What is the value of 10% of Kelia Moniz's prior contract?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Not sure- Ozzie Wright, Dion Agius, Asher Pacy- all on the wrong side of 40 and all still seem able to surf for a living.

Brendan Margieson, over 50, just signed with Florence Marine x.
That’s probably consumer maintenance. All aligned with brands and probably not as expensive as they once were.

Margo sorta fits with JJF’s vibe and maybe he’s hot some company management/responsibility? That’s the only place I see old pros here still on bigger brands.

Now, it’s definitely a consumer focused thing when you start talking Kerr, Knox etc sponsored by golf and yoga brands. Thats target age for sure.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I don't see a significant difference between consumer maintenance and consumer focus.

Are they technical terms?

All I know is that there are guys on the CT with white boards or fukall sponsorship money while old guys living high lives are still getting paid to surf.
Wade Goodall is another one.

He might be just under 40.

Dave Rastovich, is mid/late 40's- never had a job.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I don't see a significant difference between consumer maintenance and consumer focus.

All I know is that there are guys on the CT with white boards or fukall sponsorship money while old guys living high lives are still getting paid to surf.

Got damm! I should have been a better surfer and tried harder. Story of my life! Fuck these guys that make money surfing. I need money too! :cursing:

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Doof

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

Nah, I was just thinking they have a set of older folks who are still brand loyal so they’re trying to hold them with a more nostalgic vibe. Ultimately it’s all just brand management.

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
Dane, to his credit, realised it was insane and took what amounted to fcuk you money and built his own brand.

That decision now looks incredibly wise with the benefit of hindsight.
Dane never won diddly on tour and knew his days were numbered. But, I suppose it is wise to realize you aren't competitive at your job.

I don't get all the Dane love. I met him once, and he was most unfriendly. Beer guzzler extraordinaire.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Beer guzzler extraordinaire.
Dane gets love because he's not the typical CT/ASP/WSL cookie-cutter surfer like the Mick Fanning and Taj Burrow's of the world. And probably because he's so quirky.

Even after almost dying from busting his head open on glass, he paddled out next day and shredded.

Reactions: Havoc

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Schadenfreude.

Any rec surfer with a brain hates every sponnoed surfer.

Thats a reasonable IQ test.
It's funny, I see what you're saying. But try as I might, I can't seem to really hate Kelia Moniz. I dunno. I sit there and I say, I'm going to hate Lakey Peterson or Malia Manuel or Rosy Hodge. I say it but then two seconds later, I've just sort of lost that focus.

Reactions: TeamScam

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
A prophetic beer guzzler extroidinaire that rips and turned me on to good music in his edits. He seems quiet too. I don't know why I'm so different than wqs fans, but if I needed a surfer fan club to sign up for, he's a pretty good candidate.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
'Good while is lasted' is what you should say when you get fired

I try my hardest to say this whenever anything good ends, and everything ends.

Once I get past the 'moment', I'm like, "F*ck yeah, it was good (or bad) while it lasted....what's next?" I like to pretend it helps with my mindset...optimism better than pessimism for getting further along the roadway and all that claptrap.

Anyway, the Roxy thing....isn't it a teen brand (or have they changed)? While I suppose there is a bit of Peter Pan syndrome in anyone who surfs, do grown women really want teen brand stuff? I mean, sure, who wouldn't enjoy being paid handsomely to market XWZ to whomever, heck, pay me enough and I'll flog a fair amount of crap to the hoi polloi provided I too get to not have a 40-60hr a week day job, but like so many jobs that are biased towards age related image, isn't the end (of the job) obvious?

But I don't know, this is just me wondering out loud and probably a little envious no one ever paid me to do what I very much enjoyed doing.

Last edited: