What do you consider a comfortable annual salary?

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
I've been offered management jobs from a couple of bigger contractors in town. I tell them I'm not going to work for less than the plumber.

One said yes, two said no. I heard the one who said' yes' likes to scream at people and had a Napoleon complex. I declined his offer.

Eimeo

OTF status
Oct 18, 2005
Encinitas
I used to think $200K would be really really comfortable... I don't know what everyone does around my town for a living but everyone seems to have a ton of money, Sprinter vans, vacations, super nice cars, and every coffee shop and cafe is full all day long with people that don't seem to be working.

kawika

Michael Peterson status
Mar 25, 2003
Alaska/New Mexico/BCS, MX
Eimeo said:
I used to think $200K would be really really comfortable... I don't know what everyone does around my town for a living but everyone seems to have a ton of money, Sprinter vans, vacations, super nice cars, and every coffee shop and cafe is full all day long with people that don't seem to be working.
THIS

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
right now 1k month living nicely w kid

in a few months moving down to bali - need about 2.5 k to live well

money helps

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I live simply and am just about paid off on my house I bought in the 90s. To enjoy life I don't need much more than a roof over my head, food, bicycle, a surfboard and a fishing rod. If I had to I could enjoy life just fine on 40K. Making good decisions in your early 20s is the key. Buy a house where you'll like to live long term early and gain equity. Live simply and live well within your means. If you don't spend much money you don't have to worry much about the amount coming in.

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
GromsDad said:
I live simply and am just about paid off on my house I bought in the 90s. To enjoy life I don't need much more than a roof over my head, food, bicycle, a surfboard and a fishing rod. If I had to I could enjoy life just fine on 40K. Making good decisions in your early 20s is the key. Buy a house where you'll like to live long term early and gain equity. Live simply and live well within your means. If you don't spend much money you don't have to worry much about the amount coming in.
Dittto. Accumulation of wealth does not require a massive income. It requires that you spend less than you earn, and invest the proceeds safely.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Kawika said:
Eimeo said:
THIS
It's worth a thread in itself.

Maybe someone can explain.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
casa_mugrienta said:
Kawika said:
Eimeo said:
THIS
It's worth a thread in itself.

Maybe someone can explain.
Parents gave them money.

If you can inherit money, I recommend it.

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
Eimeo said:
I used to think $200K would be really really comfortable... I don't know what everyone does around my town for a living but everyone seems to have a ton of money, Sprinter vans, vacations, super nice cars, and every beach is full all day long with people that don't seem to be working.

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
It's relative to location but in general $50k or the ability to cover the minimum expenses without worry about food or rent will get that stress off you. After that, it's not until $5,000,000 that you really see a difference. In between you just buy nicer versions of the same sh!t.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I guess it depends on what you consider living comfortably. With family of 4 that is pretty active outdoors and likes to go on road trips, camping, etc., (but also has mortgage, car payments, medical expenses, etc.), I'd say at least $150,000/year.

Throw a few family ski/snowboard trips (a weekend in Mammoth runs into the thousands) and a solid vacation or two in the mix, I'd say closer to $200K/year, at least living in SoCal.

And as others alluded to above, I don't know for the life of me how all the idle people have money to maintain the lifestyles that they do. I'm guessing a lot are in massive debt because they can't all be trustafarians.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
It depends.

I will say child care is a big one. I make much less than my friends who are in a two income household but seem to have more expendable income since I'm not paying a second mortgage payment on child care.

I've spent most of my adult life in SOCAL and Hawaii. I'd say comfortable depends on where and what you want to live in. I'd imagine over 60K if you're single and 100K if you're married will make you comfortable. You'll need much more if you want a single family home close to the surf.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Kento said:
Throw a few family ski/snowboard trips (a weekend in Mammoth runs into the thousands) and a solid vacation or two in the mix, I'd say closer to $200K/year, at least living in SoCal
It's insane how much Mammoth trips cost. My wife and I went for two nights and spent almost $1500.