Weight loss is harder than rocket science.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
what about the people like Alec Baldwin, who put on 50 lbs and 35 of it is their head? Or Kristie Allie, who puts on 100lb but her face is still a thin persons face?
Also amazing. The human body is amazing

I feel legitimately bad for those women in the video

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I’ve humble bragged on probably a few threads but I’m half asleep. I’ve lost 40 pounds in 8 months by portion control to go with all my exercsie to stay surf -Fit. Not a food nazi, but like 4 days a week under 1000:total calories per day. Have a good meal or a few of the chocolates here and there. But I have been running a calorie deficit with relative ease (maybe moody sometimes if I haven’t eaten in 18 hours or whatever. Mostly when I eat it’s small healthy portions of somethin yummy. 5 10 188 now ( just lost another 6 this month. and forget when I was a drunk, many of you knew me and partied with me I was a jolly fat fuck that could surf, topping out at 255 6 years ago. All new clothes in an expensive town where a decent work style is expected now instead of just suits, costs some shekels.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
And I’m doing a spin ride tomorrow at Equinox Grand Central to raise money for Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center hint hint pm for deets if you aren’t already overwhelmed with good intentioned fund raisers I made sure to have a big hearty meal tonight

Reactions: test_article

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
If erbb collectively donates another $250 I will write erBB on my bicep for photo ops and post for the roast

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Good on you for the fundraising but you might not wanna claim the erBB in that crowd. I dunno. Is spinning another term for exercise bike right?

Reactions: Subway

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
I read that yesterday. Not sure why I’m still surprised when a clickbait article in my apple news feed has a headline that has almost nothing to do with the content. Shocker.

Anyways. There’s a lot of talk about “Set Point” theory where your body will fIght to keep you at a certain weight, even if you are supposedly doing everything right. Yes, there is some metabolic adaptation when in a deficit where your body becomes more efficient, but not enough to overcome thermodynamics. For the most part, it’s a theory with minimal evidence to back it up.

What most people don’t realize is whatever you have to do to lose weight, you will probably have to keep doing in order to stay at that weight. Are you going to eat chicken breast, broccoli and brown rice almost every night for dinner for rest of your life? What does exist is a lifestyle set point. If you enjoy a few drinks in the evening, a few more on the weekend, ice cream after dinner, snacking, pizza on Friday nights, etc your waistline and average weight will reflect that. The only way to keep weight off is to give up at least some of those habits permanently, or at best not indulge in them habitually.
I eat chicken, broccoli, and rice just about every night. It's a great meal.

Reactions: Subway

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Losing is simple. Eat less.
I've never been able to eat less. Eating better yes but not eating less. Over the past 7 months I dropped 20 pounds not by eating less. I lost it by working hard at the gym and replacing junk food with more meat and veggies. I tried eating less and then I would just get hungry and binge eat all the wrong things to make up for the deficit. You still need your stomach to feel full and satisfied.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I've never been able to eat less.
I didn’t say it was easy. I said it was simple.

Eating better yes but not eating less.

Eating ”better” usually means you end up cutting calories, aka: eating less.

Over the past 7 months I dropped 20 pounds not by eating less. I lost it by working hard at the gym and replacing junk food with more meat and veggies.
You ate fewer calories than you burned. Working out wasn’t necessary for the weight, but it‘s generally good for you.

Training yourself skinny is somewhat of a myth. Your body will burn more calories but people almost alway increase caloric intake.

When I trained for Ironman Kona I was 175lbs (already pretty fit) in April and by September, 3 weeks before race day, I was 185. I was doing 11-17 hours of cardio a week. I cut calories and weighed in at 177 on race day all while tapering off of training.

I tried eating less and then I would just get hungry and binge eat all the wrong things to make up for the deficit.
That’s just a lack of disciplin.

You still need your stomach to feel full and satisfied.
No you don’t.

I recently bumped up over 190 due to lack of discipline so I made some adjustments. For the last 3 weeks I have never felt ”full and satisfied.”

Now I’m at 185 (I like to drop slow).

Reactions: Ifallalot

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
And when most meals are small, the occasional big dinner out or whatever, you can eat a decadent meal but get that “full and satisfied“ feeling with less food despite the indulgence. Carpe most diems but only eat big once or twice a week, keep the portions small balanced and healthy the majority of the time. Minimal sugar intake etc.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I eat chicken, broccoli, and rice just about every night. It's a great meal.
I have nothing against those at all, except for brown rice. That stuff is gross. I often eat similar meals. I’m more illustrating that you shouldn’t diet in a way that is drastically different from how you plan to eat afterwards. The more you diverge back towards the unhealthy habits you had before, the more weight you will gain back.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I've never been able to eat less. Eating better yes but not eating less. Over the past 7 months I dropped 20 pounds not by eating less. I lost it by working hard at the gym and replacing junk food with more meat and veggies. I tried eating less and then I would just get hungry and binge eat all the wrong things to make up for the deficit. You still need your stomach to feel full and satisfied.
Replacing junk and carbs with veggies and protein is a good strategy. That way you can consume a similar volume of food that has less calories because it’s more filling and satiating.

Also, eat on smaller plates.

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
I’ve humble bragged on probably a few threads but I’m half asleep. I’ve lost 40 pounds in 8 months by portion control to go with all my exercsie to stay surf -Fit. Not a food nazi, but like 4 days a week under 1000:total calories per day. Have a good meal or a few of the chocolates here and there. But I have been running a calorie deficit with relative ease (maybe moody sometimes if I haven’t eaten in 18 hours or whatever. Mostly when I eat it’s small healthy portions of somethin yummy. 5 10 188 now ( just lost another 6 this month. and forget when I was a drunk, many of you knew me and partied with me I was a jolly fat fook that could surf, topping out at 255 6 years ago. All new clothes in an expensive town where a decent work style is expected now instead of just suits, costs some shekels.
Remember the subway diet, that fat dude Jared ate a subway sandwich for breakfast & one for lunch then a regular dinner.....all in all less calories