What is the value of 10% of Kelia Moniz's prior contract?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
They aren't really "surf companies" anymore.
You could argue that they haven't been for a while.
But that kind of credibility or "salt", or whatever you want to call it of being a surf company that aligned themselves with meaningful surfers mattered for a while, even after they initially sold out.
The "legacy" of the legacy brands were wrapped up in the long term partnerships with credible surfers.
It doesn't matter to the equity firms that run the companies now.
Is that a bad business decision? Not necessarily. Most people that buy QuikBongCurl anymore probably don't care.
But does it erode any credibility they have left as a brand that "gets it"? Yeah.
All true. I’dd only suggest that keeping a 40 year old woman who doesn’t post surf pics anymore isn’t indicative of a brand that gets it.

Maybe it just depends on what you think “it” is.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The rest of the thread: TL/DR. Well.. I only read the first page. But the above is a very silly statement.
What, specifically, was silly about it?

The era of of every other surfer getting paid big bucks to promote clothing is over, if you're not doing your job to rep a brand nobody is going to give you the time of day.

Kelia decided to become every other surfer. Her brand promotion for Roxy was minimal to nil. She was instead promoting her own brand and her own clothing boutique. Her newer image (urban fashion/streetwear) became about as far away from Roxy as you can get - she traded bikinis for NY Jets jerseys and Hawaii for Hollywood.

Here's Steph Gilmore's insta:

Screen Shot 2024-01-09 at 3.24.43 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-01-09 at 3.24.25 PM.png

and here's Kelia's

Screen Shot 2024-01-09 at 3.33.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-01-09 at 3.34.37 PM.png

Kelia never mattered to you, and that's ok. Decentralize yourself, it's fun.
Bullshit.

She had a very high level position in my spank bank. I've posted her photos here many times. That's why it was so disappointing to see her Insta go a different route.

Interestingly enough looks like over the past couple days she's started posting bikini pics and surf stuff again. Hmmmm.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Dumb to not even realise how to understand how to keep her bread buttered.

Does she not have managers, anyone who could tell her the tiny amount of work she needed to do to keep her sponsors happy?
For this go around it probably didn’t matter. They gave her an offer they knew she would refuse. It’s a mean old world out there.

Reactions: keenfish and sdsrfr

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
She’s got two kids and is in her mid 30’s, Roxy wasn’t going to be forever. Well, I guess it’s forever for Lisa Anderson though.

she’ll probably get picked up by Lululemon or Vuori for a decent amount of pay. Fret not.

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Speaking of two kids, Kolohe has two. I’ve got two around the same age and the last thing I’d want to do is travel for two weeks for a QS comp every month. One, I don’t want to be away from the kids and two the amount of fcking leverage your wife has if you leave that often is unbearable (even the coolest of cool chicks will be bitches about it).

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
She’s got two kids and is in her mid 30’s, Roxy wasn’t going to be forever. Well, I guess it’s forever for Lisa Anderson though.

she’ll probably get picked up by Lululemon or Vuori for a decent amount of pay. Fret not.
Plus she's got a shop in Kaka'ako, where rent is not cheap. She's got to bring in $$$ to make that place work, that's where she's gonna put her energy.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Speaking of two kids, Kolohe has two. I’ve got two around the same age and the last thing I’d want to do is travel for two weeks for a QS comp every month. One, I don’t want to be away from the kids and two the amount of fcking leverage your wife has if you leave that often is unbearable (even the coolest of cool chicks will be bitches about it).
Exactly.

Law of diminishing returns will set in very quickly once Kolohe realises the dream of contending for a World Title is gone.

Reactions: sdsrfr

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Urban street style is pretty common. I wish her luck In that game. I'm sure she'll be just fine, especially because she's kinda fine and she can always say fuggit and hang ten.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Plus she's got a shop in Kaka'ako, where rent is not cheap. She's got to bring in $$$ to make that place work, that's where she's gonna put her energy.
I don’t think that’s like a real boutique, more like a art installation / party spot/ consignment shop or something.

Isn’t her husband NY mafia?
His family is wealthy and religious, so maybe. He was Justin Beibers photographer for awhile, whatever that means. He’s also an “artist” who self claims he’s never had a job so yeah mafia.