What are your realistic expectations of when and how the beaches will re-open?

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
I checked the live feed of one of my local beaches and there is someone out surfing.
I just got off the phone with 911 and they are sending SWAT, National Guard and a Coast Guard cutter to put a stop to this.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
I checked the live feed of one of my local beaches and there is someone out surfing.
I just got off the phone with 911 and they are sending SWAT, National Guard and a Coast Guard cutter to put a stop to this.
couple out here up thee coast right now, wish i was too!
hahaha!

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Why not send a MIRV? That'll fix em.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I think the beaches will open when the state government figures out they need tourist revenue. Our state government is a money furnace - it takes tons of money to have all these overlapping agencies to keep the seas safe from SUPiracy and so forth. Also, the bureaucrats who retire on their pensions at 55 need taxpayers to fund CalPERS. Then there's the UI claims.

I think the state is going to declare victory pretty soon and get back to normal or we're in for a historical sea change not seen since 1648. I think the government knows this so my money is on them declaring victory.

Reactions: bobwarren

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I think the beaches will open when the state government figures out they need tourist revenue. Our state government is a money furnace - it takes tons of money to have all these overlapping agencies to keep the seas safe from SUPiracy and so forth. Also, the bureaucrats who retire on their pensions at 55 need taxpayers to fund CalPERS. Then there's the UI claims.

I think the state is going to declare victory pretty soon and get back to normal or we're in for a historical sea change not seen since 1648. I think the government knows this so my money is on them declaring victory.
The problem is once things open up the social distancing rules will have to stay in place as it's the only thing that keeps this managable both from a healthcare perspective and a labor force perspective.

A lot of people sick or hospitalized for weeks or suddenly dead is a nightmare for people who have a business to run.

To me this means economic depression due to labor force issues and because anything involving large groups of people is going to remain shut down.

Beaches
Bars
Restaurants open but with reduced clientele due to restrictive seating.
No concerts/clubs.

Nobody is going to have money to travel.

Cities like San Diego are so epicly f*cked.

Surfing will remain a no go activity.

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The problem is once things open up the social distancing rules will have to stay in place as it's the only thing that keeps this managable both from a healthcare perspective and a labor force perspective.

To me this means economic depression because anything involving large groups of people is going to remain shut down.

Beaches
Bars
Restaurants open but with reduced clientele due to restrictive seating.
No concerts/clubs.

Nobody is going to have money to travel.

Cities like San Diego are so epicly f*cked.
This will be.a good time to take a surf trip.

Reactions: paunch23

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Let's agree to disagree.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Let's agree to disagree.
I'm saying we have to open things up by summer.

But dealing with clusters of outbreaks at places of employment is going to be difficult enough.

That's why the "nonessential" things in life like beaches, bars, etc will remain closed.

You're also going to have people who realize they're high risk (especially the obese) who are going to be afraid to go back to work. If they do return, plan on either having these people out a month or two or finding a replacement.

Tough times ahead.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Let's agree to disagree.
I said this to my girl friend and she said no.

So I say, "Okay, let just disagree to agree?"

She says no.

So I says, "Okay, let's just disagree to disagree?"

She says no.

I couldn't figure out then next one would be.

I told her to take the big 5 personality test and she scored in the bottom 5% for agreeableness.

I was like, Oh, that's a surprise.

That is a good trait for a negotiator or a lawyer.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Chatter around NE FL/SE GA about opening the beaches until 10am. Various restrictions on group sizes, legal or not to sit down, things like umbrellas, chairs, and tents being banned.

I heard the sandbar inside Fort Pierce Inlet has been a complete clusterf--k packed goat rodeo on the weekends.

I've been going out at sunset for activities/movement and haven't really seen an issue, but apparently during the day on the weekends, the 1st Street is pretty crowded still.

casa what is your two cents on distancing while exercising in the Jax Beaches. Sea breeze, exhaling heavily, inhaling deeply...10 feet? 20 feet? I'm going to see if the ancient bands on my ding repair mask manage not to break for the grocery store, or just tie a t-shirt around my mouth, but for jogging/cycling around the neighborhood, with no mask, how far?

Reactions: bobwarren

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
casa what is your two cents on distancing while exercising in the Jax Beaches. Sea breeze, exhaling heavily, inhaling deeply...10 feet? 20 feet?
I say no one has actually studied the virus in regards to this.

I overheard a pulmonologist at my job pretty pissed about that DONT GO ANYWHERE NEAR THE WATER SEASPRAY AND ONSHORE BREEZES R THE ENEMY!!! article by that idiot atmospheric chemist at Scripps Research.