Where the South's At?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
He said El Nino might be digging into the West Pacific, based on MJO readings. He thinks 1.5 weeks out, some real storms starting to form in south pac.

Reactions: Aruka

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Was down in SoCal July 2022 - flat, skunked.

Down in SoCal July 2023 - flattish, skunked.

Leaving for Oahu on Thursday for a week - looking pretty grim also. Well, at least will be in Hawaii. Be fun to do some snorkeling at least.

But damn, surf wise, looking like 0/3... :cautious:

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

Al Soldano

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 18, 2002
Pleasantville
Leaving for Oahu on Thursday for a week - looking pretty grim also. Well, at least will be in Hawaii. Be fun to do some snorkeling at least.
I'm glad you were down in SoCal July 2022 and it was flat and you got skunked.
I'm also glad you were down in SoCal July 2023 and it was flat and you got skunked.
I'm also glad you're leaving for Oahu on Thursday for a week and that it is looking grim.
Finally, I'm glad, surf wise, looking like 0/3.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
This is the moment of my annual "this is the worst summer ever" post. I mean I seem to do this every year...but this year is especially bad, isn't it?
I usually get better surf in the summer than in winter. Not this year. Bust.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Here’s how the local forecaster has (accurately) described our season-

Okay my half full glass has sprung a serious leak and any and all optimism is draining out at an alarming rate. Worst June/July ever for Southern California? I personally surf the South Bay beach breaks more than often than not and I don’t think I can handle one more anemic, toothless swell, tiptoeing across the outside sand bars, hitting a deep hole and crashing on the shore. When did minus tide become the must surf window? I don’t mind surfing small waves, especially when the water is warm and the sun is out, but geez owww… it has been pretty much been unrideable, day in, and day out, for close to 2 months. First world problems I know, but definitely impacting my mental well being and the general consensus
seems to be the same with any surfer I talk to.
My Neighbor Tim, asked me the other day, in desperation… “Where can I go to get some surfable waves?” my reply, “LAX!” At this point, until we have any real swell in the water, your best bet is to get the “F” out of Dodge. Mainland Mex,
Central America, anywhere but here.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Here’s how the local forecaster has (accurately) described our season-

Okay my half full glass has sprung a serious leak and any and all optimism is draining out at an alarming rate. Worst June/July ever for Southern California? I personally surf the South Bay beach breaks more than often than not and I don’t think I can handle one more anemic, toothless swell, tiptoeing across the outside sand bars, hitting a deep hole and crashing on the shore. When did minus tide become the must surf window? I don’t mind surfing small waves, especially when the water is warm and the sun is out, but geez owww… it has been pretty much been unrideable, day in, and day out, for close to 2 months. First world problems I know, but definitely impacting my mental well being and the general consensus
seems to be the same with any surfer I talk to.
My Neighbor Tim, asked me the other day, in desperation… “Where can I go to get some surfable waves?” my reply, “LAX!” At this point, until we have any real swell in the water, your best bet is to get the “F” out of Dodge. Mainland Mex,
Central America, anywhere but here.
East Coast mods, please move this to the LA Isn't So Bad thread.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
This hasn't been a bad summer at all by Jax Beach standards, but it hasn't really had anything with enough grunt to really call good since early June. Today I probably got myself the best logsurf conditions since I bought the thing in February.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006

When I was a kid growing up, July seemed to be always flat. Then we would be graced by these mythical "August swells", which actually showed up a few times.