What do you consider a comfortable annual salary?

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
It’s not the salary but the monthly expenses

My mortgage for my cottage down the road from the beach In Hawai’i is 3,000 per month. 3 bed 2 bath. Has some drawbacks but it works.

Your income relative to your expenses is what will make you comfortable.

If I got about 1000 a week for stuff like groceries, food, gas, travel that’s comfortable to me.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Sharkbiscuit said:
Racer1 said:
I had a number in my head that I thought would be comfortable. When I got there it still didn't seem enough. The only way things started to feel different is when you live frugal and majority of your income goes into savings. Once you start putting 50%+++ into savings and that starts snowballing, then it feels different. It's not what you buy that feels different, it's what you save that feels significant.

My income is taking a hit right now, the ups and downs of self employment, but the savings I did over the past few years when times were good is keeping me cool. Income will go back up again and I'll be even more frugal.
My gig is the SEC East in November, but here goes:

If you are putting money down Saturday, I kind of like the under, and I'd take the points with a gun to my head.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
ko25ok said:

My mortgage for my cottage down the road from the beach In Hawai’i is 3,000 per month. 3 bed 2 bath. Has some drawbacks but it works.

If I got about 1000 a week for stuff like groceries, food, gas, travel that’s comfortable to me.
Exactly. My housing costs are very low which makes everything else possible. Took on a car payment last year for the first time in a decade and hindsight being 20/20 I wish I hadn't because that new vehicle is cutting into my funds for doing fun stuff. Rather do fun stuff than have a nice SUV that I'll drive less than 10,000 miles a year. The lower you can keep your expenses the better.

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
When my mom was in her mid eighties I asked her how much money she thought a person needed to be financially secure. She was born in 1930 in the south and grew up in the shadow of the depression. Struggled most of her life with very little to no money. Later together we worked a small business and did ok. Parkinson's left her bedridden at the end, but her mind was sharp. She thought about the question, then said 40 million. I spent some time wondering why she came up with that number but decided it was right on.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
In the movie "This Is 40" there's a scene with record producer Paul Rudd and musician Graham Parker. Paul is freaking out because Graham's new album didn't sell very many copies. Graham totally doesn't give a sh!t and says he'll be fine because he has a small nut (very low overhead). Rudd starts freaking out more because he says he has a very large nut.

Always thought that was Judd Apatow trying to tell people something.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Havoc4k said:
obslop said:
gromsdad is 100% correct [never thought i'd type that. lol.]

overhead vs. income

assets - liabilities

this!

how many ppl make $350k+ a year and spend $355k in overhead and liabilities
Realistically, when my earnings passed annual $300K salary and bonus, the government took $100K in taxes (even with 401K and ‘catch up’ deductions). My wife handled family finances and paid off the house in a few years and I finally said enough (of the government’s hand in my pocket) and retired. Never looked back!

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
It's all relative to where you live and the cost of living. Here in LA I earn enough to live a good life but I'm still not a homeowner. Waiting on that crash. The day I take the plunge I anticipate being house poor for a while and making a lot of sacrifices to the charmed life I've been living.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I think there is a question one needs to answer first, at what age do you want to stop working and what do you plan on doing. Are you making status quo money and satisfied with that until you retire with equity and a bag of golf clubs and your own cart?

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
ko25ok said:

I'm in the same boat pretty much, mortgage on 3+2 Hawaii house with view of ocean and mountains, remodeled myself, is $2700. Fifteen minute drive to Sunset Beach. Living in van while working has saved me so much money.

It's the kids that are killing me (I still love them).

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
youcantbeserious said:
ko25ok said:

I'm in the same boat pretty much, mortgage on 3+2 Hawaii house with view of ocean and mountains, remodeled myself, is $2700. Fifteen minute drive to Sunset Beach. Living in van while working has saved me so much money.

It's the kids that are killing me (I still love them).
Funny you mention the van.

The way I was able to save up 170k for a down payment and closing costs was my wife and I lived in a 900 dollar a month 400 SF studio for 3 years.

We saved up the load and the dropped it on a home