Why are Alex Honnold and Tommy Caldwell so much smarter than Kelly Slater and Shane Dorian?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Primates are better rock climbers. Dolphins are better surfers. Who’s smart now?

Mick Fanning?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Who is the smartest top surfer?

Are there any?

I can't think of none.

Some people don't like book learning.

Maybe when you are in your van by the mountain, there is no wifi so you have to read books?
Ricky Grigg was a phd marine biologist. If I remember correctly his dissertation was on deep water corals.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Im happy to have Kelly and Shane as ambassadors to our sport as I see them as fairly articulate guys. Both of them would probably be successful at any pursuit they chose. How'd you like Wardo and Fletcher as our figureheads? I have only seen a 60 minutes segment on Honnold and he seemed like a humble and articulate dude. Genius? Leaps ahead of Kelly? I didnt notice that. Will investigate further.
Actually.… id prefer wardo n fletcher all-day-long; last thing needed is fuggin “ambassadors” GTFO - poor role models, dregs of society - thats What’s needed. I want people to turn their noses up at surfing n run in the other direction.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Slater seems a little nutty to me.

Social media made him crazy.

Probably lots of easy to access young pussy too.
But he speaks well and sounds intelligent if you don’t listen to what he says
kelly, if you’re lurking, I mean that as a compliment

Reactions: Tarab_ish

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Who is the smartest top surfer?

Are there any?

I can't think of none.

Some people don't like book learning.

Maybe when you are in your van by the mountain, there is no wifi so you have to read books?
I know a few mid range Ex pros. Smarter than your avg bears. Youd recognize their names. Great personalities . Built good careers AROUND surfings. The Industry. To be a top surfer however... it probably takes next level aggression and dedication. Smarts not so much.
Honold smart? Oh thats delightful.

Last edited:
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
How'd you like Wardo and Fletcher as our figureheads?
Much preferred it.

Wardo is a turd but a nice deterrent.

CF is an original...still loves surfing and was way ahead of the game and not just when it came to airs. Not a rolemodel but when viewed as a whole the guy has an enthusiasm for life that I respect. That makes some people uncomfortable.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I know a few mid range Ex pros. Smarter than your avg bears. Youd recognize their names. Great personalities . Built good careers AROUND surfings. The Industry. To be a top surfer however... it probably takes next level aggression and dedication. Smarts not so much.
Honold smart? Oh thats delightful.
Wasn’t honnald going to Berkeley before doing the full time rock climbing thing