Vegan influencer comes clean

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
The year (junior) I dropped out of college and lived on the N shore, all I ate was rice, beans and eggs. I had a chitty cheap ass rice cooker, but I'd always have some cooked rice ready to go in the mini-frig. Easy to add either canned beans or fresh eggs.
That actually reminds me of how I came to make the connection between what I ate and how it made me feel. Towards the end of my freshman year of college, I was starting to get really sick of the Sodexho Marriot dorm slop. I started eating mostly rice, beans, salad, fruit and eggs. It was probably the closest to a vegetarian I’ve ever been, although more than anything it was switching to a whole food based diet that did the trick IMO

Reactions: racer1

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I fvcking love sweet potatoes. I cut them like crinkle fries

I fry them in avocado oil and salt. Or bake.

You can't digest the resistant starch but your gut microbe can and then they sh!t out essential fatty acids, which you can absorb.

fvcking nature is a trip!

Reactions: crustBrother

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I fvcking love sweet potatoes. I cut them like crinkle fries

I fry them in avocado oil and salt. Or bake.

You can't digest the resistant starch but your gut microbe can and then they sh!t out essential fatty acids, which you can absorb.

fvcking nature is a trip!
I like the Japanese yams. Purplish in the outside with white flesh. Great simply boiled in water.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
That actually reminds me of how I came to make the connection between what I ate and how it made me feel.
Same.

But for me it was living up in Alaska so broke I didn't even have a pot to p1ss in. Living in a tent and driving an old $600 rust-bucket truck so eaten up by cancer that I could see the front wheels through the floor boards.

But I was snagging some beautiful Sockeye Salmon from the local rivers. Went for 3 weeks eating nothing else. Felt FANTASTIC.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
How long you roast your chicken bits and at what temp? Does it make a big difference versus not roasting? I Make my own stock with feet, but I usually just blanch them before putting them in the IP
425-450deg until it's brown, maybe 15 minutes (I check it without timing). It'll give the stock a deeper flavor and color. Think how boiled chicken tastes vs roasted chicken and put that flavor into the stock.

Reactions: grapedrink

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I don't remember, but it wasn't one of the popular ones.

I just saw a really good one though called "The Game Changers" on Netflix. It's produced by James Cameron, Novak Djokovic and Chris Paul. It's about James Wilks (UFC) journey to plant based and plant based athletes: Nate Diaz, Bryant Jennings, Arnold Schwartz, Scott Jurek, Alex Honnold, NFL players, etc.
I'm half way through watching this and my boy wanted to hit the skate park before dark so off we went. So far I'm intrigued by what the doco has served up, so to speak.