Watch out! Cyclist coming through

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I'm not really sure that's true. I'll bet there's things you get by spending more (weight, comfort maybe), but as far as I can tell, there are only two safety standards -- whatever you call the the one that all helmets have to meet to be sold legally, and MIPS, a newer standard about rotational impacts (ie your head sliding on the ground when you crash). I just bought one of the cheapest (road) helmets I could find that meets both standards (the specialized align II for $50) and as far as I can tell in actual crash tests (https://helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html) it's up there with the expensive ones. I actually like the look better than a lot of the pricier ones too, it's pretty subdued. Maybe the real lancers will know what it is and flag me as a kook but whatever.

Otherwise yeah, definitely agree with not buying used. It could be totally useless and you'd have no idea.
MIPS is its own deal developed by some Swedish science/safety bitch.
They’re their own company and license it out.
While I haven’t tested it (yet), MIPS is legit IMO.
My remaining brain cells are priceless at this point in the game.

Bell(Bell/Giro) worked with MIPS to develop MIPS Spherical

For Mtb, mo money = mo ventilation
I really like BELL Helmets

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
Wanted to share some new bike stoke. Ive been riding an old 80s univega with down tube shifters for the last, I dunno, about 15 years. Just kind of casually on the bike path and around town. Lately I've been taking it out on longer rides, 20-40 miles. Climbing some hills and really noticing how sketchy the thing actually is. So started shopping for a new bike about 2 weeks ago and found out about all the supply shortages and whatnot. The Jamis popped on my radar but I didnt think much of it at the time. Had a second look and realized its got decent components, steel frame, carbon fork, tons of mounting points and fit my bill. One shop about 50 miles away from me just happened to have one "by mistake" in my size and I pulled the trigger on a Jamis renegade s3. STOKED! New bike technology blows my mind. This thing is a dream to ride compared to my old univega.

IMG_4695.JPG

littlewave

Michael Peterson status
Nov 15, 2009
Orange County
La Costa is the best trail near you.

The climb is tough and techy but the downhill is siiiiick.

You can also take the paved fireroad on the way up but it's like 20% grade.

Never skip a leg day.

33°05'08.7"N 117°13'21.0"W
Friends just bought a place near there, will have to check it out next time we visit.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

grundy

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 16, 2005
Wanted to share some new bike stoke. Ive been riding an old 80s univega with down tube shifters for the last, I dunno, about 15 years. Just kind of casually on the bike path and around town. Lately I've been taking it out on longer rides, 20-40 miles. Climbing some hills and really noticing how sketchy the thing actually is. So started shopping for a new bike about 2 weeks ago and found out about all the supply shortages and whatnot. The Jamis popped on my radar but I didnt think much of it at the time. Had a second look and realized its got decent components, steel frame, carbon fork, tons of mounting points and fit my bill. One shop about 50 miles away from me just happened to have one "by mistake" in my size and I pulled the trigger on a Jamis renegade s3. STOKED! New bike technology blows my mind. This thing is a dream to ride compared to my old univega.

View attachment 106300
I've been riding a Renegade for the last few years and LOVE it. Great bike. Have fun with that thing!

Sadly, mine is a carbon model and I'm currently trying to figure out if the frame is starting to crack, of if I'm seeing a scratch.

Guess it's time to head back to the shop where I bought it.

Jul 21, 2015
Kali are legit and a great value... good on you.

Went helmet shopping today.

Amazing how they've figured out how to milk so much money out of EPS and plastic while at the same time offering minimal protection.

I'm not buying the MIPS thing, the rights which have apparently been sold to POC.

My head Is worth about $5 but the $65 Kali was the best I could make out.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta
Jul 21, 2015
Agree with a lot of what your saying... i think the vt test is a good barometer of that too. i just dont want to see someone to buy a 5000 bike and then be on the trail with a 50 jammer helmet that isnt designed for sending it. i know there is a minimum standard and other brands deliver or exceed those standards at an exceptional price point. all good as long as there is as much thought put into buying a helmet as there was into buying the bike! =)

I'm not really sure that's true. I'll bet there's things you get by spending more (weight, comfort maybe), but as far as I can tell, there are only two safety standards -- whatever you call the the one that all helmets have to meet to be sold legally, and MIPS, a newer standard about rotational impacts (ie your head sliding on the ground when you crash). I just bought one of the cheapest (road) helmets I could find that meets both standards (the specialized align II for $50) and as far as I can tell in actual crash tests (https://helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html) it's up there with the expensive ones. I actually like the look better than a lot of the pricier ones too, it's pretty subdued. Maybe the real lancers will know what it is and flag me as a kook but whatever.

Otherwise yeah, definitely agree with not buying used. It could be totally useless and you'd have no idea.

Reactions: Tarab_ish

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
La Costa is the best trail near you.

The climb is tough and techy but the downhill is siiiiick.

You can also take the paved fireroad on the way up but it's like 20% grade.

Never skip a leg day.

33°05'08.7"N 117°13'21.0"W
I usually take the fire road up. It's not too bad and well worth the downhil on Horned lizard

Reactions: plasticbertrand

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
[...]i just dont want to see someone to buy a 5000 bike and then be on the trail with a 50 jammer helmet that isnt designed for sending it[....]
Definitely, and as someone else mentioned, air circulation could be a thing that you get when you pay for it.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I usually take the fire road up. It's not too bad and well worth the downhil on Horned lizard
It's all about the reward. I always need that carrot dangled in front of me. :dancing:

The climb is not bad on a light trail bike but my enduro bike is pushing 30 pounds and I'm pushing 58. :(

Nothing worse than trails with tough climbs and shitty downhills.

Last edited:

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
It's all about the reward. I always need that carrot dangled in front of me. :dancing:

The climb is not bad on a light trail bike but my enduro bike is pushing 30 pounds and I'm pushing 58. :(

Haha man, I'm 46 on a 35lbs 180mm enduro bike. I usually stop at the water tower for a sec and then stop at the top for a few minutes. The climb is definitely hard for me. No pain no gain I guess, ha.
Is it easier going up switchback? Probably should give that a go

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Haha man, I'm 46 on a 35lbs 180mm enduro bike. I usually stop at the water tower for a sec and then stop at the top for a few minutes. The climb is definitely hard for me. No pain no gain I guess, ha.
Is it easier going up switchback? Probably should give that a go
Switchback is not as steep but I never made it all the way up without having to put my foot down or walk over the techie rock climbs and I hate doing that.

The service road climb is a like a chairlift in comparison but the grade is murder.
It's worth the effort, I love that downhill.
Never can do more than 2 laps tho.
I think I've done 3 once.

Last edited:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA

How how many chainring on the crank? What is lowest tooth count on lowest gear?