What is the value of 10% of Kelia Moniz's prior contract?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Ok, I grew up on a small Island off the QLD coast- I don't think a pair of shoes went anywhere near my feet until the the age of 14 or 15. No shoes required at school.

Even now, I haven't worn shoes for close to 2 years (apart from a funeral last week).

A funeral or wedding is the only thing that will get me into shoes.

I'll brush cut in crocs- if that counts.
ok, fair enough. i think same rules apply to our island folks. part of my irk with flip flops and jeans is why not just go barefoot with the jeans.

for the record, I go barefoot nearly all weekend including doing yard work.

we have some of the barefoot only sort as well, but the barefoot have been mostly relegated to van life safe zones these days. To escape this, many able folk purchased finger toe shoes to demonstrate their connection with Mother Nature while maintaining separation from van lifers.

1704753161761.png

remember, our culture code first, then comfort.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Really nice topwater bite on blues and jacks this morning- barefoot on the rocks.
Trebles + teeth + rocks.

I go barefoot in the surf. Gotten lit up by crabs too. One or two pants-shitting moments with stingrays and a trio of sharks that was waaaaay too unbothered by my presence waaaaay out on a sandspit off Matanzas.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Ok, I grew up on a small Island off the QLD coast- I don't think a pair of shoes went anywhere near my feet until the the age of 14 or 15. No shoes required at school.

Even now, I haven't worn shoes for close to 2 years (apart from a funeral last week).

A funeral or wedding is the only thing that will get me into shoes.

I'll brush cut in crocs- if that counts.
6 years for me (son’s wedding). Ditto on long pants. If I need boots and pants to go somewhere (the bush) I ain’t going because fvck dat. The pond is one of the few fresh water sources close to good cover so lots of stuff I don’t want to know personally lives out there. Otherwise there’s no place I need to go that’s formal enough to require more than a shirt with buttons and a collar.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
imo, everyone in coastal Southern California has the Peter Pan syndrome wearing teenage brands of their preferred era.

its just in the culture down here. Seeing print T’s out to dinner at a reasonably nice spot is very common.

my friends visiting from SF ask about this every time. flip flops with jeans used to boil my blood when I first got here a lifetime ago.
Yup. In Santa Cruz and SLO county beach towns it’s the surf brand zip hoodie, corduroy shorts, flat billed trucker hat, black vans, and white calf socks. They look like teenagers/20 something’s from behind while they’re standing at cliff, then they turn around and they’re 2-3x years older :roflmao:

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I don't think a pair of shoes went anywhere near my feet until the the age of 14 or 15. No shoes required at school.
Me too. Couldn't go barefoot in High School.

I forgot my flip flops at Rincon one cold morning a few years ago. I only used them for the trail because it was so cold. Didn't get another pair for over a year. There was only one small convenience store that kicked me out for being barefoot. The lady said they wouldn't allow it because of glass. I said they shouldn't leave glass on the floor.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I know of another long time pro who was dropped by his sponsors in 2024 too!

I think it's a huge mistake by both major sponsors as this particular pro surfer has already branded himself as a cold water free surfer that surfs big waves and small waves extremely well!

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13

I think it's a huge mistake by both major sponsors as this particular pro surfer has already branded himself as a cold water free surfer that surfs big waves and small waves extremely well!
Zeke?

Oh wait. Timmy? Had to think of tomo/FW

• Haha
Reactions: oeste858

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019

huuuge mistake :foreheadslap:

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Can't remember the last time i ran out and bought an O'neill hooded flannel cuz I saw Timmy wearing one at Año Nuevo
I can't remember the last time I bought an O'Neill hooded flannel at all :LOL:

O'Neill has gone soft. No style anymore. I don't see the value that Kolohe brings to the table for $300k a year either. I'd rather see Timmy shred some cold water slabs that see Kolohe do an air revo at Lowers.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Kolohe won't last long as a Q-ey warrior.

He's cooked.
He's lost the zeal. Lost the mongrel. I haven't seen him get worked up in a heat in a long time. Seems like he just moves through the paces now.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I don't see anything wrong with her post other than the overly dramatic beginning. My wife asked if she was dying.

She doesn't realize she is *the prime example* of why companies are making the decisions they're making in regards to team riders (at least, in some cases) - there's no ROI.

Aside from all the silly dramatic effect, I was pretty much unaware Kelia even surfs anymore. She's hot, so every once in a while I'd peek at her Instagram which sadly seemed to turn into of photos of here emulating "urban" fashion and (rightfully) focusing on motherhood.

There wasn't much surfing going on and I got the impression she was either living in Hollywood or NYC and very focused on trying to look bling/urban.

Roxy was bought out and they're restructuring. The era of a bunch of pro surfers getting paid big bucks to represent apparel is over and has been over for a long time. Maybe she's so far away from it she didn't get the memo.

I could understand frustration for someone who was actively surfing and associating their surfing with showcasing the brand.

But from Kelia's instagram presence looks more like she had a contract that would allow her to get paychecks while neglecting what she was supposed to do - associate her surfing with the brand.

There are more than enough hot beach girls out there that can do everything Kelia is doing, probably for plenty less $. TBH she should feel lucky to even be offered a contract at all.
The rest of the thread: TL/DR. Well.. I only read the first page. But the above is a very silly statement. Kelia never mattered to you, and that's ok. Decentralize yourself, it's fun. Additionally, apologies if it's already been pointed out, but Kelia has more IG followers than just about everyone on tour besides Gabriel, Italo, Felipe, JJF, Kelly, and Steph. What's that? Top 10% if she was a CT surfer? Probably top 10% or better "industry wide". I'm going to guess she has a larger following than ANY longboarder.

Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 12.21.49 PM.png

Reactions: ReForest and teeroi

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I don't see anything wrong with her post other than the overly dramatic beginning. My wife asked if she was dying.

The rest of the thread: TL/DR. Well.. I only read the first page. But the above is a very silly statement. Kelia never mattered to you, and that's ok. Decentralize yourself, it's fun. Additionally, apologies if it's already been pointed out, but Kelia has more IG followers than just about everyone on tour besides Gabriel, Italo, Felipe, JJF, Kelly, and Steph. What's that? Top 10% if she was a CT surfer? Probably top 10% or better "industry wide". I'm going to guess she has a larger following than ANY longboarder.

View attachment 170180
IG followers are great but not if she’s not pimping her surf sponsor’s gear. These equity firms may not be surf companies but they aren’t stupid either. If it made sense to keep her they’d have kept her.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
IG followers are great but not if she’s not pimping her surf sponsor’s gear. These equity firms may not be surf companies but they aren’t stupid either. If it made sense to keep her they’d have kept her.

They aren't really "surf companies" anymore.
You could argue that they haven't been for a while.
But that kind of credibility or "salt", or whatever you want to call it of being a surf company that aligned themselves with meaningful surfers mattered for a while, even after they initially sold out.
The "legacy" of the legacy brands were wrapped up in the long term partnerships with credible surfers.
It doesn't matter to the equity firms that run the companies now.
Is that a bad business decision? Not necessarily. Most people that buy QuikBongCurl anymore probably don't care.
But does it erode any credibility they have left as a brand that "gets it"? Yeah.