Watch out! Cyclist coming through

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done

That is how I believe I got giardia. Wipe the top of those low bottles off after a water crossing.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
FecalFace said:
the janitor said:
aha! thanks

weird hipsters and their noncomformist bottle placements trip me out
MOAR water is always better on touring bikes.

Just don't be running over no doggy sh!t with your front tire. :barf:

This is more my style. :smile2:

No, not the red stockings, you pervs. :shameonyou:
The bike-beverage-carry-challenge is on! :D

But really, why bother when this works...

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
stu dog said:
000 said:
people cycle on roads other than pch?
SO fucking hat the bicylcist on the PCH riding two/three/four wide on the shoulder outside of their part of the road :censored: then there's a women's UCLA cycling group that once a week in the morning takes up the entire inside lane during the morning weekday commute :censored:

What's are the rules in CA regarding cyclists a) riding 3-4 abreast and b) cyclists riding in automobile lanes? Maybe cops should start ticketing cyclists who break the rules.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
hal9000 said:
stu dog said:
000 said:
SO fucking hat the bicylcist on the PCH riding two/three/four wide on the shoulder outside of their part of the road :censored: then there's a women's UCLA cycling group that once a week in the morning takes up the entire inside lane during the morning weekday commute :censored:

What's are the rules in CA regarding cyclists a) riding 3-4 abreast and b) cyclists riding in automobile lanes? Maybe cops should start ticketing cyclists who break the rules.
Not so fast Hal.

If there is no bike lane or clear shoulder, bicycles can ride on the road.
And you have to give them the minimum of 3' room when overtaking.

Maybe you should get ticketed for not knowing that.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Sharkbiscuit said:
bigtuna said:
Sharkbiscuit said:
Cyclist in the video is a boss.

(1)UCLA team...is this 5:30 on a Sunday morning, or 7:45 on a Tuesday morning?

(2)One sounds completely reasonable, the other is just laughably inconsiderate to literally thousands of people. You're wasting ten seconds in Jax Beach blowing a stop sign when we all know you're blowing the stop sign. Having a rolling spandex donkey parade on PCH on a weekday morning...
1/2) see "retarded" comment about others adjusting their lives to fit your schedule.
:roflmao:

Yeah, if you don't see anything inconsiderate or self-absorbed about a recreational bike team using PCH en masse during rush hour...

If you phrase it as "others", like the UCLA bike team is "society" performing some essential duty, and "your", singular, like I'm some sort of misanthrope Grinch alone up on Mount Crumpet, esoterically going to work on a weekday morning...

"Society" hates group Lancers' fucking guts, full stop. "Society" is trying to drive to work on PCH, not group-Lance-impede "society" on its way to pay 10.5% state income tax to help subsidize UCLA.

LA Times said:
In 1982, Caltrans predicted that by the year 2000, more than 50,000 cars a day would use some parts of PCH between Civic Center Way and Sunset Boulevard. Traffic has already overtaken the forecast, reaching 53,000 cars a day just south of Topanga Canyon Boulevard in 1985.
"I found that if you're backed up two miles on Topanga, it takes you 18 minutes to get through the light and onto PCH. What I'm trying to figure out is, how in the world can people put up with this, do it every day?"
That's almost 30 years ago. 1987 LAT: http://articles.latimes.com/1987-07-20/local/me-3077_1_pacific-coast-highway

Super bonus "drive where you live", Northers for GWS:

"And now all those people from Ventura County and the West Valley are looking for a way to trim their driving time, and an awful lot of them are picking PCH instead of the Ventura Freeway."

California, along with most other states that have vast metropolitan areas, fvcked up big time by not investing in mass transit.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
What about cyclists who ride outside of a clear bike lane. Happens all the time. Plenty of room in the bike lane and they are riding in the middle of the road, side by side so they can talk to their buddy.

Cyclists should be ticketed a lot more often. In Southern California, they are some of the most egregious offenders when it comes to breaking traffic laws. Constantly blowing stop signs, stop lights, not yielding to pedestrians, ect....

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
FecalFace said:
hal9000 said:
stu dog said:
000 said:

Not so fast Hal.

If there is no bike lane or clear shoulder, bicycles can ride on the road.
And you have to give them the minimum of 3' room when overtaking.

Maybe you should get ticketed for not knowing that.

I wasn't saying to just automatically ticket cyclists. I was initially wondering what the road rules were for bicycles.

I 100% support people riding bikes and giving bikes room. What I don't support is the aggressive moves people make on their bikes to claim their territory and to prove a point.

It also drives me crazy when bikes ride 3-4 wide in a travel lane and don't allow cars to pass. No two people driving cars would be allowed to drive side-by-side in a single lane of traffic just so they can chat while driving. The general rule is, if you're moving slower than the prevailing traffic, move over and let the traffic pass.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
jkb said:
What about cyclists who ride outside of a clear bike lane. Happens all the time. Plenty of room in the bike lane and they are riding in the middle of the road, side by side so they can talk to their buddy.

Cyclists should be ticketed a lot more often. In Southern California, they are some of the most egregious offenders when it comes to breaking traffic laws. Constantly blowing stop signs, stop lights, not yielding to pedestrians, ect....

This.

Who's Your Daddy

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
Carlsbad, California
Visit site
If I bring this suit, I will seek injunctive relief, attorney's fees, statutory damages, compensatory damages (including consequential damages), and punitive damages. If I obtain a judgment, I will act vigorously to enforce it, and to this end I will record a judgment lien against any real property that you own in whole or in part anywhere in California; if the judgment remains unpaid, I will foreclose on each lien until it is paid in full.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
jkb said:
Are you sure about that? More than cars? :foreheadslap:

How about we FIRST start ticketiing cars who don't give bicycles room, sit in the left lane on the freeway when not passing, don't use turn signals or roll through stop signs?

Nobody got killed by a cyclist rolling through a stop sign that I know of.
To demand bicycles to come to a complete stop at stop signs is as ridiculous as requiring cars to use parking brakes at stop signs.

The whole anti-bike movement is petty AF.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I'm scared to death or traffic. I try to ride just before dawn. I know I have the right of way in many situations, but I also know it just takes one person having a bad day to kill me.

I think Gdaddy said it before, "Pedestrians have the right of way, but they should still look both ways while crossing the street."

There is no reason to be riding three or four abreast on a busy street during rush hour. What kind of a cyclist enjoys riding in heavy traffic anyway?? I'll take an empty canyon any day.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Who's Your Daddy said:
If I bring this suit, I will seek injunctive relief, attorney's fees, statutory damages, compensatory damages (including consequential damages), and punitive damages. If I obtain a judgment, I will act vigorously to enforce it, and to this end I will record a judgment lien against any real property that you own in whole or in part anywhere in California; if the judgment remains unpaid, I will foreclose on each lien until it is paid in full.
:roflmao:

I remember that post. Weren't you supposed to meet up with him for some reason and then he got all butthurt when you cancelled but had his personal info.?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Simple solution. Construct bike lines/sharrows (I like that more as a combo of sh*t and sparrow but I digress) but place a respective annual tax on bicycle sales and registration just like you have for cars. And also hold all bicyclists to traffic laws that cars have to obey with the same level of fines.

I make sure to allow both bicyclists and motorcyclists as much room as possible on the road because I have no desire to see them get injured or worse but there are times when they are complete idiots and put themselves in self-destructive situations. Cars obviously do the same and worse but don't have anywhere near the same level of exposure.

The 1%/99% ratio is apt and I understand the rebellion against society and the car but don't be an ass about it. If you can't maintain the flow of traffic, you are a hazard and should not be on the road. No different than the asses going 55 mph in the fast lane on the freeway.