What do you consider a comfortable annual salary?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Eimeo said:
I want to take a week off and go around the beach towns of San Diego and ask everyone living near or west of the coast 101 HWY what they do for a living and how much they make? Every home from Carlsbad to Point Loma is genuinely over $1.5MM and most are north of $2MM, and there are thousands of homes... how are there that many rich people in just this small stretch?

I think it would be awesome to have a Wikipedia like resource that described jobs in every category and what the real world compensation is for those roles if I were just getting started out in life. For instance, my son has an open invitation to go through the life guard academy here in Encinitas when he turns 18... could work that job up to captain over the years and I am sure that job has good benefits and perks... but how much can he realistically expect to make at the top of the ranks? I am sure it probably would not be enough to buy a home in Encinitas.

It's insane to me how much it seems like everyone makes around my town, I am fascinated and want to know what they all do for a living!

As the population grows, people of means grow. And there's limited space in that stretch of coastal area. So that space has no problem becoming full of people of means.

But

If you work in my profession it's pretty easy to get a good general idea what your colleagues are making. Lots of them own much nicer homes than I do, drive very nice and nicer cars than I do, go on resort vacations, weekend in Vegas, etc. Many also have tons of student loans to pay off.

Most of them live east...RB, San Marcos, etc. 650 - 850K for a decent 3 bedroom as most have kids.

I imagine many of these people are holding a lot of debt and have huge mortgage payments.

And remember - lenders will approve you for double what you can actually afford.

That said, I'm still curious what a lot of these people in coastal San Diego do for a living, how much their take home is, and how much debt they're holding,

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Yeah, coastal San Diego...(I live in San Marcos)...I think you're either very successful at what you do, have owned your home for a long time (a lot in Enc.), or are a transplant from the bay area that sold and can buy anything without blinking an eye...

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
casa_mugrienta said:
And remember - lenders will approve you for double what you can actually afford.

That said, I'm still curious what a lot of these people in coastal San Diego do for a living, how much their take home is, and how much debt they're holding,
Don't worry, home values will never decrease, so you'll always be able to refi and never be a default risk, and it's not like people would have a COUNTRYWIDE incentive to walk away from underwater assets costing them interest, so we can use this 2x actually affordable loan as the basis for all kinds of margin gambling. What could go wrong?

I ran into some Enci boys in Sexico. I asked about some of the other homies and they told me one of them got married and bought a house. I asked if it was in Dallas-Ft. Worth or Phoenix and heard it was in Encinitas. He's a teacher; no idea what the wife does.

Most people I know own homes. I think one of them actually came up with all the money himself - the one in Mar Vista amusingly enough - who now also owns an AirBnB/VRBO or whatever out in Joshua Tree. Basically everyone else had the income to cover a mortgage but put a tap on the Mom & Dad keg to get that down payment right.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Basically everyone else had the income to cover a mortgage but put a tap on the Mom & Dad keg to get that down payment right.
I hear the mom and dad thing too.

Having the income to cover a mortgage and being able to afford the mortgage are two different things too.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
casa_mugrienta said:
Having the income to cover a mortgage and being able to afford the mortgage are two different things too.
I don't follow? To me they are the same thing; I don't live where you lived so the extent to which people are "house poor" eg throwing down ~50% of take home on mortgage is not "a thing".

Is that what you are talking about, drawing a distinction where "cover" = it's not greater than 100% of take home, and "afford" is it's not greater than 100% of take home minus food, transportation, health insurance, property tax, homeowners insurance, etc?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I'm saying if you're living paycheck to paycheck to cover your mortgage + expenses (and a lot of people do that + credit card debt) you are not affording your mortgage.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Sharkbiscuit said:
casa_mugrienta said:
I don't follow? To me they are the same thing; I don't live where you lived so the extent to which people are "house poor" eg throwing down ~50% of take home on mortgage is not "a thing".

Is that what you are talking about, drawing a distinction where "cover" = it's not greater than 100% of take home, and "afford" is it's not greater than 100% of take home minus food, transportation, health insurance, property tax, homeowners insurance, etc?
My interpretation of that statement (which may not be what casamooglimoogs was getting at) is that it’s easy to look at your prospective home price relative to your income and think you can afford it. On paper. But once you factor in the rest of daily life’s expenses, including the unexpected ones and lifestyle induced, it’s easy for people to fall behind :shrug:
One thing that’s helped me is using the app Mint. You link your credit card and see exactly how much of what categories your daily spending is going into. It’s pretty eye opening, to say the least, especially when you look at your rolling averages over the course of 6-12 months :toilet: :drowning:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
casa_mugrienta said:
I'm saying if you're living paycheck to paycheck to cover your mortgage + expenses (and a lot of people do that + credit card debt) you are not affording your mortgage.
Solid copy.

grapedrink said:
Sharkbiscuit said:
casa_mugrienta said:

My interpretation of that statement (which may not be what casamooglimoogs was getting at) is that it’s easy to look at your prospective home price relative to your income and think you can afford it. On paper. But once you factor in the rest of daily life’s expenses, including the unexpected ones and lifestyle induced, it’s easy for people to fall behind :shrug:
One thing that’s helped me is using the app Mint. You link your credit card and see exactly how much of what categories your daily spending is going into. It’s pretty eye opening, to say the least, especially when you look at your rolling averages over the course of 6-12 months :toilet: :drowning:
This is quality work. Solid understanding/explanation and stylization on point.

xxx

Nep status
Nov 18, 2006
Muscles said:
xxx said:
Then your starting wage is 100K, plus benefits.
What trades start at $50 per hour?

Trades gets thrown around a lot as the best thing ever. IMO, the work wears your body down fast and you're well being is at the mercy of economic cycles.

Besides, is 100K really worth back breaking labor that will lead to life long injuries? The finance, engineer, and accounting guys in my office in their late 20s clear well over 100K to sit at a desk. Seems like a much better path.

The majority of trades in socal, journeyman status, start in the high $40's per hour, plus the benefits package. So, my hourly wage is about $85-90 per hour. My injuries stem from racing motorcycles and surfing. The work helps keep me in shape and I watch these young guys get fat behind their desk!

Regarding economic cycles. I tell ALL the young guys to start saving money as soon as they can. There is one benefit in California right now, for the trades. SB1. The estimated income from that tax over the next 10 years is 52 billion dollars. Almost all of that is earmarked for highway improvements. I find an economic downturn is unlikely.

YeahNo

OTF status
Jan 20, 2017
Kelly's Cove
Autoprax said:
My GF was trying to buy a house in the hood of SF before things got crazy and some Chinese people came in with shopping bags full of cash.
That's calmed down a little bit. Still, anything around $900k-$1M is still most likely going to need kitchen and bathroom updates...maybe new windows all around. A year or two ago there were a few $1M gut jobs in my neighborhood (outer richmond/outer sunset). We are lucky that we got into something affordable 6 years ago. It's small, but it's across the street from the beach in an area we really love.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Racer1 said:
I had a number in my head that I thought would be comfortable. When I got there it still didn't seem enough. The only way things started to feel different is when you live frugal and majority of your income goes into savings. Once you start putting 50%+++ into savings and that starts snowballing, then it feels different. It's not what you buy that feels different, it's what you save that feels significant.

My income is taking a hit right now, the ups and downs of self employment, but the savings I did over the past few years when times were good is keeping me cool. Income will go back up again and I'll be even more frugal.
My gig is the SEC East in November, but here goes:

If you are putting money down Saturday, I kind of like the under, and I'd take the points with a gun to my head. Note Orlando is technically a neutral site but this will be a Gator crowd hands down.

Vegas has Southern Cal at 7 wins; I like the under. Sparty at 7.5 I kind of like the over.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Sharkbiscuit said:
Racer1 said:
I had a number in my head that I thought would be comfortable. When I got there it still didn't seem enough. The only way things started to feel different is when you live frugal and majority of your income goes into savings. Once you start putting 50%+++ into savings and that starts snowballing, then it feels different. It's not what you buy that feels different, it's what you save that feels significant.

My income is taking a hit right now, the ups and downs of self employment, but the savings I did over the past few years when times were good is keeping me cool. Income will go back up again and I'll be even more frugal.

If you are putting money down Saturday, I kind of like the under, and I'd take the points with a gun to my head. Note Orlando is technically a neutral site but this will be a Gator crowd hands down.

Vegas has Southern Cal at 7 wins; I like the under. Sparty at 7.5 I kind of like the over.
The under on SC winning 7 is a good bet.

I give it 4 before Lynn Swann cries.

I'd add that I was pretty close to on the money last year for 6 games before the "Chucky Sucks" chants returned to the Oakland Coliseum.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Kento said:
Sharkbiscuit said:
Racer1 said:

I'd add that I was pretty close to on the money last year for 6 games before the "Chucky Sucks" chants returned to the Oakland Coliseum.
I'm not saying this as a shot at USC. Stanford, Utah, at Washington, and at Notre Dame are in the first six weeks. Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson are the only locks to go better than 3-3 against that. Picking Urban Meyer to be their next coach has been a meme since Thanksgiving.

It just doesn't feel likely that a team who will probably be 2-4 halfway through, whose coach will probably have one foot out the door, and a fanbase with playlists set to early/mid 90s LA Riots rap songs is going to turn around and go 5-1 even writing off Oregon vs a bunch of fellow PAC-12 South teams all trying to get to 6 wins and a bowl game.

If Colorado and Cal (HOW THE ACTUAL FUCK DID USC LOSE TO THEM?) were where Washington and ND are in the schedule, this'd be a 5-1 at worst team starting to buy in, with something to play for.

The North crossover games are brutal for USC this year. If it was Oregon State and Wazzu this would be a dark-horse pick to win the conference on talent alone.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Sharkbiscuit said:
casa_mugrienta said:

Don't worry, home values will never decrease, so you'll always be able to refi and never be a default risk, and it's not like people would have a COUNTRYWIDE incentive to walk away from underwater assets costing them interest, so we can use this 2x actually affordable loan as the basis for all kinds of margin gambling. What could go wrong?
Not sure I follow, could you put that in Lehman's terms?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
the janitor said:
Sharkbiscuit said:
casa_mugrienta said:

Not sure I follow, could you put that in Lehman's terms?
If we have a Bear market, there could be Stearn consequences.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Sharkbiscuit said:
Kento said:
Sharkbiscuit said:
Racer1 said:

I'm not saying this as a shot at USC. Stanford, Utah, at Washington, and at Notre Dame are in the first six weeks. Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson are the only locks to go better than 3-3 against that. Picking Urban Meyer to be their next coach has been a meme since Thanksgiving.

It just doesn't feel likely that a team who will probably be 2-4 halfway through, whose coach will probably have one foot out the door, and a fanbase with playlists set to early/mid 90s LA Riots rap songs is going to turn around and go 5-1 even writing off Oregon vs a bunch of fellow PAC-12 South teams all trying to get to 6 wins and a bowl game.

If Colorado and Cal (HOW THE ACTUAL FUCK DID USC LOSE TO THEM?) were where Washington and ND are in the schedule, this'd be a 5-1 at worst team starting to buy in, with something to play for.

The North crossover games are brutal for USC this year. If it was Oregon State and Wazzu this would be a dark-horse pick to win the conference on talent alone.
I'm kinda glad I let my season tickets lapse once I had my kids. Total shitshow at SC. Helton gets a bunch of 5-stars and turns them into 2-stars by the time he's done with them. He made Kiffin and his endless WR screens that got 2 yards at best or pick-6 at worst look innovative. That was usually drowned out by Monte Kiffin's defense that gave up 500 yards through the air per game and that was just to the thalidomide QBs.

How did USC lose to Cal? Because they stink. I think last year was the first time in decades that both USC and UCLA were bowl-ineligible. My wife and I just laughed at the landfill inferno that was LA football. We would bet on which team would lose worse. It was so bad it drove us to temporary sobriety - what would you even pair with those kind of games? Paint thinner? Even that's too good. The situation is so bad that Steel Reserve is comparatively right on line with a solid Bordeaux.

Urban Meyer? Please. SC is just too navel-gazing (and it shows in their fucking geriatric driving, at least in OC) to even look outside their alumni base. That's how we ended up with Pat Haden and then Lynn Swann as AD. Pete Carroll was a really lucky 3rd choice coach in hindsight.

I bet we end up with Jeff Fisher as coach.