Weight loss is harder than rocket science.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005

I wonder what Sinclairs workout program.

All the anti aging guys want to curb mTOR but you need it too.
Yeah, him being a geneticist, mTOR is one of 3 major epigenomic pathways he's interested in.

from NIH:
Abstract
The mammalian/mechanistic target of rapamycin (mTOR) is a key component of cellular metabolism that integrates nutrient sensing with cellular processes that fuel cell growth and proliferation. Although the involvement of the mTOR pathway in regulating life span and aging has been studied extensively in the last decade, the underpinning mechanisms remain elusive. In this review, we highlight the emerging insights that link mTOR to various processes related to aging, such as nutrient sensing, maintenance of proteostasis, autophagy, mitochondrial dysfunction, cellular senescence, and decline in stem cell function.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6611156/

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Medical practitioners prescribe sarcopenia to people at a young age. You're not young anymore, just take it easy is common health advice from Dr's. The good news is that train of thought has been changing quickly and you see more and more docs advise strength training for the aged and aging.

Getting into the weeds on cellular activity is just another away to allow people to be convinced they are broken...look how many people really believe they are allergic to gluten.

Physical Therapists are the worst because they are supposed to be in the business of making people physically healthy .....but currently it's the least likely place where you will receive advice or instructions on how to get stronger and healthier. Look how many people think they are going something physically positive for them by doing yoga, which is a common subject for PT's mostly because they believe in the medical fallacy of stretching.

One interesting thing is the amount of chiropractors that won't do adjustments anymore is growing rapidly. The veil is off and it's accepted by Chiro's that aren't bad people that adjustments are purely mental (placebo) ...and knowing this they are doing other things (placebos) to give patients the confidence to resume activities. Not to mention adjustments have an element of danger to them and should be avoided.

Fat acceptance is poison.

Reactions: grapedrink

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I think there is really powerful global effect to all the systems in the body by loading with heavy weights.

*Heavy is a relative term, of course.

You are sending a really potent survival signal that makes the body thrive.

Cold and heat send the same potent signal.

Last edited:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I think there is really powerful global effect to all the systems in the body by loading with heavy weights.

*Heavy is a relative term, of course.

You are sending is really potent survival signal that makes the body thrive.

Cold and heat send the same potent signal.
When I lift something heavier it's usually around a couple kilo's more than before and sometimes it's weeks or months before I get those kilos. When someone is new to strength training they will lift sometimes 10-20 kilos more than last time in a week. Relative for sure.

Reactions: Autoprax

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Getting into the weeds on cellular activity is just another away to allow people to be convinced they are broken...look how many people really believe they are allergic to gluten.
Plants produce toxic proteins like gluten as a defense mechanism so in a sense we're all allergic to them by design. Some of us are simply more sensitive than others.

Physical Therapists are the worst because they are supposed to be in the business of making people physically healthy .....but currently it's the least likely place where you will receive advice or instructions on how to get stronger and healthier. Look how many people think they are going something physically positive for them by doing yoga, which is a common subject for PT's mostly because they believe in the medical fallacy of stretching.

One interesting thing is the amount of chiropractors that won't do adjustments anymore is growing rapidly. The veil is off and it's accepted by Chiro's that aren't bad people that adjustments are purely mental (placebo) ...and knowing this they are doing other things (placebos) to give patients the confidence to resume activities. Not to mention adjustments have an element of danger to them and should be avoided.
Not sure what you mean by "the medical fallacy of stretching". I went to a chiro for years and I think it helped to an extent. I went to a PT once and he showed me the McKenzie Method, which is basically stretching like yoga. After about a year, the low back and neck issues that I had for many years were no longer an issue that kept me from activities like surfing.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Went from 6'1 and 218 to 194 since Thanksgiving. Little bit of yogurt with granola in it for breakfast. 2 hard boiled eggs and a handful of dates for lunch. Light dinner (fish and rice most often). The main thing was eliminating stopping for fast food or convenience store food while on the road for work and no soda. Other than weight lifting, 5-mile walks or surfing 6 days a week.
Reached 190 this past week. Losing 28 pounds took about 15 years off of my surfing this past swell. Now the main thing is staying injury free.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I lost a few pounds in the last couple of months, I just stopped getting seconds.