Vegan influencer comes clean

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Basically the majority of the U.S. is so confused on what to eat
So true. And so bizzarre because its really quite simple. Eat a variety of unprocessed plants and animals. Maybe chopped and cooked if necessary; but, when possible, eaten raw. Sure, you can do a lot better than that, but most of america is stuffing their pie holes with an endless flow of partially hydrogenated goo and countless similar manufactured substances. If they just limited themselves to putting stuff their face that is visually identifiable as plant or animal, they'd be born again. New fucking creatures. Really.

::shrug::

Last edited:
Reactions: Swallow Tail

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
6 years or so. Like I said, meat (any kind) didn't taste the same to me after a month off of it.
Prefer vegetarian/vegan food, but no fake meat BS.

I'm not anti-meat, I'm pro-vegetable.

The "fake meat" stuff from Impossible Burger or Beyond Burger is ultra-processed food.

The more processed it is, generally speaking, the less good it is for you and your fellow omnivore.

Crustbro is spot on about eating a wide variety of food...it is the curse/blessing of being an omnivore.

A good mix of cooked (increases bio-availability of nutrients) and uncooked food (because some food don't need no cookin') which is minimally processed is likely best. You know, that whole 'golden mean' thing those ancient folks went on about while discussing the nature of a spherical earth and how sacrificing to the right god(s) meant victory over whatever ails you.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Wifey made squash, potato, onion, carrot, broccoli enchilada-type dish lastnight with a salsa and curry glaze. Fuego.

I do meet a lot of dumb/fat vegans who seem to just eat carbs and fake meat. EAT VEGETABLES you morons.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
that sounds nice.

ethically speaking, why should we privilege one bio-physical phenomena, say consciousness, over another, say photo-synthesis?

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Wifey made squash, potato, onion, carrot, broccoli enchilada-type dish lastnight with a salsa and curry glaze. Fuego.
I do meet a lot of dumb/fat vegans who seem to just eat carbs and fake meat. EAT VEGETABLES you morons.
Lots of vegan stuff I see on IG seems like an expensive fancied up prison diet. Loaded with carbs and surprisingly lots of salt. Impossible burger is like the vegan alternative to salsbury steak.

My current favorite dinner is soup. Super easy and have been having at least 3x per week.
1. Make stock - Roast chicken necks, backs and feet in the oven and pressure Instant Pot for 2hrs with bay leaves, celery trimmings, coriander seeds, . Cool down and it turns into jell-o, enough for 3-4 days of soup.
*Dump above parts in the nearby field and catch a wild animal on trail camera (last night it was a fox)
2. Sautee (in instant pot) mushrooms, celery, kale, scallions, a couple of hot peppers and add the stock.
3. Add broiled or instant pot shredded chicken or broiled salmon belly/collar and pour in my bowl.
4. Chop up lots of cabbage, cilantro, mint, celery leaves and parsley and dump it on top.

Reactions: grapedrink

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA

Nice.

It helps that my wife is an insane, creative cook. No one would think our diet is boring.

Reactions: racer1

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Lots of vegan stuff I see on IG seems like an expensive fancied up prison diet. Loaded with carbs and surprisingly lots of salt. Impossible burger is like the vegan alternative to salsbury steak.

My current favorite dinner is soup. Super easy and have been having at least 3x per week.
1. Make stock - Roast chicken necks, backs and feet in the oven and pressure Instant Pot for 2hrs with bay leaves, celery trimmings, coriander seeds, . Cool down and it turns into jell-o, enough for 3-4 days of soup.
*Dump above parts in the nearby field and catch a wild animal on trail camera (last night it was a fox)
2. Sautee (in instant pot) mushrooms, celery, kale, scallions, a couple of hot peppers and add the stock.
3. Add broiled or instant pot shredded chicken or broiled salmon belly/collar and pour in my bowl.
4. Chop up lots of cabbage, cilantro, mint, celery leaves and parsley and dump it on top.
How long you roast your chicken bits and at what temp? Does it make a big difference versus not roasting? I Make my own stock with feet, but I usually just blanch them before putting them in the IP

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
if you're eating rice and lentils/beans it's cheap as fcuk.

soon as you try and spruce it up or add "vegan" food .....any kind of protein supplements, or fake meats or even organic veggies, costs add up quickly.

You can eat very simple, basic veggie diet but it's incredibly boring.....making it interesting usually adds costs. "pimping" salads for eg.

Lunch for me: piece of fish I caught 5 minutes from the house, squeeze of lemon, half an avo, and a simple green salad from the garden.
fk that sounds good. u got a pond in ur backyard or st??

MitchellC

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 28, 2016
The year (junior) I dropped out of college and lived on the N shore, all I ate was rice, beans and eggs. I had a chitty cheap ass rice cooker, but I'd always have some cooked rice ready to go in the mini-frig. Easy to add either canned beans or fresh eggs.

I was usually too lazy, too tired (or too stoned) to bother to go into Haliewa (where the old, old Foodland was across from the old, old post office), so typically I just got everything at Kammies (yet another icon gone), including my nightly 40 ouncer.

I came back 15 lbs heavier, but pretty ripped - no fat. Whatever it was, whether age (20) or diet, Calif girls had to put up with marathon sessions and nightly BJs.

It wasn't until many years later that I switched my diet to primarily veg, with meat/carbs on the side. l'm hoping the advanced gene therapy techniques directed toward organ infusion & regrowth - that are slowly coming on line - will deliver the promised anti-aging benefits so that I can go back to a traditional carnivore diet.

A few boutique operations are popping up around our place in Baja, so I'm going to have to evaluate the risk of pre-FDA approved processes now being made available in China and MX like stem cell replacement, etc.

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Nice.

It helps that my wife is an insane, creative cook. No one would think our diet is boring.
Same here. Wife is always trying some new recipe to add to our classics. Plus she's half Chinese so she refuses to spend money on sauces/dressings she can make herself.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
that sounds nice.

ethically speaking, why should we privilege one bio-physical phenomena, say consciousness, over another, say photo-synthesis?
Like I said, I don't care about animals dying or animal rights (although some factory farming is depressing).
I just like eating veg/vegan.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Same here. Wife is always trying some new recipe to add to our classics. Plus she's half Chinese so she refuses to spend money on sauces/dressings she can make herself.
Yep. My wife cooks a whole bunch of good food of all cuisines, lot of it from scratch. And ALL of it tastes good with Jeow Som which is the nectar of the gods. I'd put that stuff on ice cream given the chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: racer1

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Yep. My wife cooks a whole bunch of good food of all cuisines, lot of it from scratch. And ALL of it tastes good with Jeow Som which is the nectar of the gods. I'd put that stuff on ice cream given the chance.
I haven’t bought a bottle of salad dressing in over a decade. Oil, vinegar, lemon, and some simple spices go a long ways. With that and soy sauce, plus a few simple pantry items, you can make just about about any condiment/sauce.

The beauty of Asian cuisine is it all works harmoniously, whether it’s a meat dish or not. The carbs, veggie and protein components are all in the same bite, instead of the boring Western European approach of having it all separated.