what'z on the menu?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Camarones con cebolla verdad? O tiene una nombre mas interesante? Aparece muy declicioso

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Surf was crap today and kinda drizzly so great day to go mushroom hunting in a spot we had previously reconned.

Didn't really expect to find much but found a bunch of chanterelles and two sizable boletes:

1665886243086.jpeg

Thought the ones at top right were something else, ends up they are russulas and probably not good eating. Bottom right thought might be right but nope, something not too sure of actually.

But the boletes:

1665886403014.jpeg

ah yeah, on the menu in T-minus... :jamon:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Surf was crap today and kinda drizzly so great day to go mushroom hunting in a spot we had previously reconned.

Didn't really expect to find much but found a bunch of chanterelles and two sizable boletes:

View attachment 140019

Thought the ones at top right were something else, ends up they are russulas and probably not good eating. Bottom right thought might be right but nope, something not too sure of actually.

But the boletes:

View attachment 140020

Nice kings. We just roasted our first batch last week. Thinly sliced, tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread out on sheet pan or better yet elevated on stainless screen. Baked at 450F or grilled/traegered until browned and slightly crispy at edges. Can also do the chanterelles this way although I usually use them in other dishes like mushroom cream sauce or gravy.

The russula aren't good to eat but they are actually one of the types of mushroom that can become Lobster mushrooms once they are taken over by another species of fungus. Not a huge fan of lobsters myself but i think they need to be cooked a certain way. My friend says you need to grate them up and squeeze the moisture out or something. They didnt agree with me the first time I ate them so i havent tried again.

Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Nice kings. We just roasted our first batch last week. Thinly sliced, tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread out on sheet pan or better yet elevated on stainless screen. Baked at 450F or grilled/traegered until browned and slightly crispy at edges. Can also do the chanterelles this way although I usually use them in other dishes like mushroom cream sauce or gravy.

The russula aren't good to eat but they are actually one of the types of mushroom that can become Lobster mushrooms once they are taken over by another species of fungus. Not a huge fan of lobsters myself but i think they need to be cooked a certain way. My friend says you need to grate them up and squeeze the moisture out or something. They didnt agree with me the first time I ate them so i havent tried again.
Thanks. Kings and chanterelles were super good. Did pretty much same thing but cooked them on stovetop.

Cooked up a corner of the russula and tried that, tasted like fleshy cardboard and couple hours or so later, that mushroom was not sitting well in my stomach, didn't screw around and pulled the ejection cord on it. Over russulas. Too many other good mushrooms out there to waste time with those.

Reactions: Aruka

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I made chicken noodle soup.
I hate cooking chicken breasts and almost exclusively cook thighs, but I had some. I browned them, then chucked them back in the soup too early, trying to deepen the flavor of the broth. They got pretty chewy and lifeless. I also forgot to add potatoes ( we have a ton) and I was out of lemon. Other than that, it was good and still did the trick.

Reactions: LBKpilot

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Decided in fall that this winter would be a study in risotto, it's been fun and delicious. Bacon, scallions, mushrooms, onion, Robiola, Stilton, have been staples, but last night did a mash-up and used some Kalua pig I cooked for 18 hours along with some ponzu, arugula, Robiola. It was fantastic.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
We make risotto in our pressure cooker. 7 minutes once you lock it down.

I think I take longer browning the rice, garlic and onions in olive oil, not to mention chopping up the other stuff.

Mmmmm, risotto made with homemade turkey stock with mushrooms and julienned green beans and red pepper and various hard hard cheese.....

Reactions: Aruka

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Deb spent quit a bit of time standing at the stove and stirring the rice and dropping in different ingredients. Pour the stock in, stir and stir. Add a little more, stir and stir. T’was truly fun to watch her and the results were truly worth her efforts. :shaka:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Lately I've been dinner meal prepping for the week on Sat or Sun. Season a few chicken breasts with salt/pepper, vacuum seal in separate bags with lots of tarragon or oregano leaves + olive oil and zero cleaning sous vide 149º for 1 hr. Same w fish. Also making soup the same way (stock, raw carrots/celery a little quinoa etc - peppers/garlic/leeks/spicy chilis get sauteed before going in cuz they do weird/bad things raw), and cook it in the bag at 200º for 1h, then chop/shred chicken or fish into the bowl. I usually sear or grill finish the chicken or fish but after the Sat or Sun prep I mostly have no pots or pans to clean. Need to get another instant pot for homemade stock. Leftovers get thrown into tacos or salads for lunch.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005

View attachment 140019

But the boletes:

View attachment 140020

Just saw this.
Ummmm..... NOPE
I love mushrooms, but will leave gathering to the experts like the guys I go to Alaska with every year.
We gather Chantrelles and Hedghogs.
I, on the other hand, am no expert.
Last year wife and I were hiking with the dog behind Michael Jackson's old Neverland Ranch (big oak forest) and found a ton of Chantrells.
Took 'em home and sauteed for dinner, wife wouldn't touch.
They were wonderful.
Woke up at 2AM and puked my guts up. :foreheadslap:

• Wow
Reactions: afoaf