Watch out! Cyclist coming through

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
On my new bike, have M970 XTR triple up front. 44-32-22 is stock (I think I am remembering this right), but I put on 48-36-28 because the old gear were somewhat worn, and new gears are, well, new and slick and shiny!

Cassette is 11-42 (also new).

So for gear ratio we can check it here.

Which comes out to :

1615587749585.png

Certainly some overlap, but I don't mind that too much...worse is having to get off and push of have the knees complain too much.

When the cassette wears out, will contemplate going to a double 48-34 and get an 11-46 cassette.

• Love
Reactions: plasticbertrand

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
My buddy recommended it when I was first looking. How hard is it to transition? I assume a shop is best suited for it?
Believe me, you will not miss the extra gears because the gear spread stays pretty much the same, just make sure you tune gear ratios to what you ride the most.

If you ride road and gravel or flats a lot, you will need a bigger chainring, if you do a lot of climbing and loose surface riding, smaller.... Etc. You will need to instal just a new chainring and chain (to 1x) the rest goes in the trash - left shifter, front derailleur and all old chainrings...

If you're a bit mechanically inclined and if you like to tinker, you could do it yourself easily.
Other than the chain tool (which is good to have anyway) you will not need any specialty tools.

Reactions: manbearpig

Chile Verde

OTF status
Sep 29, 2011
where the wind begins
Just before the rains... Yes I made it. :poop:

View attachment 106454
Great looking bike. Its funny cause Santa Cruz frame colors always look better live than described in conversation. I used had the "tennis ball yellow/baby sh!t green" Hightower LT, originally was uncertain but ended up stocked. Now I am on this and would love to hit that jump.IMG_3633.jpg

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Congrats Drainer!
That thing looks more fun than a 55 gallon drum of Astrolube...

This is a significant upgrade over that Stance. The Trance maestro suspension is a more sophisticated multi pivot longer travel design. The lateral stiffness is one quality that really stands out, tracking feels kinda like a Pivot, or Evil in that regard. The Stance is a glorified single pivot suspension design more for beginners.

Start riding at Mission (missing) Trails, hit up Lake Hodges, Sweetwater bike park, and Black Mountain.

No kickstand needed but please consider riding with a bell for blind corners at speed, warns other trail users.

ENJOY!

This is actually a really well done video and they are a good combo.

As a pervert heterosexual male I enjoyed her combination of nervousness and willingness.

Apparently she has a real job so no OnlyFans and a respectable instagram since she is apparently the real deal:

I have been enjoying the riding locally and will likely venture to a new area today.

I have so much to learn.