What’s Driving California’s Mass Exodus?

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
People will just wallow in it, as long as it's 70 degrees in January, and 70 degrees in August (and no humidity)

They'll eat the homeless sh!t and dirty needles off the sidewalk to keep their little walled off slice of paradise.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
People will just wallow in it, as long as it's 70 degrees in January, and 70 degrees in August (and no humidity)

They'll eat the homeless sh!t and dirty needles off the sidewalk to keep their little walled off slice of paradise.
It beats the alternative (Texas).
I drove over an hour one way yesterday, including through a supercell with a tornado in it (phone and radio going apeshit on I-95) to get the surf to go from knee-thigh to thigh-waist, the air from 60 to 72, and the water from 57 to 62.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar

Really? Do you have a lot of homeless sh!t and dirty needles on your sidewalks?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

Is that what you're doing?

I've lived here my entire life (save for 18 months) and never have I eaten sh!t or been bothered with dirty needles on the sidewalk.

If it's so bad, pull an ifall or Ogre and split.

Reactions: tacos

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
There are definitely a few homeless folks wandering O'side these days. It's sad. And yes, there are a few needles here and there. The problem's not unique to CA, however, and I doubt Surfdog is ever actually inconvenience by it.

Reactions: tacos

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Not my 'hood at all. But ask the walled off urbanians living in SF and LA.

Seems they've documented it well.

Suburbia is still sheltered, but seeing increases each new year.

Dirty and polluting homeless camps in river and creek beds aren't even hassled anymore.

As long as it's out of sight. It's out of mind.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
There are definitely a few homeless folks wandering O'side these days. It's sad. And yes, there are a few needles here and there. The problem's not unique to CA, however, and I doubt Surfdog is ever actually inconvenience by it.
It starts in one slightly urbanized area, and grows out from there.

No, doesn't really "inconvenience" me so much. It's just sad our state has let it get to this point, and STILL not doing anything to prevent it.

CA local/state guv is accepting it as the price of paradise.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
How long before Austin becomes like California, with a large, highly techno-educated upper-class, a large, dirt-poor lower-class, and a relatively small middle-class that is slowly getting priced out? At their present growth rate I give 'em 10 years before the problems become unmanageable.
Where Austin has the advantage is more buildable land, cheaper construction costs and a more expedient process. Whereas California has the exact opposite of all of those. Which is great for aesthetics but bad for affordability. Most libs think that high rent is because developers and landlords are greedy, yet vote for politicians that drive the cost of new construction artificially high.

That said, when an area has a higher cost of living, that typically gets priced into salaries. I can imagine that places like Texas, Idaho, etc are struggling with that as buyers with deep pocket drive up costs while local salaries remain more or less the same, or at best respond very slowly.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

No, doesn't really "inconvenience" me so much. It's just sad our state has let it get to this point, and STILL not doing anything to prevent it.

What does the state do to prevent it?

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas

Duh, like homeless people are flocking into the deserts because that's where all the soup kitchens and flop houses are. Sheesh.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018

What are your solutions?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Is that what you're doing?

I've lived here my entire life (save for 18 months) and never have I eaten sh!t or been bothered with dirty needles on the sidewalk.

If it's so bad, pull an ifall or Ogre and split.
I split in 1979. If there was a Stu on the streets then his mommy was pushing him in a stroller.

If surfing was your first priority at your age you wouldn’t be where you are. It was mine at that age so that’s why I’m where I’m at.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I think when I retire and I move I might go some where cheap, build a kick ass carver wave ramp and I kick ass home gym.

And good A/C and heating.

With HBO GO, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Apple+, I could live on mars with that stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: john4surf and afoaf