What’s Driving California’s Mass Exodus?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The issue is not the people leaving. The issue is the major tax base leaving, the businesses. OTOH, Texas is fiscally sound and you can get your plant built cheaper than other places because of the undocumented labor. Plus, Texas wants these companies even if the people who work for them are perverted, communist cannibals. Doesn't that make you happy?
People are stressed from the pandemic.

I wouldn't be surprised if CA has a few more booms left in it.

My friend who has a business in CA cries about how hard it is to do business here.

He has two houses, two boats, two race cars, one truck, two regular cars, 9 big screens, 35 surfboards.

I'm like, "Yeah, I get that it's frustrating, but you have to admit, it's also been profitable for you for the last 30 years."

He's like, "No."

It's funny when your friends go crazy.

Last edited:

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas

My friend who has a business in CA cries about how hard it is to do business here.

He has two houses, two boats, two race cars, one truck, two regular cars, 9 big screens, 35 surfboards.

I'm like, "Yeah, I get that it's frustrating, but you have to admit, it's also been profitable for you for the last 30 years."

He's like, "No."

I've known several business owners whose querulous nature worked to their advantage. Whine at the city council. Complain to the tax district. School the suppliers. Victims can be ingratiating.

Reactions: Autoprax

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
The issue is not the people leaving. The issue is the major tax base leaving, the businesses. OTOH, Texas is fiscally sound and you can get your plant built cheaper than other places because of the undocumented labor. Plus, Texas wants these companies even if the people who work for them are perverted, communist cannibals. Doesn't that make you happy?
Which state has a bigger budget surplus?

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III

He's like, "No."

Yeah, see, this is literally insanity.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I love the accent. I was speaking with it by the time I was in the Houston/Hobby airport parking lot walking to get my rent a car.

My friend and I made friends with a teacher who was from Texas who was at the conference and she pretty had got rid of her accent.

Then my friend and I were talking that way to her so she started doing it too.

It's real fun.

Southern accents are so mellifluous.

Not like Ca.

All slow and low.

Maybe I should move to Texas.

Last edited:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
How long before Austin becomes like California, with a large, highly techno-educated upper-class, a large, dirt-poor lower-class, and a relatively small middle-class that is slowly getting priced out? At their present growth rate I give 'em 10 years before the problems become unmanageable.

Reactions: tacos and CutnSnip

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
How long before Austin becomes like California, with a large, highly techno-educated upper-class, a large, dirt-poor lower-class, and a relatively small middle-class that is slowly getting priced out? At their present growth rate I give 'em 10 years before the problems become unmanageable.
my friend has lived there for decades

he'd say it's already happened