climbers aren't really compete with other rock climbers for that rock.

Lots of rocks to go around.

In conclusion, the surfer is too worried about dominating the pack.

The mountain climber just wants to climb the mountain and not get killed.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Intelligence is highly over-rated in modern western society.

Who wants smarts, when ignorance is bliss?

Rather be a happy idiot, than a suffering intellectual any day of the semana baby.

:foreheadslap::jamon::beer::shrug::D:p

I spent twice the time I attended college unlearning the stupid theoretical BS they taught us all there as soon as I hit the professional world.

Books are for dummies, what like to be told what to think.

:poke::poke::poke:
This explains a great deal

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Save for the books part, I think he's right. That's why I used to drink so much.
Books are normally written by people, people who tend to want to get a point across, this normally conditions the writer towards the subject and thus prohibits anything but an opinion, being what gets published, which may be shared or not.

I've read so much it hurt me, paid for it in lost eye sight. I once remember, as a teen, visiting the library of congress and thinking to myself I wanted to read every single book in there. My high school teacher laughed when he heard me say it to another kid.

Don't knock it until you try it, goes the saying.

I read voraciously since I was 10 years old until I had eye surgery to correct my vision and the laser surgeon asked me how many hours a day I spent looking at text. He was not only surprised, he mentioned it was what caused my eyesight to become damaged. Mentioned taking breaks from reading and looking far away to rest my eyes. It was his offhand comment as I left that caused my decision....

"You know 9'4, everything in those books you spend so much time reading, are experiences you could be living yourself... if you weren't busy reading so often!".

I laughed about it there, but on the flight home, being the analytical dick that I am, crunched numbers and realized I was spending more than half my life in front of stories someone else lived. It was high time to get high and start living some of my own. I could write a few books by now, and hope to have material for many more before my time to go comes.

Finally: there's absolutely nothing wrong with reading, analytically, just don't become addicted to the activity, like I did, and ruin your eyes.

:waving::shaka:

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
"You know 9'4, everything in those books you spend so much time reading, are experiences you could be living yourself... if you weren't busy reading so often!".

I laughed about it there, but on the flight home, being the analytical dick that I am, crunched numbers and realized I was spending more than half my life in front of stories someone else lived. It was high time to get high and start living some of my own. I could write a few books by now, and hope to have material for many more before my time to go comes.
:waving::shaka:
Indeed, these bums can wank to Shakespeare all day long and I'll still be shaking my head

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Hey, well, I become addicted to everything I enjoy. And it's hard to live "absolutely small" or "the long dark tea time of the soul". You had a weird surgeon, telling you to read less. What do I know, though....I can't ever make it to a doctor because that's too much for me. I can kinda make the appointment, but I'm not going to remember it or actually go.

Edit: wasn't this thread about the dumbass who climbs big rocks without ropes being more woke than Slater and Dorian? I'm being a distraction in here...

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Twas about if they are smarter than the surfers, due to all their fancy book learning.

Me say, apples vs. oranges, butt what ever.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Why do girls who climb rocks not shave their arm pits is the real fvckin' question
Muffs too, can confirm. :barf:

Lately though, I see short hairs popping out of ladies wetsuits ever more often... the muff must be making a come back.

Maybe they realized all that protective covering was put there by design, for a reason?

:shrug::barf::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::shameonyou:

Reactions: stringcheese

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I'm not opposed to a little triangle of pubic hair, and I could be talked into a bit more au naturel than that, but if her muff is showing with a wetsuit on...I mean what kind of wetsuit... that's just....well, no.

• Love
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Oh and hey Ash, hope you're having fun. If you still have the time for troll posts you should share some art once in a while, this place could use the color.

• Haha
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Surfing is a hobby for losers that make them suck even more in the real world. Golf is the opposite. It's a sport/hobby for rich people that enables them to get even richer, more successful and more connected to other rich and successful people. Rock climbing is somewhere in the middle.

Even skateboarding is better than surfing at getting you somewhere in life. Surfing is probably the most life destructive hobby there is. Save for wingsuiting and speedgliding.