Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
elk loin and butternut squash vindaloo
garlic nan
wolf blass shiraz

i'm slipping into a food coma.
I don’t think this meal got the proper accolades. very creative but not overly pretentious either. Elk is the exotic, though presumably North American (and delicious). The other items, while exotic to Americans, are staples and/or comfort foods in their native lands. Simple, yummy fun to eat,…even the use of the butternut squash is an homage to plain hearty North American country cooking, even as it is being cooked in a very much traditional Indian manner

yes, I looked at the first couple pages of this thread for no reason. It started a long time ago and I was curious. Butthole surfer was a gem and I hope he is well

now I want elk and fluffy warm nan bread slathered in garlic butter. Where the hell am I supposed to find THAT in LB at 10 pm

or perhaps Chili..far more accessible. The whole thread started with a chili recipe

believe it or not, Beach Burger on the boardwalk here makes a kick ass chili and they just opened for the season. Lunch tomorrow

Reactions: $kully and keenfish

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Were I still a drinker, that would have been perhaps my one demerit. Elk should really be with a fellow North American, perhaps a Willamette Pinot, something amicable and uncomplicated, that won’t distract from the somewhat rare treat of a well prepared piece of elk.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Actually I’ve never tried elk, or an Aussie Shiraz for that matter. Taking it seriously though, wouldn’t the elk be overpowered by the curry and in that way its flavor somewhat wasted?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Actually I’ve never tried elk, or an Aussie Shiraz for that matter. Taking it seriously though, wouldn’t the elk be overpowered by the curry and in that way its flavor somewhat wasted?
Possibly, but I was envisioning the elk cooked and plated separately, not IN the vindaloo. I figured the Vindaloo was ONLY made using the squash, as a side dish

elk should not be compromised by too much of anything. i Agree that throwing elk meat INTO a vindaloo would be a waste of expensive elk meat.

if you are doing a meat in a vindaloo, use chicken or lamb, because the meat just becomes a protein based vehicle for the strong flavors of a vindaloo

Reactions: grapedrink

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Possibly, but I was envisioning the elk cooked and plated separately, not IN the vindaloo. I figured the Vindaloo was ONLY made using the squash, as a side dish

elk should not be compromised by too much of anything. i Agree that throwing elk meat INTO a vindaloo would be a waste of expensive elk meat.

if you are doing a meat in a vindaloo, use chicken or lamb, because the meat just becomes a protein based vehicle for the strong flavors of a vindaloo
Even separately, if the elk is the star of the show you don’t go upstaging it with a side dish, particularly if the star’s flavor profile is on the delicate side.

Now I want Indian food and I think Covid may have taken out all good neighborhood spots.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Scampi is actually fast an easy, unless you’re shelling the shrimp yourself, then it’s a pain. I think the trick to sautéing Brussel sprouts is getting a nice caramelization and then adding water at some point to lightly steam them.

Reactions: Subway

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
The meal sounds pretty tasty to me but with Ozzie shiraz, no. Not sure about that specific label but in general they tend to be monstrous and extracted wines that overpower your pallet and thus the food. Unfortunately that’s the type of wine that’s been in vogue for the last 1-2 decades so that’s what we get :toilet:

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
The meal sounds pretty tasty to me but with Ozzie shiraz, no. Not sure about that specific label but in general they tend to be monstrous and extracted wines that overpower your pallet and thus the food. Unfortunately that’s the type of wine that’s been in vogue for the last 1-2 decades so that’s what we get :toilet:
I don't always drink wine with dinner but when I do it's a box of Franzia White Zinfandel. Cheers!

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
We just made a second round of corned beef capitalizing on the post-st paddy’s day sale at the grocery store. I bought four of them for 60% off last week. Froze three in the garage and gf just made one. I decided to improvise a bit and make a sandwich with mine. Didn’t have rye, swiss or Russian dressing on hand so I did it on a toasted brioche bun (not my favorite) with melted Muenster, cabbage, thick sliced corned beef & spicy deli mustard