Jun 2, 2008
For many of my bikes, from Trail, Enduro, and DH, i think these are the sh1t:

If you like to ride chunk.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I ended up with this today:

2018 Giant Trance 2. Owner said approx 500 miles on it and pretty much only ridden as of the last 6 months. He seemed to have taken care of it. Fit felt better than the Stance, shifted smoothly, so I went with it. Slightly better components than the Stance, lighter, and has a dropper post. I paid 2K.

Please tell me I fcked up.

Also, any recommendations on a kickstand?

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I ended up with this today:

2018 Giant Trance 2. Owner said approx 500 miles on it and pretty much only ridden as of the last 6 months. He seemed to have taken care of it. Fit felt better than the Stance, shifted smoothly, so I went with it. Slightly better components than the Stance, lighter, and has a dropper post. I paid 2K.

Please tell me I fcked up.

Also, any recommendations on a kickstand?
I hear walmart has a special on kickstands, buy one and get a 4" thick gel padded saddle with it for free. They'll even give you back the spoke reflectors and that piece of plastic that comes between the cassette and the spokes on new bikes that everyone who's not a kook removes.

How long before Caca breaks a collarbone?

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
I have no idea the blue book or value, but it seems to have all the bits you need to go ride and be comfortable. Stay in your comfort zone, don't hit any sweet jumps yet, regardless of what the cool kids are saying.

Go ride!

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
The bummer of buying second hand is that you'd best be suited having a bike shop dial in your suspension for your weight and ability if you don't know what you're doing. You can probably go pay them to do it but given the current service demands it may be weeks before they can fit you in, especially on a bike you bought elsewhere. If the seller didn't include one you can always buy a high pressure shock pump and search google for instructions and do it yourself.

Also assuming those wheels are setup for tubeless and have been sitting in the sellers garage you may want to add some fresh sealant before you hit the trails...

And I shouldn't have to tell you, but make sure you have a helmet that fits properly. You're gonna need to protect the little brains you have between your ears.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Seller offered to set up the suspension for me with his pump so we did that upon purchase.

It's tubeless with new sealant added.

Looks like lots of helmets on Craigs and OfferUp. Do I go full face? Dental work is expensive.

Reactions: $kully

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Seller offered to set up the suspension for me with his pump so we did that upon purchase.

Looks like lots of helmets on Craigs and OfferUp. Do I go full face? Dental work is expensive.
You’re going to have a lot of fun on that bike.
Are you talking about new helmets?
Dont buy a used helmet.
Buy a MIPS helmet.
Learn to fall (better).

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
Helmets are a one to two year use-and-throw-away item. If you have a decent crash, replace it. Some companies offer a crash replacement program at a discounted rate.

Reactions: Mr Doof

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Congrats Drainer!
That thing looks more fun than a 55 gallon drum of Astrolube...

This is a significant upgrade over that Stance. The Trance maestro suspension is a more sophisticated multi pivot longer travel design. The lateral stiffness is one quality that really stands out, tracking feels kinda like a Pivot, or Evil in that regard. The Stance is a glorified single pivot suspension design more for beginners.

Start riding at Mission (missing) Trails, hit up Lake Hodges, Sweetwater bike park, and Black Mountain.

No kickstand needed but please consider riding with a bell for blind corners at speed, warns other trail users.

ENJOY!

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

Full face isn't necessary unless you're doing full on DH.

But I wouldn't buy a used helmet. Fit is the most important element over any tech. And they're designed to be replaced after impact even if you can't see the crushed foam inside. Helmet is one place you shouldn't really skimp, if you can't afford a proper helmet you have no business buying a fancy ass bike. You need to save all 6 of those brain cells.

FWIW I really like POC helmets for both bike and snow sports. Good quality and they fit me well. But not all heads are the same. Fit should always be #1. POC, Smith, Gyro, Etc. all make good helmets. Go try them all on. Should be snug but comfortable with vents and adjustability. Most MTB helmets come with visors and a bit more protection in the back of the helmet than road helmets. Some of the newer gravel helmets bridge the gap. I'd start with POC or Smith but go with whatever fits best.

Reactions: fargy483
Jul 21, 2015
6d helmets are legit. As are TLD A2. I also like Kali and the Interceptor 2 is intriguing. I am tempted to wear a full face on my gravel bike!

If you have a $50 head you wear a $50 helmet. If you have a $200 head you wear a $200 helmet. Pretty academic. Buy a nice one that fits.

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
6d helmets are legit. As are TLD A2. I also like Kali and the Interceptor 2 is intriguing. I am tempted to wear a full face on my gravel bike!

If you have a $50 head you wear a $50 helmet. If you have a $200 head you wear a $200 helmet. Pretty academic. Buy a nice one that fits.

Went helmet shopping today.

Amazing how they've figured out how to milk so much money out of EPS and plastic while at the same time offering minimal protection.

I'm not buying the MIPS thing, the rights which have apparently been sold to POC.

My head Is worth about $5 but the $65 Kali was the best I could make out.

• Haha
Reactions: $kully

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Wait, is casa's real name Paul? :unsure:

Absolute HERO dirt today boys! :jamon:

(y)2K ft up, 2K ft down!

time for some carbo loading :beer:

Reactions: ghostshaper

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
I'm not really sure that's true. I'll bet there's things you get by spending more (weight, comfort maybe), but as far as I can tell, there are only two safety standards -- whatever you call the the one that all helmets have to meet to be sold legally, and MIPS, a newer standard about rotational impacts (ie your head sliding on the ground when you crash). I just bought one of the cheapest (road) helmets I could find that meets both standards (the specialized align II for $50) and as far as I can tell in actual crash tests (https://helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html) it's up there with the expensive ones. I actually like the look better than a lot of the pricier ones too, it's pretty subdued. Maybe the real lancers will know what it is and flag me as a kook but whatever.

Otherwise yeah, definitely agree with not buying used. It could be totally useless and you'd have no idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: fargy483