Where the South's At?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
1691366101342.png

Al Soldano's gladness misappropriated.

1/3.

I forgot that even if it's just tradewind swell, Hawaii is still better than California a lot of the time. :roflmao: Definitely had fun waves. Stocked.

Possibly south getting in up here too next weekend? Would be nice... although man, I miss that 78 degree water already.

pastel

OTF status
Nov 23, 2022
get on that longboard and stay in shape, because who knows, the fall could go ballistic this year

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Just found this thread. I stopped surfing for the past year for family reasons. I started back up a month ago and I thought to myself that I remember the waves being better during the summer when I lived in San Diego 6 years ago. Looks like I wasn't off in my assessment.

Hopefully we get something soon. I've been trying to stay motivated but driving 30 minutes to grovel some knee high waves is getting harder.

Reactions: PRCD and Boneroni

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Just found this thread. I stopped surfing for the past year for family reasons. I started back up a month ago and I thought to myself that I remember the waves being better during the summer when I lived in San Diego 6 years ago. Looks like I wasn't off in my assessment.

Hopefully we get something soon. I've been trying to stay motivated but driving 30 minutes to grovel some knee high waves is getting harder.
In the South Bay it's about an hour drive either south or north to get out of the Catalina/Palos Verdes swell shadow. I have not seen good enough waves in wither direction to warrant the time and fuel expenditure.

I no longer call myself a surfer.

Reactions: PRCD

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Not that I've had any chance at surfing the past month, but where tf are the south swells this summer? So far, I think we've had one real swell arrive and it was pretty small.

They also claiming El Nino through 2024. My Hawaiian buddy in Laguna says the water still cold down there, colder than usual for July.

This is the point in the 22-24 year solar flair cycle when we get El Ninos. The problem is that solar cycles 24 and 25 have been so weak that Pacific Ocean circulation has been weak. La Nina is caused by robust Pacific circulation, and La Nina has been extremely muted. The muted North Pacific (PDO) circulation has failed to initiate the usual monsoon fronts across the southwestern U.S.

Expect El Nino to be muted as well.

Last edited:

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
terrible winds fuucking up any chance of decent swell making decent waves lately