What are your realistic expectations of when and how the beaches will re-open?

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
They need to allow water access. Close the walkways and lots, don’t allow gathering on the sand, but let people in the water. It’s the safest I’ve felt these last three weeks. If it was a risk we‘d have heard if surfers dropping from the cv by now.

• Love
Reactions: ~rwright~

haar

Michael Peterson status
Apr 28, 2011
Oceanside
EVERYONE, including the government, wants this to be over as soon as possible. They want us going to the beach and spending money. I say June 1st.

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
EVERYONE, including the government, wants this to be over as soon as possible. They want us going to the beach and spending money. I say June 1st.
The Fed and States need our tax $$$$$. Hospitals are losing their ass on this sh!t, too. Hospitals are VERY FOR PROFIT entities run by bean counters and the govt won't be able to afford to float them. That's why this can't and won't go into June.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
Reactions: bobwarren

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I am hoping the general feeling/belief/media truth of the day gets us to a climax, I'm sorry, apex a lot sooner than a steady ramp up dragging April into May into June ... It's bad. It's dark. Scary. So is trying to hide half the year surviving on media and internet daily pukings. I can do this for about three more weeks myself.
I'm getting ready to re-read some classics to see if I might not end up in a better place.
Summer must happen.

Reactions: doc_flavonoid

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
I hope they extend our state beach parking passes....end of the year sounds fair

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Short of a miracle you can forget about surfing for a very long time.

Due to decades of complacency the US does not have the means in place to control even a major epidemic in this country.

That's going to keep the beaches closed for at least a year, probably longer.

After this first wave people are going to want to / have to go back to work and simply deal with the consequences of the virus. Lotta people probably going to die but the feds/state govmts are going to simply go along with demands of the people to return to a level of some normalcy. Feds/state govmts already know this has to happen - they're just going to "let the people choose" so to speak. And people are going to be demanding and end to lockdown and a desire not to lose their business and be able to put food in their kid's mouths.

After lockdown ends the second wave begins.

The second wave will consist of epidemics popping up around the country like little (or maybe big) fires.

Group activities will make these epidemics much larger and much more difficult maintain some level of containment of the epidemics.

Thus, beaches and parks will stay closed along with bars/gathering places/events.

Restaurants will open with strict seating guidelines.

Social distancing will remain in place basically everywhere.

Unemployment is going to be high and we will be in a depression.

Surfing will be the last thing on many of our minds.

Last edited:

haar

Michael Peterson status
Apr 28, 2011
Oceanside
No way it'll be a year before they open the beaches.

Schools closed first, then non essential businesses, then beaches. This is the order things will reopen but in reverse.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Schools closed first, then non essential businesses, then beaches. This is the order things will reopen but in reverse.
Beaches will remain closed and will likely open last as it will be impossible for the powers that be to enforce social distancing.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Have the mayor say they're re-opening the beaches, and actually enforcing the no alcohol law. If they kept the bars closed and had one guy on a 4-wheeler asking to look into coolers, that'd be almost every single group that's not a family, and half the families. No alcohol is posted at basically every place it's possible to access sand in Duval County, but generally if you're using a coozy on cans and not littering your empties around your group, it's never enforced.

Have people in the full on biohazard sh!t taze and Covid-test anyone who argues; those are exactly the people that are going WalMart 4x/week during lockdown.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Beaches will remain closed as it will be impossible for the powers that be to enforce social distancing.
One jr. lifeguard on a 4-wheeler with a radio and a bulletproof vest. Done.

IMHO the problem is the people who are already the problem. They're going to argue it out with the police. Make them cuff him. Boom. Transmission of Covid. Just to try to be a squeaky wheel like always.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
He'll find his place in the Guiness Book of World Records for most "fook YOU"s ever received in a day.
Keep the fishing piers and pavillions closed, take down the volleyball nets. Keep the bars closed. Enforce the existing no-alcohol laws in Cocoa Beach, Daytona Beach, and Jacksonville Beach. Have the local surfers tag "I have the 'rona" on the handrailings in wax. Could probably open everything from Martin County to Georgia.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Buddy if we're doing this until August NONE of us will have jobs to go back to. I don't care what industry you are in.
This is the word I'm getting. I work for the federal govt. I can't believe it.