Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
just ordered long line tkf and dropped off some pliny as well. his bday is tomorrow in case u duuus wanna drop off some goodies
You should really just get him a keg from the erBB bros. Does he even realize how beloved he is on here? LOL
I mean, he’s been Shaper of the Year for like, 8 years running now, right?

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Flare up looks hawt.

does it have a nose flip in the last few inches or just a stretched outline and roundtail?

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Flare up looks hawt.

does it have a nose flip in the last few inches or just a stretched outline and roundtail?
Not exactly sure, I just asked if he had a step up version and went with it. I know it’s not the best measure, but interestingly, the old lay’em on the ground and measure nose and tail….my 5’9 flare has more nose and tail flip than the 5’11 step up

Reactions: oeste858 and sdsrfr

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Anybody feel like their Flare is too wide for the stock dims? I just Yolo’d a 5’10 from varial so did’nt fondle first and man it feels like a lot of width. I’ve seen a bunch of other posts saying its HP despite all the width but its kinda hard to believe. Hopefully I’m pleasantly surprised. Or I should have gone custom at 19.75 for the 5’10 and beefed up the thickness.

Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
Anybody feel like their Flare is too wide for the stock dims? I just Yolo’d a 5’10 from varial so did’nt fondle first and man it feels like a lot of width. I’ve seen a bunch of other posts saying its HP despite all the width but its kinda hard to believe. Hopefully I’m pleasantly surprised. Or I should have gone custom at 19.75 for the 5’10 and beefed up the thickness.
dibs

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Yeah this was my concern with the stock 5' 8" coming in @ 20" wide. I almost created a mental block before giving it a chance. It took a little bit to wiggle, and this is why I didn't like it at first as I surfed into too small of waves, where I needed to generate a majority of the speed. I thought I made a mistake. Other boards are better for the small waves at least for me. Around stomach high then speed comes more naturally with the Flare and gets better from there. I am also biased as I tend surf boards around 19" wide. I did order a custom Flare from Tim and through our chat he recommended 5' 7" x19.75"x2.5". Anyway the more I surf the Flare, the more I appreciate the board.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
my 5’9x20x2.32 feels perfect to me. the lack of rocker flip in the last 3 inches threw me off more than the widths.

i tried to tell tim i was afraid of >20” boards like this but he kind of rolled his eyes back and reassured me that I wouldnt mind the 20” and he was right.

I was originally pushing for 5’9x19.75 bc my DD GX is 5’10x19.5

3 yrs later, zero regrets and I’m rarely riding that GX.