What’s Driving California’s Mass Exodus?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Every recession this happens. People sell their million dollar houses and move to Colorado or Oregon or Washington or wherever. This time Texas is popular.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Every recession this happens. People sell their million dollar houses and move to Colorado or Oregon or Washington or wherever. This time Texas is popular.
Texas was popular for the same reason in the early 70’s, and a couple of times thereafter. Boom to bust followed by boom to bust. Rinse and repeat.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Not so much less people.

It will be about the same people (maybe more, a lot more), but less middle class and more wealthy and the poor that support them.

Equality will be replaced by Equity.

Those with it and those without it.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
California with less people sounds great.

View attachment 105084
Seems most people that moved here from somewhere out of state/country feel this way.

"I got my little piece of the So Cal dream, the rest can f off."

It's only going to get more dense with more building going vertical, instead of out in the built out burbs.

North County SD is already filling in fast. More new people in the area than I've seen since I moved down here in '93.

It was fairly slow growth at first, but the trend for taller and denser apartments and townhomes will turn this once spacious area with open space gaps between cities into LA/OC solid city suburbia in another 10-15 years.

Most in SD used to hate what LA is/was, now it seems newcomers want to be just like it. Outta here sooner than later.

One of the better LA car chase scenes.......(last couple minutes)

Last edited:
Reactions: Chocki

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Again, when was the first mass exodus from CA?

Did Moses have to part the Pacific Ocean and bail because there were already too many dorks from the mid-west when he got here?
I recall in the early '90s a lot of people moved out. Colorado seemed to have been the popular destination at the time.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
My mom's friend did this and they moved back in two years because it was too cold.

But they couldn't afford a house so they have to move into a smaller house and rent.

I would wait for the pandemic to end and then decide.

But no one listens to a knowitall.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I hope they know what they are getting themselves into in Texas. As the population grows they will be taxed more. It's kind of how things work.

Then biz will go someplace else.

The constant chasing of lower taxes and less regulation by corporations should not be surprising to anyone.

I recall in the early '90s a lot of people moved out. Colorado seemed to have been the popular destination at the time.
LOTS of people moved to Oregon in the 90s too. Bend was a destination for NorCal people who thought it was too populous in the greater Bay Area back then.

[Googles Bend, Oregon]

DAMN! In 1990 Bend had 20K people, by 2000, 52K people, 2010 census was 76K people. Wonder what 2020 brings.

• Wow
Reactions: Driftcoast

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I sit in my house and read in the news and on these pages and see on the tube what a shithole California is becoming and I think seriously about moving. Then I go out and look at the beauty of the mountains and the sea and see so many people enjoying life outdoors almost every day of the year, and then I participate in that enjoyment, and think to myself, 'no way am I ever leaving."