Watch out! Cyclist coming through

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
McHatin said:
wth is a "sharrow"? am I missing something
It was my safeword until a youtube video ruined it :censored:

I think it is a lane with a big arrow and bike logo . . . Meant to be a shared lane for bikes and cars :shrug:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
grapedrink said:
McHatin said:
It was my safeword until a youtube video ruined it :censored:

I think it is a lane with a big arrow and bike logo . . . Meant to be a shared lane for bikes and cars :shrug:
I thought it was engrish for "shallow" :shrug:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
McHatin said:
it's the thing municipalities had to do to remind cars that bikes
are legally allowed to use the road and help cut down on road
rage incidents.

they seem to have had the opposite effect.

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
The only bike/car incident I've had was when an older gentleman (asshole) in a truck got pissed at me for blowing through Stop signs on my MTB, said I was helping to further ruin the reputation of bicyclists.
I found this odd since it didn't look like his ass or any part of his body had come in contact with a bicycle in about 40 years.
He demanded my drivers license after claiming to be a retired cop, I didn't have it with me so I offered to give him my CDL number, that's when he got really torqued and sped off.

I enjoyed that.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
CharmingSophisticate said:
The only bike/car incident I've had was when an older gentleman (asshole) in a truck got pissed at me for blowing through Stop signs on my MTB, said I was helping to further ruin the reputation of bicyclists.
:roflmao:

This is the funniest part of the entire anti-bicycle movement. The sheer pettiness of it.

I wonder if drivers think about reputation of the car driving community when they do whatever they do on the road?

When I see somebody do something stupid in a car, can I use that as en excuse to hate on all drivers and break the law on a bicycle?

Because that's how things seem to work here. :monkey:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
If Critical Mass never existed there wouldn't be as much hate

They brought it upon themselves.

BackdoorHattem

OTF status
Apr 26, 2012
Anybody that has had to drive PCH through Malibu with any frequency at all knows how annoying these lancer idiots can be. I have seen traffic back up for a mile or more because they are taking up a whole lane going way slower than the flow of traffic. At that point it's an inconvenience to many, many people.... not just Stu.

I ride a bike to and from work every day, and guess what, i ride in the BIKE LANES on the designated BIKE ROUTES. That's what they're there for. Nobody seems mad at the people using bikes to get around to work and whatnot in an urban environment.
Taking up an entire lane on PCH on a weekday morning is not ok though. There's thousands of miles of paved highway here to choose from, it's no different than bringing the whole cycle "team" out to the 405 for a leisurely evening ride up to the Getty.

Cyclists are like SUP's. They have every right to be there, right? Think about this the next time some douche sweeps out at your local when it's hollow, steep, and theres no reason to be there on a SUP.

In short, if you support cyclists using congested commuter highways for their leisure rides, you also support SUP's in crowded lineups when the surf is firing.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Greg Griffin said:
The vehicles are not much of a threat or weapon .

ONLY, when You're going to Aloha Tower or The Elks Club for dinner down Ala Moana Blvd or Kalakaua Ave on a tandem bicycle .... with only two lanes. :shrug:

:wink2:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
ifallalot said:

critical mass (in SF) was born from the kind of bullshit automobile elitism
and disregard for cyclists' safety on display in this very thread.

you brought it upon yourselves.

I don't condone the bullshit that cyclists get in to during a CM nor have I
participated, but let's look at the facts.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Took the drive down to Diamond head and Waikiki

Lots of runners and cyclists

Everyone getting along , everyday .

We used to ride to the Shorebird from Halekoa Drive every weekend until they changed the menu .

Feel way safer on a bike in this area compared to the North Shore .

BackdoorHattem

OTF status
Apr 26, 2012
afoaf said:
ifallalot said:

Automobile elitism? If I rode my bike down some train tracks and got run over by a train, it would be the train conductors fault, right?

I agree that there are some idiot drivers out there, but this idea that bikes get an equal share of the road will never be socially accepted, even if it is the LAW.

Look at it this way. When somebody is walking on the bike path you cyclist pussies freak out and yell at them. Why? For the same reasons we honk at you when you ride in the middle of PCH. Get over it and just go to soul cycle, then at least you won't have to keep shaving your legs.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
afoaf said:
ifallalot said:

So the idea is to cause more animosity? Not smart, these people must believe in Intelligent Design